Author Topic: to freeze fish in water, or without water...that is the question!  (Read 24318 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 another post got me thinking...

the only time i typically freeze fish is for the month of off season we have here in saskatchewan before and after ice fishing or if i'm saving them to give to family and friends.

if freezing i just typically clean em up real nice and toss in a good quality ziploc freezer bag.

my question is how many of you would fill the bag with water and how many would not?

i know my grandpa used to use old milk cartons filled with water and said that worke great.  very curious to hear people's opinions.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
Before I had a foodsaver, I always froze fish in water using a ziplock to avoid freezer burn.

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
You "HAVE" to freeze them in water if you don't want freezer burn on them. Any air contact inside the bag will cause burn. Now vacuum sealing the fish works good but most cheap models in the stores are hardly equivelant to commercial sealers so the shelf life of a home sealed bag o fish is not as long as commercial or water freezing them. But either way you store them the fish normally only has a good shelf life of a year and maybe a lil longer.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
with water

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
the best way i've found is to freeze them uncovered for a bit, and then dip them in water, let them freeze again, dip them in water again etc... several times until they get a thick coating of ice on them.
on a cold night, i do this on a cookie sheet on the back deck.
then put them in a good freezer bag.
when they thaw, the ice coating flakes right off.
it is labor intensive, but it works well.
i was never a fan of freeing them in a block of water, i know lots of people do, but to me it seems like they get waterlogged when they thaw.
i know guys who wrap them in saran wrap and then put them in freezer bags.
in any event, air is the enemy.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
If you fillet your fish take the fillets and put a few in a bag and place the bag on a cookie sheet and fill with enough water to cover the fillets. Put in freezer once frozen remove cookie sheet and you now have a stackable fillets. If you want to only take one or two out of the bag you can break it on the corner of the table and put the rest back in the freezer. Takes up little space and they last forever without getting freezer burn.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 yeah i've always gotten as much air out as possible and like i said the longest i'd ever have fish frozen would be a month, give or take a week or two.

i like the idea of freezing, dipping in water, freezing, etc...might have to try that but would have to do in the freezer as there's entirely too many hungry critters around here  ;D

probably going to have to get a vacuum sealer me thinks.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
In water.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
I feeze mine in freezer bags (no water) and then wrap them in butchers freezer paper.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline hawg hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
i always add water but my bud uses empty chocolate milk containers and adds water and tapes the top over(tall ones here there 1 litre),he says the cardboard helps him keep it in the freezer for 12 mths no prob

Hawg Hunter

Offline flag-up22

• Team IceShanty Regular
i like to freeze em in water..as they're un thawing they come out in whole fillets, rather then tryin t pry them apart dry and rip the fillets... :tipup:

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
I use no water, but do I vacuum bag them.  Have had fish for over 2 years with no freezer burn, and have served them alongside of fresh caught and couldn't tell the difference.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Freezer bags with water.. That way I can eat them in the summer when 99% of my fishing is catch and release bass fishing... ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tried all methods previously described except the dip and freeze repeatedly. I guess if you are willing to spend alot of time on your fish it might be the best as it is a recognized industry standard.
My thumb goes up to vacuum sealing. In my opinion the water frozen fish definatley absorbs alot of moisture and loses firmness.

Bon Apetite

Offline filletandrelease

• Team IceShanty Regular
WITH WATER!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Frost freeze method... ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Zip Locks with water, squeeze out all the air. They stay good for 9mo -1 yr easy and easy to do.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Zip Locks with water, squeeze out all the air. They stay good for 9mo -1 yr easy and easy to do.
yep

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
i'm new(1 year) to freeze with water in ziplock bag and i love it.  never freezer burn. take out in the AM before work. jest a lil ice left once you get home!
wood is good

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
the best way i've found is to freeze them uncovered for a bit, and then dip them in water, let them freeze again, dip them in water again etc... several times until they get a thick coating of ice on them.

Wow sounds like alot of work id have to take an extra day off from work. Water in the bag works fine for me
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
dipping them does take more time. but i don't freeze fish often. seems like when they go in my freezer, it's out of sight, out of mind for me. i have thawed them out after a couple of years, and they were very good.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.