The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To Fish or not to Fish  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Wollysauce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work to live. Live to fish.
To Fish or not to Fish
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:45 PM »
So planning a second trip to FP and the forcast is -6 one night and -14 the next. Have stayed on the ice before at -24, didn't leave the hut mush.  Have all the gear to stay warm but chizzling holes and sitting in a humid hut gets rough. Especially having to take your gloves off to bait hooks.  Have had a blast everytime and have caught a lot of fish there but there comes a time when it is too COLD. What temp is to cold for you?

Mizayikaa

Re: To Fish or not to Fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:08 PM »
When the rats and the cats are snuggling.

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:40 PM »
I am going through the same debate with myself.  Planning a trip to Peck as well. I think I am going to make some hole covers for my tip ups and go for it. I have a week off work and don't have anything better to do.

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:14 AM »
I made hole covers out of 1/2in thick black flooring rubber from Home Depot. Just cut into a square that overlaps the hole by 4-5in and one single thin cut to the center of the mat to slide tip up in. They work pretty well

Offline KDW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Have done much the same for hole covers, made them out of the rubber mats that go in the bottom of stock
trailers. They work quite well however if you leave them for 2 full days in below 0 weather they still freeze
hard and make quite a mess of chiseling out tip ups, not exactly one of my finest decisions on the ice. No
temps above 0 with a breeze, that's my cut off. Didn't use to be, I must be aging.

Ken

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Was out last week with wind chills at -45. It was not super fun messing with the tip ups but still worth getting out and fishing. So I say, dress warm, buy some extra hand warmers, and stay hydrated (significantly helps to regulate body temperature). If you eat enough food and drink enough water, and do not expose too much skin to the wind, it is always a good time regardless of how cold. If anyone is ever debating a trip out to FP I say go for it :)
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:12 AM »
The margin for error gets skinnier in sub-zero temps and windy conditions whether on the ice or traveling to and from the lake in the dark. So for me most of the decision is based upon whether I can comfortably save my own bacon should I have a vehicle breakdown, get stuck or get snowed in.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:40 AM »
The margin for error gets skinnier in sub-zero temps and windy conditions whether on the ice or traveling to and from the lake in the dark. So for me most of the decision is based upon whether I can comfortably save my own bacon should I have a vehicle breakdown, get stuck or get snowed in.

I agree 100% with all of this and will add I like going with someone else who I know can hold their own and offer me assistance if needed.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Wollysauce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work to live. Live to fish.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 01:02 AM »
Lots of good thoughts. Be prepared and things usually work out. We bagged Fort Peck this weekend. Heading to Tounge instead. A little more comfortable with the snow conning. Go for some crappie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.