Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
What would you do?
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:13 PM »
K,this starts out in december, when the wind blows this shanty across the lake.3 weeks later its still there ,layng on its side.Its a really warm day,60 degrees,so there is a lot of water on the ice.so i go over and standit up so it wont freeze in tarp side down,i figure he hasnt been here for a few weeks so i fold it up so it dont get destroyed in the next wind storm.it sits there till feb 25 ,the day we have to have the shacks off the ice.well now the ice isnt safe to get to the shack because its at the bottom of a 40 cliff.well a icefishing buddy"a guy i met fishing" and i decide we better get it off if we can.i ran my 75 ft strap down the cliff and my buddy climbed down and hooked it up so it could pull it up with the 4 wheeler.well its still sitting there...I have tried to contact him.only has a name and town on the shack,which isnt even legal here.he is from about 60 miles away.nobody i have talked to from his town knows him,and no listed #.If it stays there much longer im sure the kids will destroy it.Should i take it and keep trying to contact him,or leave it?

stump

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:33 PM »
I would think if the owner was really concerned he would have come looking for it by now.  Sounds like you've done enough already.  You could take it home and try a few more times to contact him.  Who knows what sort of circumstances could have recently occurred in the guy's life rendering him unavailable.  If you are still unable to get a hold of him then I guess you'll have a new shack to add to your arsenal of ice gear. ;)  You could contact the authorities as well and see if it's been reported missing.  He may have gone to the lake and not noticed it blown to the other side....

Trevor

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:37 PM »
take it home for safe keeping...use in the internet to help find his phone number, give the police the info also...

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:59 PM »
it actually was only 30 yds from were he left it when i folded it up.the wind moved it around a bit

stump

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:07 PM »
Hey if it was me i'ed just report it to  the police they would probally just tell you to keep it. ;D

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2005, 11:26 PM »
that a tuff one........think you rescued it it yours......I would report to conservation office , here if not removed on the proper date they notify the owner and he has one day to remove them, if not removed they light them on fire where they sit.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:57 AM »
As a Police Officer, I would advise you to at least contact the authorities and make certain it has not been reported stolen. From what you are saying, I seriously doubt it but it always pays to be safe. I think you are well within your rights to take it for safe keeping in the mean time once you determine its not stolen property. You could possibly try to contact the local law enforcement agency in the town or area he is from and see if they can help you contact him. If this doesnt work, I would say enjoy your new shanty. You have already gone above and beyond what the normal person would do. I think from a legal standpoint, if you do these things and still dont find the owner, you are golden.

IceTroll
     :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:54 AM »
Does this shanty happen to be on north west bay on lake george LOL. If so, I know who's it is.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:14 AM »
nope,mitchell ,SD.gonna contact  local PD today and see what they say.

stump

isnt much of a shack but im sure someone would use it if i pulled it out next year and put it over a good spot.just stick a free to use sign on it.

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:37 PM »
stump - think about it for a minute - this could be your perfect chance to get even with the #$%h*les that stole your stuff earlier this season. Next season, you could set this shanty up as bait......well, I'll leave the rest to you.
Gregg

hali-man

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:42 PM »
Let 'em burn it. Like IceTroll said, you've done enough.
It really isn't your problem, man. If you don't want it why go through the hassle?
JMO

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Well I Obviously dont need it for myself but i see alot of guys/kids sitting out in the cold that would appreciate a shelter.figure if this dimwit dont want it,i may as well try to set up someone who cant afford a shack.I mean ,im out there every day anyway,its not like it would be a hassle to take one more shack out for the season.Didnt have time to chat with the cops today,maybe tomorrow.

stump

Offline jimmbobb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Sounds like a good deed to do if it works out like you are considering

Offline butterworm

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • the presidents office.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Sounds like a good deed to do if it works out like you are considering
sounds like you have done everything you can to find out who it belongs to.im sure if you do keep it for others they will be real appreciative. it is better to sit in a shelter than the blowing cold. lets you stay and fish longer. hope all goes well.  :) :tipup:

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:11 PM »
fill it with brush and let her go to the bottom will make a good crappie bed,if theres crappies in the area were it is ,bill

missfishylicious

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:17 AM »
take it home .tell the cops you got it. give them the name on it and after thirty days ,or what ever the law states keep it .thats what I'd do if I couldn't find the owner .

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2005, 03:18 PM »
I would do the same as MissFishy... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.