The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big perch in small ponds  (Read 2647 times)

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big perch in small ponds
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Just curious, anyone in MT (or more specifically Western MT) ever run into big perch in smaller ponds?  I have some spots I'm going to try that have northerns and perch in smaller bodies of water and I"m going to start exploring.  Wondering if anyone has been successful in finding nice, big perch in smaller bodies of water in Montana. 

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big perch in small ponds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Just curious, anyone in MT (or more specifically Western MT) ever run into big perch in smaller ponds?  I have some spots I'm going to try that have northerns and perch in smaller bodies of water and I"m going to start exploring.  Wondering if anyone has been successful in finding nice, big perch in smaller bodies of water in Montana. I'm hoping i can find some spots without the typical stunted perch we too often find.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:26 PM »
ice caught bigger perch in smaller water bodies but have noticed over time that the bigger ones either get caught or die out and are replaced by their over abundant offspring and trully big ones are never really present again...maybe water body size is the limiting factor?

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:34 PM »
ice caught bigger perch in smaller water bodies but have noticed over time that the bigger ones either get caught or die out and are replaced by their over abundant offspring and trully big ones are never really present again...maybe water body size is the limiting factor?

Smaller water body could mean smaller food source, and also possibly fewer predators to affect the spawn, creating an environment where over population and stunted growth patterns are prevalent. I've also noticed this phenomenon in certain small bodies of water. Very interesting...
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:40 PM »
How small we talking
I know that here in Helena something like spring meadow has some big perch, not massive but big
But being so small, population is weird I don't see small ones and wonder how many are there
While the regulating res has good numbers but not as many big perch, maybe stunted
Perch I wonder, probable matters on conditions of the lake
I know walleye can do great in small areas if conditions are right 
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:06 PM »
i have footballs like 16inches was the biggest but i went through alot of dinks too but they seem to be in the deepest part of the lake on a pinhead jig
if it bites I chase it

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Used to fish a pond in certral mt.  About a mile long and narrow except for the dam area.  Had perch, crappie, couple trout, and a few walleye.  Perch were huge, some to over 14in and averaging around 12.  They would come up puking small crappie.  Multiple predators and fertile pond with multiple food sources was perch wonderland.  12 in perch till you got bored, amazing.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Trout Hounder - 16 inches would be a new state record. You getting those in MT somewhere?

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:55 PM »
ya i know ive beat  the state record in pounds and length just never have done the whole process to get them registered
if it bites I chase it

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Dang that is awesome man. Wish I had that problem!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:24 PM »
ya i know ive beat  the state record in pounds and length just never have done the whole process to get them registered

LOL bro

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:33 PM »
and also i dont want the pond filled with people
if it bites I chase it

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Trout Hounder - 16 inches would be a new state record. You getting those in MT somewhere?
Nope, i wish
Dont ask

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:03 PM »
perchpounder they are in montana
if it bites I chase it

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:15 PM »

Most likely missoulafish the big ones get caught out, perch reproduce like rabbits and can over populate a small pond in a few years, even if there are pike or other predator fish in them. Selective harvest would do Montana wonders. The smaller perch ponds out here in eastern Montana could have very nice perch in them but they just over populate so fast. Fished a position d last year and 3 of us easily caught 300 perch total in one day but they only ranged 6-8 inches
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:55 PM »
MT.redneck--From what I have read about that particular lake is that it use to be a heck of a trout lake until all those perch took over.  Was fun fishing but it needs a predator to make it better.
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:16 PM »
It would help for sure. Just need a predator that wouldn't get stunted either I would think.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2016, 11:09 AM »
The ponds I am eyeing to start exploring should have northerns in them, which I am hoping may prevent the stunting that happens too frequently. 

Specifically looking to see if anyone has luck with big perch in ponds that have both perch and northerns in MT.  At the very least I should be able to pull out some big northerns, I would think.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Still better then sitting at work all day  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.