The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Disgusted at Georgetown  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Wintersoul23

• IceShanty Rookie
Disgusted at Georgetown
« on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Hey folks,

I spent this LOVELY warm day on the ice with my family, whom I do not get to see often, on the legendary ice of Georgetown Lake. The sun was shining, the wind was completely absent, and not another soul on the ice after 2pm. Though we have had awesome luck elsewhere on the lake we went right out front the pumphouse, as we see a group of people there almost daily. What do we find? Piles of cigarette butts, wads of dip, bait strewn all over the ice, and wrappers, napkins and other pieces of trash absolutely everywhere. It was DISGUSTING. Whoever is responsible for this is an embarrassment and a disgrace. This is pathetic.

I post this here as an alert to other fishermen.  Please be on the lookout for whoever is doing this. That trash doesnt dissapear. Either some poor sap like me picks some of it up or it ends up in the lake.

Ive said all I can say without stooping to pure sarcasm and disgust. Enough is enough. Please help us preserve what little wonders we have left. Report these losers and get them gone. It is very easy to carry a bottle or can to drop your butts in, or a simple grocery bag for your trash. There are even trash cans at the access points to dispose of it. Its really just that easy.

Should also point out that we got one brookie there in three hours, and then after moving caught over a dozen nice rainbows in under an hour elsewhere on the lake. Do the math.

To the VAST majority of you who respect our waters, thank you and bless you, and may your days off ever be productive and filled with fins.
Wishin' I was fishin'

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Disgusted at Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:08 AM »
That's unfortunate, can't say I'm surprised though:(

Offline burn out

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:00 AM »
We were at GT last week . set up close to a family that had a stove cooking lunch (smelled awsome).Then to our disgust we saw them pouring grease and old food down their ice hole.I  talked to them, and they said sorry.lets take care of our incredible rescources

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:25 PM »
While it's certainly sad that this keeps coming up, it's refreshing to hear about folks willing to do or say something about it. "Whaddya gonna do, it just happens" ain't gonna cut it anymore.   We have to call out these clowns, hold them accountable and shout louder (or at least speak more intelligently) than slob parents so their kids understand this is not okay.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline chumley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Ummm.....you do realize Georgetown is awfully close to Butte, don't you?   ;)

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:55 PM »
I agree that we need to police our own, but it needs to be done with tact and caution.  Road rage comes to mind... where people are pulling out bats, guns and 2x4s.  You just can't fix stupid.

Offline mtgrzlys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Ummm.....you do realize Georgetown is awfully close to Butte, don't you?   ;)
Chumley,  what is this supposed to mean?

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Never been there but hearing this is to bad... I have a no tabacco policy on my boat and in my shack... Just because I hate ppl spitting where I fish and hate cigs in general. I will be heading to this lake in august with family if I like it may need to book a winter trip at some point.

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Same discussion as occurred on the Holter thread earlier in Feb.  Has nothing to do with locality or nearby towns.  5% scumbag rule applies to all walks of life.

Offline Murphy 1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2016, 10:14 AM »
I'm from Butte and never leave garbage on the lake, Georgetown is almost as close to Missoula as it is to Butte and I meet a lot of folks from the surrounding towns. Must just be easier to blame it on Butte. I agree with the 5% rule. Chumley=5%

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.