Author Topic: New clam nanook ice shelter  (Read 12791 times)

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
New clam nanook ice shelter
« on: Oct 10, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I am going to purchase one of the new Clam Nanook ice shelters and need some feedback about paying the extra $100.00 and getting the new nanook thermal with deluxe seats or the plain nanook without the new thermal roof, thanks for any feedback

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: New clam nanook ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2009, 08:52 PM »
The thermal roof will save you the dripping water on your head when it is cold and you run your heater on high. I dont kow how you feel about dripping condensation, so I couldnt tell you if it is worth a hundred bucks to you. I am seriosly thinking of selling my Voyager and getting a thermal cap of the same model. I get sick of the drip.

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2009, 03:39 PM »
the nanook has similar dimensions to the guide right?  i love the price point for an insulated flip-over, but i was hoping it would be closer to the size of the yukon or voyager.

eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Just get a thermal Yukon or Voyager then.

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2009, 03:49 PM »
i dont think i have ever seen a thermal voyager before.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2009, 03:56 PM »
The Yukon is marketed as the Yukon TC, the Voyager is called the Voyager TCX. The top is quilted but the sides are not.

Offline Northern Manitoban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I just decided this week that I'm going with the Nanook 2 seater thermol i'm looking forward to a season using this unit, I have only seen pictures anyone sit in one that is setup is there good room for 2 guys and room in front once your sitting to place heater and flasher? can't wait!
I only fish on days that end with a Y

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:29 PM »
No one has any in stock yet down this way, can only go by the pictures but it shows 20 sq. feet of fishable area in front of the seat.I am also leaning toward the thermal nanooks but would like seat in one first to if see there is plenty of room for my son and I,I fish alone most of the time and the nanook themal is about 90 lbs.the extra room would be nice.called Bass pro and they didn't have any ideal when they would be coming in. said they could order one.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:17 PM »
yes same here on back order, i did the measurements on the floor at home and placed seats where they would go and compared it to my friends 2 seat flip clam and it looks very roomy for a 2 seater i think this unit will be great for 2 guys i like the idea of a door in the back as well, think i will go with this unit :)

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Its the same size as the guide.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:46 PM »
thanks :) what price are you looking at for the thermol here in Canada $500 the other model is $399, i think it would be worth the 100 extra :)

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Same price as the Otter, $399.00 for the nanook thermal,$299.00 without the thermal.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:57 PM »
i see Reed sporting goods has it at $399 don't see cabelas carrying this unit dont see it on there website

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:00 PM »
scheels has it 399 in montana

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Cabals in grand forks nd does carry the whole clam line i do belive !
Hard Ice

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Are the seats the same in the regular Nanook and Nanook Thermal?  I've seen people and places say that the Nanook Thermal has the deluxe padded swivel seats, but I don't know what to believe.

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:12 AM »
According to the web site,The thermal comes with deluxe padded swivel seats

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:27 AM »
According to the web site,The thermal comes with deluxe padded swivel seats

All I see on the Clam website is that it says that it comes with padded swivel seats.  It says the same thing for the regular Nanook and does not mention the deluxe seats. 

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Update:  I just received an e-mail from Clam stating that the Nanook and Nanook Thermal have the same seats (swivel seat with backrest).   No mention of the deluxe.

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Bass Pro, In features listed for the thermal nanook, states it has the deluxe seats. don't know who to believe, will have to see one in person, petty good when you want to buy something you can.t even get the right answer.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:11 PM »
as far as i know the seats are the same for both units a padded seat is a padded seat unless the Thermol ones recline :)

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Did anyone find out yet which seats the Nanook Thermal has?  I have yet to see one.  Are the seats the same as the regular Nanook?  I would like to see this cleared up as many websites are reporting that the Nanook Thermal has the deluxe seats. 

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 27, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I know the seats in the Nanook are not the same as the gray swivel seats. Atleast the one that I sat in had different seats. They were smaller in size. I dont know if there is a difference in seats between the thermal and non thermal.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2009, 04:53 AM »
The seats in the nanook are the padded swivel seats with a back rest not deluxe ! Hope that helps you .
Hard Ice

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:55 AM »
The seats in the nanook are the padded swivel seats with a back rest not deluxe ! Hope that helps you .

Thank you Hard Ice.  That was the answer I was looking for!  I didn't see anywhere where Clam reported that the Nanook thermal seats were Deluxe, but there are many websites out there that do report the thermal as having the deluxe seats.  It's good to have that cleared up.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Skipper,

I emailed Clam at the end of last season, they said that you can buy the insulated canvas for the voyager.

The Clam Thermal X will fit, (according to them) or you can buy the Voyager canvas with the insulated cap.

If you're going to spend the money, you might as well get the canvas with the insulation throughout.

This would save some money compared to buying a completely new Voyager.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Many web sites are passing out 2nd hand info but as far as i know ice shanty and me all info that i post hear is 1st hand rite from the horses mouth so to speak !... The only web site that i am posting on is here !
Hard Ice

Offline Redclam

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Anything outdoors is on the agenda
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Was at bass pro here in Toronto last week and saw the nanook thermal. It has the same dimensions and specs as the special ordered clams that bass pro got clam to make last year. Only diff is the bass pro thermal model last year had a bench instead of 2 seats. Picked up one myself last year. And I like the bench better then seats. Not sure if bass pro plans on ordering anymore this year from clam but here is a pic of the thermal one i got last year.

Redclam 8)

Fishing? When? Where? I'm there.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Redclam nice setup, are you almost able to stand up in that clam? and is it roomy enough for 2 guys, how much room once sitting down do you have in front, like is there lots of room for heater flasher and still have 2 holes to fish

Offline Redclam

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Anything outdoors is on the agenda
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Its the same size as the nanook. With the bench i have fit 3 in tightly while perch fishing and 2 if laker or whitefish fishing. U do have to bend over a bit the ceiling is around 5ft but that makes it easier to heat aswell as i have found i rarely need to stand during a day of fishing. The bench is alot more comfortable then seats too. Great for stretching out a bit when solo fishing. I have the fishtv and have drilled 4x10inch holes while perching, one for the camera and 3 for holes to fish from aswell as a vex and a single burner coleman stove for heat and cooking a warm meal. So i think there is ample room. But then again its up to how big or small u r. I'm only 5'7" and weigh only 160lbs. The thermal makes a big diff if ur doing overnights for crappie and wallies. And when pike fishing with tipups i use it as a wind blocker, but many times i just use the bench to sit on without setting up the clam so i don't have to stumble in and out of the clam if a tipup is set off.

Redclam 8)

Fishing? When? Where? I'm there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.