Author Topic: Nils problem  (Read 768 times)

Offline brd555

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils problem
« on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I just got a brand new 8" hand auger. I've drill about 75 holes no more then 5" of ice. I have been very careful with it. It seems lately to be taking to much of a bite. I drill through about 1" and then it grabs real bad if i just power through it it seams to be ok again when i get it about one full turn and i can finish the hole like normal. It does this almost all the time now. I have never pushed on it or let others use it. Have any of you heard of this. I have backed it out a couple times when this happened and I could tell that one blade was taking a larger bite than the other. Also the ice is new and very consistent not layered it is very hard ice.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
Re: Nils problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Try spraying the cutting head with cooking oil.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:55 PM »
What is that gonna do?? Try checking the blades for a nick or a bend. They are good augers but the blades are very sensitive.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:08 AM »
I wish I could help,  but I am on my second season with my lazer and it turns through about 5 turns per inch as far as I can tell.  I have not changed the blades,  let my buddies drill holes, and by no means baby it  and it has at least 1500 holes under it's belt,  If I were you I would contact nills and see what they can do for you. Also the only problem I've had was with the cover band breaking in the first week i owned it.  They sent out by courier 2 new bands, I had them in like a day.  It was stupid how fast they got to my house.  thank you strikemaster.  I hope there customer service takes care of you the same way as strikemaster did for me.....
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:23 AM »
It almost sounds like you got a bent blade. If it is catching as bad as your saying. Although if this auger is new one thing guys have a tendency to do is still put down pressure on them without realizing it. One other thing is useing a 8" auger at times bites in more and the residance will be more than say a 6". Another thing is the ice itself. If you have a softer top ice the auger will dig in hard till it hits the harder black ice. If I were you I would pay close attention to how you are drilling Keep saying to yourself NO Down pressure. See if this helps if not I hate to say it but check into getting a replacement blade. If by chance the auger was shipped to you or during shipping from manufacturer it could have been dropped or got hammered some way. Try contacting Nils and see what they might do to help you with it.

Offline ellaxdad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:28 AM »
mine does the same thing if i'm not drilling straight

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Try emailing the Nils USA website and see if they would have any answers or possible reasons why. Fin

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2010, 10:31 AM »
First check to make shure the auger shaft itself is straight. If is is straight you probably need a new head. I used to have an 8" Nils and was nothing but problems from day one. The flighting looked warped to me from when they welded it or got bent when it was shipped to the store. Got rid of it and bought a Finbore, problem solved.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.