The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Riggin for Walleye  (Read 952 times)

Offline Wollysauce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Work to live. Live to fish.
Riggin for Walleye
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Was looking for some advice.  Have been fishing crooked creek on fort peck.  having a hard time hooking the walleye. Lots of nibbles and if they take it they spit it out half way pillin in. I use a 4 or 6 trebble under the dorsal fin.  Also have to use a steel leader so the pike don't snap the line.  I've seen some people use a two hook system with one treble under the dorsal and one single hook through the mouth.  I feel too much gear around your minnow spookes the walleye.  Any suggestions? Do i sacrafice losing some hooks and minnows and not use a leader to not spooke the walleye?

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Riggin for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I have been fishn Peck for 5 years and have landed literally a hundred + pike and never had one break me off. I have lost em in the trees but even a steel leader wont fix that lol so i use a 3 foot with a #2 MUSTAD HOOK  walleys northerns and lake trout will all take it.
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline beerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:06 PM »
how do you know its walleye? do you have a camera?

cause i was gettin light hits that would set off flags and figured it was perch or crappie doing it.
had no camera but would mark the fish on the marcum. 

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:09 PM »
IMO the steel leader doesnt scare away the walleye especially the big ones. We have steel leader on all our tipups and they have all caught a good number of walleye. And really the minnow size doesn't scare a little walleyeIn fact one morning we went and checked our tipups and a flag was up so we went to that one and while I was pulling it in it felt like there was noting there. Once I pulled it all the way in there was a dead walleye (maybe a pound) with our huge sucker sticking out of its mouth it wasn't even hooked and the walleye had a huge chunk of it missing from a big northern.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:30 PM »
From the looks of it, nobody is talking about jigging.       and a +1 on the perch messing with your set up.  If you catch a perch every now and again it's most definitely perch screwin with it.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:01 PM »
To find out if its perch, grab a jigging rod w/ a small jig and tip it w/ a small minnow head.  Perch in Peck love that setup.  I keep a jiggin rod w/ that setup in my atv for just that occasion!  Last few years, when I get a tripped tipup with the minnow still on but no major tooth marks, I start jigging the hole and more often than not you'll catch a bucket full of perch.  Sometimes it's been a small walleye or 2, but usually perch.  A few years back I was checking tipups and as I was pulling the bait out of the hole to see if it was still lively, a perch followed it up right to the surface.  Grabbed a jigging rod and proceeded to catch 30 decent perch.  Funny thing was the perch that came up the hole following the bait was a 6" perch or so, yet the bait was a 10" sucker minnow!  It stayed in the hole for probably 10 seconds before it gave up and went back down.  About 5 perch later, I think I caught him ;)  Good fishin' - OH

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:09 AM »
HAha yes out I had that happen last year in Hell creek I was fishn in about 6 ft of water and I happen to be checkin it when a perch came up and was hitting my minnow that was as big as he was lol I got a perch pole and got to take a small jig it was pretty kewl
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:35 AM »
We use some 25lb braided line for a leader instead of steel.  Have caught plenty of pike and walleye without getting bitten off.

Offline Keaten LaBrel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:32 PM »
On tiber, I like to run a #2 octopus hook through the head with a smaller treble attached as a stinger attached with one hook one the bottom of the bait where the tail begins.  Haven't had any troubles with that set-up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.