Author Topic: Ice Fishing Chair  (Read 15863 times)

Offline staticgrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Chair
« on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:04 PM »
I was looking at ice fishing chairs. Two different brands,are they worth the $$$ or just over priced bucket? I have searched threads but no cut & dry answer.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: Ice Fishing Chair
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:10 PM »
You might have to be the guinea pig on this one. I started fishing out of a scout last year so I have a chair now even if it's opened up. I don't know anyone who has one of those chairs. If I had a shack without seats I might think about it cuz I like to have a backrest. Bucket all day bad for back. :) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline staticgrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:21 PM »
I looking more at the one made by clam,but have looked at the one you described also. Both on the computer not in person

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:33 PM »
Have you sat in the clam chair? I'm a trap owner and thought those clam chairs looked great.... Untill I sat in one. They are super uncomfortable and not at all worth the $$$

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2009, 04:37 PM »
My mom gave me the clam chair for x-mas a couple years back and I use it on nice days, it holds 4 or 5 rods, a bunch of small tackle boxes, and a couple tip ups ( cross style). I also use it as a seat in my shappell 3000. I have no complaints.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2009, 05:00 PM »
You need something w/ a back. I use a collapsable chair, real light.

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2009, 08:15 PM »
I got a chair from gander a few years a go now its the same design as the fold up camping chairs but this one had a pole holder in the middle cross bars real handy. it also had pouches off the arm rest for a few coolies and some tackle when it folded up the pouches wraped around the front to keep it closed and the back a straps on it like a back pack but it didn't carry any rods. it is vary comfortable to sit in for hours I still use it in my teepee but that is seldom now that I have the fish trap If I find some pics I will post them.
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline zmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2009, 07:00 AM »
I used an old cooler that I swivel pedestal mounted a plastic folding boat seat to.  It gives me a light weight very comfey seat with a backrest and all my tackle, thermos, gloves, hats, lighter, etc goes in the cooler for storage.  There is a short swivel attachment under the seat so the seat swivels. 

I used bolts and the largest fender washers I could find to mount.  That also is a plastic cutting board (kitchen variety) that I used to reinforce it.  I drilled holes in it and attached it to the bottom of the inside of the cooler top.  This will be its third season so it has been durable. 

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2009, 07:46 AM »
nice set-up z!!

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2009, 09:46 AM »
I use the same chair on the ice as I do in my hunting blind.  I use the Double Bull tripod chair.  Light, comfortable, and folds up small.  It even has a carry strap that works well.  https://shop.primos.com/pc-1138-140-qs3-magnum-ground-swat-camo.aspx  Double Bull has nice stuff and the best warranty you could ask for. 

Offline staticgrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Thank You for the ideas and input,much better than sending a lot of $$$. It would be handy  to have the poles-gear all in one less trips back to the rig. I will have to think on this one.

Offline skunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I'm cheap..I use my folding beach chair that that you can put on your back like a backpack..It holds a couple of traps and a jig pole, and leaves you hands free to carry bait and an auger. Very portable if you want to cover allot of ice, and very comfortable if you feel like taking a nap!
My water tastes like [email protected] kill the taste by adding malted barley, hops, and yeast..then its perfect!

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2009, 12:40 AM »
I picked up one of those clam chairs at the end of the season and have not had a chance to use it yet.. the back of the chair is high but very straight.       Lots of storage...
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2009, 12:59 AM »
6 gallon bucket and a swivel stool cover is just fine and real cheap.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2009, 05:06 PM »
I was looking at ice fishing chairs. Two different brands,are they worth the $$$ or just over priced bucket? I have searched threads but no cut & dry answer.
Cabelas has a graet chair cheap called the Delux super seat $49.95 It swivels and has a storage under the seat
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2009, 05:08 PM »
6 gallon bucket and a swivel stool cover is just fine and real cheap.

How are you doing,havent talked to you in a while,hows the weather doing?
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:10 PM »
get a bass boat seat, those are comfy, and you can attach them to whatever you feel like.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2009, 11:53 AM »
For the price on these chairs you should look at the glide-lite sled.

the glide-lite looks great, thinking about getting one
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2009, 12:06 PM »
Seriously you guys should get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-821-Tripod-Stool/dp/B000RMM15I
My dad bought one and I liked it so much I had to buy my own. It surprisingly comfortable, but dont expect to lounge around in it. Comes with its only little bag, its super compact too. It might make a 3 inch diameter circle.
If you weigh 250 pounds it might not be the best option. But for moving hole to hole I think it is the best way to go.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Whatever happend to a good ol-fashioned 5 gallon pail?!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2009, 05:39 PM »
7 gallon pail for me ;D

More comfrotable.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I like the idea of the  boat seat on a ice chest ... if i didnt have my pro  that would be the cattsass ... i take my pro no matter what the weather is ... my storage is all inside ... great wind break and if its cold or bright just set that baby up ... buddy has a sled he just picked up that you prop up on  end has a built in seat and acts as a wind break...my days of sitting on a 5 gallon bucket are over as i blew 2 disks in my back  a couple years back.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:55 AM »
love your set up RG
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2009, 02:49 PM »
That's the little sled for short trips or places where I don't like to drag out the flip over.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2009, 02:54 PM »
That's the little sled for short trips or places where I don't like to drag out the flip over.

RG
How long have you had that sled RG?
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2009, 03:52 PM »
How long have you had that sled RG?
I'd have to look to be sure. I date the things I make, but I'd say 25 years or so.

RG

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #26 on: Nov 16, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Well I love it, I really like the old school style sleds and such. I might build one similar before ice, thanks for the idea ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Nov 16, 2009, 05:05 PM »
I wish I could post some plans for the sled, but there aren't any. I just built it. I do have some closer pictures if you'd like them. I could take some measurements too. Nothing I'd like better than to see another like it on the ice ;D

RG

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I use an oversized foldable camp chair. It's called the "Big Boy". I'm far from a big dude so it feels like a recliner to me. I use that when I'm chillin'. When i'm really working the jig I use a tripod fold up that came with my Icecube. It sits high so I don't have to get up as far to chase flags and I can almost sit over the hole to work my stick.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2009, 06:51 AM »
I wish I could post some plans for the sled, but there aren't any. I just built it. I do have some closer pictures if you'd like them. I could take some measurements too. Nothing I'd like better than to see another like it on the ice ;D

RG
Yeh the more pics the better RG, a picture's worth a thousand words right.
Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.