Author Topic: 1 lb LP tanks wont refill  (Read 20054 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
1 lb LP tanks wont refill
« on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:14 PM »
hey guys, i am trying to fill my 1 lb tanks off my 20 lbs... Been doing it for years but now the tanks are not filling at or or they fill up 1/10 of the tank....My large tank is 1/2 full soam I losing pressure or something? never had this happen before...help!!!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
faulty 20LB LP tank valve
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:16 PM »
alright, once again I am filling my 1 lb tanks and I tried to fill my tanks off another 20lb tank and that didnt work so I swapped 20lb tanks.....The 2nd tanks valve wont move, the handle turns but nothing happens...It has been attacked to my weber grill for a few months now....any way to fix or address this without killing myself?

Offline jaybird62

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: faulty 20LB LP tank valve
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:25 PM »
take it to a propane dealer that can handle it, or not your call.  can i have your ice rods?

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:33 PM »
take it to a propane dealer that can handle it, or not your call.  can i have your ice rods?

haha sure...

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1 lb LP tanks wont refill
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Is  the 20pdr   at room  temp,this  helps. Throw  the 1 pounders  in the freezer  for a while  also.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Is  the 20pdr   at room  temp,this  helps. Throw  the 1 pounders  in the freezer  for a while  also.

i keep everyting in the garage and its about 30 degrees in there now.... I always get at least a half fill no matter what the temp is...Maybe now that the 20lbr is half full warming the big tank may help....

I ak going to put my kerosene floor heater next to the 20lb tank to warm it up faster.... ;D

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2012, 05:35 PM »
DO NOT REFILL WITH THAT KEROSENE HEATER RUNNING...Yer better off bringing it in the house for a couple hours and put the 1lber in the freezer for the same...it'll filler right up!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Sound like you tightened it too tight when you shut it off, my dad had a similar thing with his tank.  Had to take it to dealer(propane) and they said it was shut off too tight.  He said shut off with 2 fingers only just snugly.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:39 PM »
DO NOT REFILL WITH THAT KEROSENE HEATER RUNNING...
X2, You would sure find out if you had a leak that way.  :o

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:53 PM »
I was going to suggest you set that 20lber on the wood stove and let 'er it warm up real good!

Of course, said in my best Foghorn Leghorn, "it's a joke son".  ;D

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:53 PM »

You will have to look for them ! They were right next to him where he was warming up the tank !

Warbonnett

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Hey TL, is it just the one, 1lber or is it ALL of the ones you tried? If it's just the one, perhaps the valve in it got stuck somehow. I'd try another if it's just the one, and if not, I'd gas the 20lb back up to full, "warm" it up, chill the mini, and have another go at it.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:10 PM »
NO! There is no way for you to fix a valve yourself. TRUST ME, I have repaired and replaced THOUSANDS of valves.
 If you got this tank as an exchange rack take it back and get one that works. If it's your tank that you have filled when it's empty take it to a propane company, they should be able to repair it if the tank is not in bad condition.
Also do not refill 1lbers, and if you are not going to take this advise here's someone that you better take;
NEVER REFILL INSIDE A BUILDING!
http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=55775&forum=6&post_id=405831

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:24 PM »
hey guys, i am trying to fill my 1 lb tanks off my 20 lbs... Been doing it for years but now the tanks are not filling at or or they fill up 1/10 of the tank....My large tank is 1/2 full soam I losing pressure or something? never had this happen before...help!!!
Maybe because they are NON-REFILLABLE TANKS

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:43 PM »

they are if you have the right equipment  ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Just when we are beginning to think we lost teamlund, who would have guessed, he left us hanging and started a new thread.    :cookoo:    But, he lives on to fight another day.    :roflmao:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222683.0;topicseen

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 AM »
HEY ! TEAMLUND !  Maybe you could be so kind and go over to the thread you started on filling your 1# LP tanks.  Be nice to tell them you didn't bolw you A$$ off the planet.  You for sure left them dangling, rather unkind.
Thank you in advance.    :cookoo:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222682.new#new

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:25 AM »
Just when we are beginning to think we lost teamlund, who would have guessed, he left us hanging and started a new thread.    :cookoo:    But, he lives on to fight another day.    :roflmao:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222683.0;topicseen

wow...I apologize for having to go to work... Next time i will call in sick so I can make sure I keep the threads on IS going. :o

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:27 AM »
Hey TL, is it just the one, 1lber or is it ALL of the ones you tried? If it's just the one, perhaps the valve in it got stuck somehow. I'd try another if it's just the one, and if not, I'd gas the 20lb back up to full, "warm" it up, chill the mini, and have another go at it.
all of the tanks wont fill... I tried 5 diff tanks. I even just tried again this morning after putting the 20lber in the basement overnight as well as putting the 1 lb tanks in the freezer.....I can hear gas "leaking" into the other tank but after a min is didnt take on any liquid....

Its either the tank itself of my refill falve went bad, of thats possible....

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:28 AM »
HEY ! TEAMLUND !  Maybe you could be so kind and go over to the thread you started on filling your 1# LP tanks.  Be nice to tell them you didn't bolw you A$$ off the planet.  You for sure left them dangling, rather unkind.
Thank you in advance.    :cookoo:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=222682.new#new

Once again idaho, I am sorry for having to go to work. Next time will will let my employer know that I wont be coming in because i have to keep posting on iceshanty :o

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:39 AM »

U better call Mr heater and many other companies that are selling valves to REFILL a 1 lb tank ::)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:44 AM »
why not post AT work like everyone else? (don,t let boss see, tho.)

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:01 AM »
I know I am gonna hear about this but--- I have had this happen quite a few times. Take a phillips screwdriver and place in valve opening and push. You will feel something move and hear a phfft sound. Will work as good as new. opg valve does this I was told. Wonder how many partially full tanks have been exchanged because of this.   Steve 

Offline jaybird62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2012, 07:36 AM »
what a coincidence, theres an ad for anthem blue cross at the bottom of this page ;D

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:09 AM »
you did remember to turn the 20lb tank upsidedown when filling them didn't you!  ;)
Never Give Up!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:12 AM »
I merged the 2 topics into 1 so it is easier to read.enjoy.

HIMO
                                                      Iceshanty & MFF Global Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline jaw jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2012, 03:56 PM »
I'm not sure if its every where but i live in NH and our tanks have a safety valve on them now that wont allow you to fill 1lb tanks anymore
work is for those who dont know how to fish

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:18 PM »
I'm not sure if its every where but i live in NH and our tanks have a safety valve on them now that wont allow you to fill 1lb tanks anymore

I have filled many 1 lb tanks on this one....Its still half full but cant get them out.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:04 PM »
Illegal to transport refilled 1 pound tanks over the road, but your odds of being pulled over by the DOT are probably slim to none.  They are not made to be refilled, but that is why shows like Rediculousness are still on the air.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Illegal to transport refilled 1 pound tanks over the road, but your odds of being pulled over by the DOT are probably slim to none.  They are not made to be refilled, but that is why shows like Rediculousness are still on the air.

No, it isn't. There have been way too many threads on this topic to count. Bottom line is if you use a little common sense, it is no more dangerous than hooking up your propane tank to your heater and lighting your heater. If you are uncomfortable with it, don't do it. Others of us have done it hundreds of times, and saved hundreds of dollars with little to no danger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.