Author Topic: What's the best ice rod?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's the best ice rod?
« on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Every year I pick up a couple rods from Cabelas. I've got a dozen or so of the best they have.... But I still want a rod that you can feel a fish tap it. Like actually feel the bite in the handle! Most of mine you can see the twitch of the rod tip or spring bobber. But I can't feel a light bite! I fish for Crappie, white bass, perch, and occasional Walleye. 
And suggestions? I don't care about price at this point! $100 ? IDK but I've wasted enough money on the $40 or less junk!!!
Scott Tincher
Clam Pro Staff. ~Power Stick~

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What's the best ice rod?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:18 AM »
The best rod is one with a fish on it.  Otherwise inorder to "feel" the bite though you need a stiffer rod and one that you probably aren't going to "see" the bite on.

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:28 AM »
I'm tempted to take my open water rods! I have some 6' rods that I can feel a nibble from a 3" perch!
Scott Tincher

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:30 AM »
DH customs rods are the most sensitive thing I've handled.  You can feel anything and everything with it.  Amazingly light and sensitive.  They run around  $70  or $90 with recoil guides(worth it)

Offline Frank81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Personally, I haven't got a preference for ice fishing rods, I usually end up buying random combos that seem to do the trick and occasionally buy a decent reel and keep the ones that came with the combo as a spare.

Honestly, If I would have kept track over the years, I think my old faithful tip up has out fished all my poles lol

Offline stcroixx09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:24 PM »
thorne bros makes nice custom rods i use the walleye sweatheart a lot, but own about 5 of them. $70-$100 each. then i put shimano reels on but those aint cheap.
Lake O The Woods Baby

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:42 PM »
There are going to be a lot of things at play when it comes to "feeling" the bite, the blank, the make and shape of the handle, the details of the way the rod is put together, the line used, the tightness of the line all play into feeling the bit.  In shallow water you will be able to feel the bite much better than you will if you are fishing in deeper water.

My suggestion is you are looking for a feel rod is to call a custom rod maker and talk with them, answer all their questions and tell them exactly what it is that you are looking for and let them build you a rod specific to your needs.

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:01 PM »
I don't own one, but If I had the money I would be all over a thorne bros quiver stick --> http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Thorne-Bros-Quiverstick-c410.htm
or power noodle -->http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Thorne-Bros-Power-Noodle-c407.htm

sounds like quiver stick is more up your alley.
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:11 PM »

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Id go thorn brothers. My buddy bought a dh custom last year and now this year his eyes are starting to twist. He is going to contact them and see if they will replace it for him. When i called them to ask a question about a custom the guy seemed rude and talked to me like my questions were stupid.....so i decided i would take my business elsewhere.

Offline Derrick NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:57 PM »
x2 for thorne bros

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone
- Robert Frost -

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2013, 01:59 PM »
That's unfortunate,  I didn't really appreciate the way TB handled my questions, the fellow I spoke with seemed a tad condescending.

I was never impressed with much TB offered for the prices they are charging, good rods, but in my opinion better can be had for the money.

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I just spoke with the guys at DH. Seemed very nice and helpful. I would think they can repair a broken rod! Like anyone that provides a product or service, when people call in with defects, care is always the first question! I build custom homes. If there is a problem, my first reaction is to see if the homeowner caused the problem! Lol.
Scott Tincher

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:41 PM »
As far as a "feel type" rod for panfish, it is tough to beat a TB quiverstick. I have handled and used just about everything out there and love em! they will fish a 1/16oz spoon down to a 1/100oz jig...

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:56 PM »
I like my 13 fishimg wicked rods in ul. i  can feel alot and for only 30 for a rod I can't beat them.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Schooley Arctic Blue, they are fiberglass with a sensitive tip.   I can tap the rod and feel the jig vibrate on the other end.  They're cheap, around $10 and a great shallow water rod. I replaced Jason Mitchel Panfish with the Schooley's , they transmit vibrations better than the other rods I have.

gofish33

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:07 PM »
I like my 13 fishimg wicked rods in ul. i  can feel alot and for only 30 for a rod I can't beat them.

X2 for the money. be careful what reels you have. some of mine will not stay on the reel seat because the reel seat is too small.
this year they have an all new extra ultra light i'll be picking a few of these up soon.

heres a cool trick for ya, take a square of toilet paper or a kleenex tissue paper in one hand and stand it on the tip (so the rod tip is in the center of the paper and the paper is mostly standing up and down with hardly any angle on it) of the rods you want to feel it with and move the paper up and down. another one is rub the tip onto some thing near by like a paper header on some product and move the rod back and forth. while you are at it, hook the rod end under your other hand and bring the rod upwards to watch and feel the back bone move to see where it kicks in and how strong it is after it kicks in.

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:27 PM »
X3 on the 13 fishing wicked rod. Love mine, but if you're dead set on a custom I've heard good things about Bricker custom Rods.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:33 PM »
X3 on the 13 fishing wicked rod. Love mine, but if you're dead set on a custom I've heard good things about Bricker custom Rods.

I love Brickers rods, but he's so backed up, it's not a decent option if you want it this season.

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:50 PM »
http://www.dhcustomrods.com/html/hard_water_rods.html

20xs the feel of any TB rod.

The next time your in the bush and see a brown bear, give him a hug and do us all a favor  ;D

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:56 PM »
I'd consider it, but they are sleeping.  Until they awaken,  maybe longer, I'll continue to share the opinions I formed from actually using the products I offer my opinion on.  ::)

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Thanks guys! I ordered a couple DH custom rods. I'm going to try the Pantom, and the Al  Dente Noodle. I found some good reviews and saw them in action on YouTube.
Scott Tincher

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2013, 05:03 PM »
.....and if you think that, convince DH to come on this forum and make this kind statement......and they won't.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2013, 05:09 PM »
So what?  I'm a consumer.  I wouldn't expect any builder to claim anything like that. 

Exaggeration? Definitely.  But I prefer them, by far.

Offline muskiemulisha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I run the dh and the thornes.  I prefer the DH

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Schooley Arctic Blue, they are fiberglass with a sensitive tip.   I can tap the rod and feel the jig vibrate on the other end.  They're cheap, around $10 and a great shallow water rod. I replaced Jason Mitchel Panfish with the Schooley's , they transmit vibrations better than the other rods I have.

gofish33

for crappie those schoolleys are awesome for not ripping out the hooks.  i ended out with some ice slammer rods from sports mens direct you guys can google them if you like. they are made of solid carbon and work awesome for me.  the walleye rods in the medium to medium heavy work great  for eye's. they good back bone i even got their ultra lite that is awesome for pan fish like gills.   if going after perch you would be better of with a Medium Light or Light action depending if they are jumbo perch or not.. those action are very much the same for all rods but it depends on the back bone and the sensitivity of the rods. to be a good rod.  i have been finding the higher priced rods like  like $40 -$60 are absolute crap like fenwick and st croix are too stiff  and not right cause of them being to stiff. i suggest you pick up what ever you looking at first and play with it . this is cause custom is not always right just cause some one say it the best does not mean it is.  i build a lot of my own sticks and a lot of them are different action for different things. not one is perfect for every thing..so most of the time owning more then one is needed...    best part is those ice slammer rod are only about $15 and are custom built for the guy... if you would like a picture i can get one of a ice slammer rod. 

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:07 PM »
The best rod is one with a fish on it.

First thing that crossed my mind when I read the thread topic.  ;D

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:44 PM »
The feel of a perch at 20 feet is not that tough. To get the feel of a whitey at 120 feet is the line . You may need to get some good stiff low stretch Braid  on then run a short say 6 foot flouro or even Mono for a leader.. You cannot feel lite hitters over 50 feet away on stretchy line .  That may be the issue . A good Graphite rod is great but not the only issue.   I don't cast as far away as i fish through the ice.  If you really want to see what I mean just hold the line in your fingers, the most sensitive thing line in fingertips. If you cannot feel it that way the rod isn't going to help. I hold the line in my fingers fishing at night all the time and you can feel a fish breath on the bait well maybe not breath but tap tap .  I have been robed blind by white fish over 120 feet away on Mono even holding the line.  Low stretch     My Two Cents . 

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:00 PM »
I bought a DH this year, and called them two different times asking questions. They were great to talk to, and I know they have better things to do than to answer my questions. After receiving my rod and talking to the guys there I am ordering more from them soon.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:04 PM »
I like Thorne bros best but Jason Mitchell meatstick is my second choice
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.