Author Topic: Spreader Poles For Clams/Fish Traps ?  (Read 7152 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Spreader Poles For Clams/Fish Traps ?
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 04:33 AM »
Ive noticed on Fishtraps/Clam web site they offer a spreader poles. Do these poles keep the Fish Trap shut under windy conditions? Ive noticed the new Fish Traps have a rear pole to keep the top open in half postion (on the Scouts), but I am looking for something to keep my Scout closed under real windy days. Below is the pic of the spreader pole.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re:Spreader Poles For Clams/Fish Traps ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2003, 07:34 AM »
FDC the spreader pole is used to support the rear canopy pole. It will allow you to keep the trap open about 2/3 and will also serve as a brace for the rear when closed. There was talk of Clam coming out with other spreader poles for the purpose you mentioned - I would check the Clam website and/or contact Clam.  
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:46 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I called clam corp the other day and asked if they have spreader poles.  They said yes @ $14.95 each.
  You would have to adapt and cut them.  They are the front center pole for the clam 5600.  You might get on www.clamcorp.com and see what you might need.  I have the scout and it does come in on you when windy.
I have been looking all over trying to make something cheaper than $14.95 but have had no luck so far?
  Da-Roc

Glad I only use the scout when its early or late season.  Cause in Feb it would stink for a clam to open up on you.  To Bad they didn't include poles from the factory.  I bet Genz has them  :P !

I was told to slide a 1/2 inch iron rod 26'' long thru the front  hoop.  I was told that helps too?

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:55 PM »
Da Roc,

Did the Clam folks also tell you that it $15.00 for shipping and handling for that spreader pole  (per their web site)??  Sounds like a total of $29 to me. :(

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2003, 07:15 PM »
otter sells the ends for spreaders both 1/2 inch and 3/4.
then all you will need is a lenth of conduit.  these should work well for you. let me know how it works
good luck.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2003, 07:29 PM »
One thing you could try if you have some basic tools is... ½" electric conduit slides inside of ¾" conduit real nicely, so cut cut a couple of each with a tubing cutter, hacksaw, metabo or whatever you have, then drill a hole and weld a nut on the the ¾ conduit. Use a thumb screw, bolt or what ever to put a bind on the other tube. Or you could drill holes though both and put a bolt through them. Conduit cost about 3 to 4 bucks for a 10' length. So for less than $10  you could make several.

GatorSlayer

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2003, 11:10 PM »
Another option would be to go to local camper/RV dealer. I'm sure they would have a wide variety of adjustable poles. They should also carry the c-clips at the end of the pole for attaching to your frame. I have found quite a few handy items at the local camper/RV dealer for repairing/building the portable shanty. Could be cheaper than going direct through the web site, who knows. I think it would be worth a look.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2003, 01:01 PM »
The Otter catalog lists 3/4" C-clips 4 pack $5.50. 7/8" C-clip $3.70. Adj. pole $9.95. Part nos. 2900,2910 and 2930.Their phone is 320-963-6480.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Big Johnny Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Do Something Ordinary!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2003, 04:58 PM »
Hi,
I own an older Dave Genz Fish Trap (1992), and back then, they didn't make any 'spreaders' so you couldn't use your trap as a wind breaker on nice days on the ice.  I came up with a simple and cheap way to do this, then the Clam Corporation came up with theirs!!

Material List:
1 section of 1/2" Schedule 40 Rigid PVC Conduit (At Home Depot, Lowes, etc)
2 6" pieces of regular Velcro (wife or girlfriend has some)
2 3" pieces of Velco that has a tape backing (it is basically Velcro Tape) (a good wife or good girlfriend has some)
**Make sure the Velcro Tape is the opposite kind of the two 6" pieces or it won't 'stick' together.
Pop rivit gun and 2 rivits

Details: The PVC comes with a female end.  Measure the length needed between the span of the frame to hold up your trap to act like a wind break.  Cut two pieces of the PVC to the length measured, adding the extra (about 1") that is needed when the two are attached.  (You are basically making a two piece pole.)
Next, pop rivit the two 6" pieces of Velcro to both the male ends of the PVC so the extend outward.  These will wrap around your exsisting frame on your Trap.

Now, tape the two 3" pieces of Velcro to your sled in the middle of both frames where your PVC pole will attach.

You are done!!  When you want to use it, simply connect the two pieces of PVC, wrap the Vecro around your frame to secrure the PVC pole to your Trap, and you have it!!  It is basically using the same idea that the Clam Corporation sells as their 'spreaders'.

The nice thing about this is that because it is not metal, it is a little easier on the hands to set up in cold weather. Plus, because it is two pieces, it stores nicely in the shelf in the back of your Trap or in the bottom of you sled.  Also, it is lighter as compared to using metal conduit.

Here are some pics to better illistrate:   Let me know what you think:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf07b3127cce829c9b1e4cd40000001010
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf07b3127cce829c9e538d330000001610
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3cf07b3127cce829c9e1d8d7d0000001610
Me fish a lot, and me have a problem....Inmate 0046

Offline Big Johnny Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Do Something Ordinary!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2003, 05:22 PM »
FishDeepCreek,
I forgot to mention that an easy way that I use on my Fish Trap to keep it from not opening on windy days when you go and visit your buddies is to use doulble sided Velcro (when wrapped on itself, it will stick) and wrap it tight around the frame assembly by the hinge point.  One piece on both sides should do the trick.
Me fish a lot, and me have a problem....Inmate 0046

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.