Author Topic: There went my monthly buget and then some.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
There went my monthly buget and then some.
« on: Aug 14, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Headed up on the Grand Mesa in Colorado today pulling my small trailer and boat. Lucked out there was a pull off spot when the truck quit. GOt pulled over and figured out the throttle cable slipped through the connector. I was able to get it back on and had only fishing pliers with me. I took a split shot and pinched it on as tight as my arthritic hands could do. Drove 10 more feet and it came off again. So we called the daughter off her job to come get us and a tow truck company to get the truck and boat. They thought ahead and brought another truck for the trailer or it would have drug behind my truck since it was up in the air. THis shop actully has a hamburger joint attached to it. What a concept.  We bought us a hamburger and fries.  So I called around and the closest place to get a new throttle cable is Detroit. WOW are you kiding me.  SO the truck is at their shop and they are going to fix the cable as well. I wanted to catch that big Brown I had once. But we sat along side the highway for about an hour. Yea my budget is shot.
<===Lefty===

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: There went my monthly buget and then some.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2019, 12:42 PM »
I can feel your pain, Lefty! I just returned last week from visiting my family and doing some fishing in Michigan. The second day I was there, my truck broke down! I am now $2,850 poorer! The only good point was that I broke down one mile from my family's house rather than on I-80 near Chicago or Gary, Indiana. At least I could visit my family and stay there rather than having been holed up in a motel for 4 days!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2019, 01:42 PM »
i feel your pain.  I took the family to Colorado this summer and pulled our camper out there.  My 01 half ton blew the motor on the way home in Nebraska.  I had to turn around around buy another truck to make it the rest of the way home.  Yep, there went my budet for the year.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Looks like I am blessed. Shop called and said only $149 incluing the parts and labor for the cable fix, I am having them change the oil while it is there and of course the towing charge I am not sure what it will be but the shop was the closest one to where I broke down. I figure around $200-$300 tops for that. ON a side note I had 2 good things happen today. My part for my Washer came in and I fixed the Washer for $68 instead of buying a new one. I also ask the tree trimmers working on the power lines yesterday that if they had any fire wood to get rid of to bring it by. JUst got a face cord dropped off today and he said he will bring me more if I wanted it. Of course I said bring all you get as long as it isn't too large of pieces.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2019, 04:36 PM »
BUDGET. ANd I thought I knew how to spell.
<===Lefty===

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2019, 05:30 PM »
i feel your pain.  I took the family to Colorado this summer and pulled our camper out there.  My 01 half ton blew the motor on the way home in Nebraska.  I had to turn around around buy another truck to make it the rest of the way home.  Yep, there went my budet for the year.
Couple years ago couple of us buddies were heading for Colorado to elk hunt. Buddy had a Dodge Ram 4 door and we were pulling a 12' trailer. Long story short we ended up in Ogolalla, NE on Friday of Labor Day weekend. Bearing in rear axle of truck was going bad. 2 car dealers in town. Earliest they could work on truck was Tuesday or Wednesday of following week. Right there our elk trip was done for. Buddy says he still making payments on the truck and doesn't have money to fix it or trade it in. I walk across the road and bought a 04 suburban and we hook up the trailer about 5pm Friday night and keep on going to Colorado. Buddy he heads for home with the dodge going 40 mph, takes him 2 days. None of us shoot a elk. What a trip. Lol

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Lefty2053 vehicle break downs are never fun especially away from home. Happy for you the repair bill was low. Do you having towing coverage under you vehicle insurance should cover cost of towing the truck.
 Steve

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:30 AM »
No I don't have towing included. It is one of those you get what you pay for things. It's all good I will be back up fishing next week at least. They called and said they will have the part and fix it on Friday.
<===Lefty===

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2019, 06:54 AM »
I always carry towing and comprehensive on my vehicles as they are cheep compared to having to pay to be towed or replace a wind shield.

The sad part of insurance in Michigan is I am paying extra on my van because I got hit by a woman just behind the rear tire spinning me across three lanes of the road. 110% not my fault. The cop wrote he for every thing he could. We had to rent a car  so the wife could get to work as the insurance company took the Escape thinking they were going to total it. There was no real damage that a couple of screws would not fix. Since Michigan has no fault insurance having to rent the car for a couple of days is still held against me as a claim was on my record four years later.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Ughh im always plagued with vehicle breakdowns because i drive old cheap piles.last breakdown was after i filled my 1989 dodge power wagon fuel tank completely full.well the tank straps must not of liked that because the gas tank fell out from underneath the truck and dragged on the road.so i get out and grabbed ratchet straps from behind the seat,jacked up the tank and strapped the tank back up.still like that and that was years ago. Sometimes i save $$ driving old crap as i can fix them and parts are cheap.but it gets to be a nickel and dime thing too..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:42 AM »
I have had my 2000 Jetta TDI since 2005 and it now has 398k miles on it. The most dependable car I have ever owned. I do regular Timing belt changes at around $1200 every 5 years but it is still going strong. TIme for another timing belt at 435K. I will replace it since the car drive fantastic due to me replacing all the front end parts. THis truck that broke down I have had 3 years and doesn't owe me anything since I only paid $2300 for it.
<===Lefty===

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Lefty  may the cost of towing your truck and boat not end up being higher then cost to repair your truck.
  Steve

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Lefty  may the cost of towing your truck and boat not end up being higher then cost to repair your truck.
  Steve
After thinking about the whole thing I called my Insurence company and added Uninsured motorest with a $250 deductable and Roadside assistence to my 3 vehicles and it only added $6.50 extra a month. That is less that just roadside assitence from AAA. I guess you never know what things cost until to ask about them.
<===Lefty===

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Lefty never hurts to review your insurance coverage every few years and ask questions. You may also want to add Under-insured motorist/driver to your policy if you do not already have this coverage it protects you if your in an accident with a driver who only has minimum insurance coverage required by your state's laws to have a vehicle on the road.
  Steve

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Hour and a half into a trip to Vermont my trailer tire blew on the thru way, my jack and took set was under all of my ice fishing gear. Looked like I was having a yard sale in the snowbank when a state trooper pulled up. This is when I learned it's good idea to take a tire off every now and then thread had been painted over. Had to rachet strap the rim to the frame so I could get it off. Did new tires and bearings after that mishap. Made it to Vermont and caught fish. Good times
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.