The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clark Canyon ling  (Read 2860 times)

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clark Canyon ling
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:19 PM »
I've never had the chance to fish ling at Clark Canyon.  Does anyone have any advice/tips on how to fish them here?  Is it primarily a night-bite or is it decent during the day too?  How are the numbers, are they down quite a bit following the drought?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Re: Clark Canyon ling
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Haven't fished ling at CC.  However, all the ling I have caught anywhere have been on live minnows right on the bottom.  Ling will pick the minnow up and take it 10-15 feet, stop and swallow it.  You must not strike too soon when you see your line moving or you will take the minnow right out of their mouth. 

Good eating.  The poor man's lobster.  Try them in beer batter with hush puppies.  Yum Yum.

Tight Lines.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:20 AM »
I agree, let em swallow it. They will hold the bait in their mouth sometimes, they love to come up to the hole and spit your bait at you. :tipup:

I didn't think he spit it out.  I thought it was more of a smile and a kiss my a$$!   ;D

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Where exactly is the a$$ on a ling? ???

I thought you were a biologist!! Geez... I have to tell you everything...  :D Start at the tail end and push your thumb along the bottom of the fish.  When your thumb falls in, you are at the a$$. 

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what you do with this information. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Hey walltrout....smell my thumb. ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao: :woot: geez, I just spit pop all over my keyboard
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Hey walltrout....smell my thumb. ;D

Ok.... When you are done sucking it, I will smell it.  Hurry up already, I am waiting.....  What are you doing now? .....  Oh I see..... going back for seconds. 

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:18 PM »
I believe that will void the warranty! >:(

same comment applies for your smelly thumb there buddy
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline IceDaisy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:07 AM »
What the biggest ling caught in the lake?

Offline rabbet79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:29 AM »
When I was going to college in Dillon we would catch huge ling off the bank when ice started to break off. We did this at night. We were college students so we would take the ling to the Buffalo bar and get a 6 pack of beer for every ling. Then pin head should us how to clean them, Buffalo bar never got another ling. Try ling chodder like clam but no sand.
We would catch them through the ice in the middle during the day on worms and marsh mellows. This was in the middle 80's haven't been back. Have a buddy in Dillon he catches a lot of them.

Offline IceDaisy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Thanks we are heading to the ice tomorrow. I will try the marshmallows.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:14 PM »
How do you clean a ling? Is it like cleaning a cat fish?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.