Author Topic: 2006-07 Winter Forecast HERE IT IS  (Read 9926 times)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
2006-07 Winter Forecast HERE IT IS
« on: Oct 18, 2006, 04:36 PM »
AccuWeather.com 2006-07 Winter ForecastUpdated: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:01 PM 

El Niņo To Have an Effect, But How Much?

AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range Forecaster Joe *****i believes that the current El Niņo pattern will be one of the factors that determines the nature of the coming winter, but that the government's weather service is overplaying its effects. Unlike the National Weather Service forecast, *****i does not see this winter being warmer than normal across the vast majority of the country. Overall, the AccuWeather.com Winter 2006-2007 Forecast calls for a cooler-than-normal winter along the East Coast and eastern Gulf Coast, and a warmer-than-normal winter from the western Great Lakes to the Pacific Northwest.

An El Niņo - a cyclical occurrence of warmer-than-normal Pacific waters - can have repercussions on worldwide weather patterns, particularly a strong El Niņo, which features water temperatures that are significantly warmer over a broad expanse of tropical ocean. However, *****i's research points to an El Niņo that will remain at its current weak to moderate level, and may even weaken as the winter progresses. Because of this, a "typical" El Niņo winter - such as the one predicted by the National Weather Service last week - that features warmer-than-normal temperatures across much of the U.S. is not as likely to occur.

"We predict that the current El Niņo will not be only determinant of this year's winter weather," said *****i. "This year's winter will hinge on the timing and interaction of complex meteorological factors that would be overridden by a stronger El Niņo that others seem to be expecting."

One of these factors that *****i and his team expect to shape the upcoming season is the formation of a high pressure area over Greenland or northeastern Canada. This would force Arctic air down into the Northeast. If this occurs as expected, the Northeast could experience severe, prolonged cold - ten days or more of temperatures averaging five to ten degrees below normal - during the middle to late winter, most likely during the month of January.

"Signs are pointing to the possibility of a rough conclusion to winter for the Northeast," said AccuWeather.com Director of Forecast Operations Ken Reeves. "Examining past years where we see similar patterns to what we expect this winter bears this out. For example, the winter of 1992-1993 was moderate until early February, when it then became colder and snowier, and culminated with a harsh blizzard on March 13. Another of the winters we see a parallel to is 1957-1958, which again began more moderately, and concluded with significantly colder temperatures and major February and March snow storms."

*****i sums up his expectations for the upcoming December-to-February period this way: "The eastern U.S. will experience a colder-than-normal winter overall. The area from the eastern and central Great Lakes to the south-central and southwestern U.S. will experience near-normal winter temperatures. The region that stretches from the western Great Lakes to the Pacific Northwest will likely see above-normal temperatures."

*****i forecasts a wetter-than-average swath from southern and central California to the southern Plains and Southeast and up the East Coast, because an expected active subtropical jet stream will send storms on a track across the southern U.S. and likely ensure wet weather in the southern tier of the nation. How this moisture times itself with the arrival of colder air will determine how much snow the Northeast can expect, but winter is likely to be snowier than normal in the region - a mainstay of all winters since 2002. Very warm water relative to normal off all coasts provides ample moisture for any storm and, timed with cold air, would lend itself to heavy snowfall in the higher elevations of the Southwest and Southeast, and also the chance for some major coastal storms on the East Coast.

The pattern AccuWeather.com forecasts for the winter could lead to a significant problem next summer: the increased threat of wildfires. "The wetter pattern across the southern half of California and into the Southwest may spell yet another bad season for wildfires next year," said Reeves, "as the vegetation that flourishes this rainy season dies next year under the intense summer sun."

http://headlines.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&article=9

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2006-07 Winter Forecast HERE IT IS
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2006, 12:48 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? :cookoo: wut???? i dont understand is it goin to be good or bad???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2006, 02:14 PM »
yeah,  exactly my reaction.  All I need is it cold enough for ice or not this winter??  Looks like the opinion is split  with our weatherman  ??? :blink:

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2006, 03:48 PM »

According to my maple tree and the oak next door it's going to be a good, cold season. The maple leaves were turning and dropping about three weeks early. The oak was dropping nuts early as well.
I figure they are as good if not better then most of the weathermen !  ;D

Those who are brave are free ..

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:25 AM »
According to my maple tree and the oak next door it's going to be a good, cold season. The maple leaves were turning and dropping about three weeks early. The oak was dropping nuts early as well.
I figure they are as good if not better then most of the weathermen !  ;D
SO true, good 'ol mother nature, sure has her ways of telling the animals what is in store. With lots on nuts on the trees from all the hunters and just plain hearing them fall more this year than last, is a good insight to the season to come. There are already record lows and snow falls recorded. Looks like we're in for a cold one.  8) ;D

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2006, 08:55 AM »

Now we have to convince JigAwhopper to stay in Az ! Last season he came back and the temps shot up 20 degrees.  :P

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:09 AM »

AccuWeather.com 2006-07 Winter ForecastUpdated: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:01 PM 

a high pressure area over Greenland or northeastern Canada. This would force Arctic air down into the Northeast. If this occurs as expected, the Northeast could experience severe, prolonged cold - ten days or more of temperatures averaging five to ten degrees below normal - during the middle to late winter, most likely during the month of January.

"The eastern U.S. will experience a colder-than-normal winter overall. The area from the eastern and central Great Lakes to the south-central and southwestern U.S. will experience near-normal winter temperatures. The region that stretches from the western Great Lakes to the Pacific Northwest will likely see above-normal temperatures."

with the arrival of colder air will determine how much snow the Northeast can expect, but winter is likely to be snowier than normal in the region - a mainstay of all winters since 2002.  also the chance for some major coastal storms on the East Coast.

Offline big j 2520

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Sounds like good news for us. I remember the last time El Nino came though. Lots of ice and lots of cold and snow.
If it smells worse than the bait send it back !!!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Sounds like good news for us. I remember the last time El Nino came though. Lots of ice and lots of cold and snow.
hmmm...  I'll take the cold,  you keep the snow.  I don't have a 4wd pickup and that could get a bit tough to get around!

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:43 PM »
I do part time at a "Home Center". A lot of mice traps have been sold in the past several weeks as well as seeing a few mice in the garden section outside looking for food.
 Both my gum trees, I think they are gum trees, lost all their leaves 2 weeks ago.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Also, if you look at the 15 day forcasts, they show a gradual cool down with no  major spikes in temps. This is giving the water time to cool without shocking it. I might not need to buy a NY state licence this season. ;D :thumbsup:

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2006, 02:28 PM »
Most of the mets are agreeing on a colder then normal and snowier then normal winter.  All except the NWS.  They will come around.   

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:33 AM »
We are due for a good cold winter. I hope its this year.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:35 AM »
anyone got any ideas wut its supposed to be like these next two week???

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I just checked out the extended winter forecast on accuweather.com. Overall looks like we can expect the temps to be normal with Jan. being much colder than last year. I hope they're right, can't happen soon enough for me!
:icefish:

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2007, 12:53 PM »
The problem is we don't have ANY Artic air masses coming even close to us!!! For Christ sakes it was 45+ degrees in Burlington Vt. this w/e! That's insane!
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.