Author Topic: Off Topic but good question  (Read 3856 times)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Off Topic but good question
« on: Jan 25, 2005, 11:58 AM »
Ok, I know this guy who secured a contract to supply personell over to Iraq. Something like a couple hundred people or something. Anywho, here's the question. Let's say you are offered a menial job that we all could do over there, and the offer of pay was $12K-$16K per month. You would have to go for a minimal eight weeks in. Would you go?

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Off Topic but good question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Once ice fishing season was over I would consider going.

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:13 PM »
Depends on the family situation.  Good pay though.  If I was young and not attached I'd be there in min.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:20 PM »
PARDON ME, BUT, there's no amount of money you could pay me to help those murderous people out in any way.  As a matter of fact, if it were within my power to "push the button", I'd turn that place to DUST!!!

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND KEEP THEM SAFE!!!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:39 PM »
PARDON ME, BUT, there's no amount of money you could pay me to help those murderous people out in any way.  As a matter of fact, if it were within my power to "push the button", I'd turn that place to DUST!!!

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND KEEP THEM SAFE!!!

Iceballs, come on bud, tell us what you REALLY think!!! Just kiddn' with ya bra......... ;D ;D

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:13 PM »
I could make 250,000 in one year working iraq. Still not worth as much as my life is worth...you couldnt dodge the bullet forever. I'd cosider a million a year, stay for 2 years, and get the hell home. I'd be packing heat and wearing a vest if I was offered the mil, no doubt about that. I'll be d**ned if you'll see my beheading on goregasm.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Great question but consider the tax implications!
You take your life in your hands for say 15 grand per month, make a decent years salary in two months and if you make it home to the good old US, Uncle Sam and the IRS will be there waiting for you and wanting their cut of around 60%. Money made by US citizens outside the US is one of the highest tax brackets going.
I have to agree with another above.
Turn that sand desert into a glass bowl in the name of ALAH!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2005, 03:11 PM »
NO!!!

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2005, 03:13 PM »
I WOULD TURN ALL THERE SAND TO GLASS WITH A NUKE OR TWO  ;D  ;D  ;D
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Im with you IceBalls,i wouldnt go there to help them for any amount of money.I say bring our troops home and push the button.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2005, 04:50 PM »
NUKE EM TILL THEY GLOW AND SHOOT EM IN THE DARK!!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:33 PM »
Never. I dont care what the pay is. I wont end up on the 6 o'clock news in a video with a gun to MY head.  You have to be a dope to go abroad with the clown in the white house we have....oh, never mind. Dont get me going.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:51 PM »
With a United States Millitary uniform on defending and representing our country for the chump change they are paid and being hated by every country and even by some unpatriotoc citizens of our own??.....In a minute!

As a private citizen with no ability to defend myself and with little or no appreciation from the country in question? Doubtful at best. Lots of money makes no difference to me. Its not about money...

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:54 PM »
no >:(

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2005, 08:34 PM »
Oldfarts Quote "You have to be a dope to go abroad with the clown in the white house we have....oh, never mind. Dont get me going".

Talk about clowns in the white house! The mere thought of AL Gore or John Kerry has me rolling on the floor. One thing we do have in common is the "OLD".

trapperdirk

« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2005, 07:24 AM »
OK VC .Once ice fishing is over with here at the end of April sign me on . I'll take my chances of a beheading for that kind of scratch but the bad ones from there should be ready to be skinned before they get my head easily . Here's a pic that hit one of the biggest newspapers in this country years ago and my mother inlaw gave it to me . ROTFLMAO .

hali-man

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:31 AM »
Here's a pic that hit one of the biggest newspapers in this country years ago and my mother inlaw gave it to me .

At least she has a sense of humor, TD. ;D

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Where do I sign up?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2005, 12:56 PM »
No way man. No money is worth my head.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2005, 01:46 PM »
No I would not.  How many times have you seen on the news about a civillian getting captured.  All the public thinks it is so bad but the people who go over there are going at their own risk and expect the millitary to save them.  The only ones who make the real money are the fat cats in suits who wouldn't spend a dime to save the people they send.

outdoors13

« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:04 PM »
I WOULD TURN ALL THERE SAND TO GLASS WITH A NUKE OR TWO  ;D  ;D  ;D

Worlds biggest ice skating rink so the ice here is left only to fisherman :woot: >:D

trapperdirk

« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:16 PM »
Come on lads ,wheres your sense of adventure ?. I'll bring my winny model 94 and the shotgun to help us out . I'm in VC ,,,where are the papers to sign ? ???

TD

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2005, 01:17 AM »
I fought in the Gulf War back in 1991. I am now a Police Officer. I have applied for a 1 year contract position over in Iraq for $120,000 a year, tax free, all expenses paid. I would go in a heart beat. I have no problem with those of you that have very strong feelings about the issue but I dont share your feelings. A large part of the Iraq population was victimized by a tyrant and are not the ones trying to kill our soldiers. Some of these people are good people that deserve our help. Thats what the USA is about. Ask almost any soldier who is there right now or has been there and a vast majority will tell you that they believe in what they are doing. I refuse to judge an entire race of people because of the acts of a bunch of religious fanatic terrorists. Not all Arabs are terrorists and plenty of Iraq's people are innocent and deserve a chance to live free. Its easy to hate after all we as Americans have been through with Terrorists, Saddam and Bin-Ladin but we need to focus our hate on the guilty and eliminate the threat. Nuking an entire race because of the acts of some is nothing short of genocide and would make us no better than the people that started the problem in the beginning. I risk my life everyday in the name of freedom and the American way of life. It makes no difference to me if its here or there as long as the cause is just.

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:40 AM »
Well said Icetroll. We all need to be slapped back to reality at times and you have certainly expressed what we all know to be true. Too often we allow frustrations to set the path.
It is the fanatics that I feel so strongly against and Iraq and other Muslim countries have their share of them. Come to think of it, the USA has no shortage either.
Thanks for setting the record straight.
Now, lets hope that all of our efforts cause the good people over there to stand up and fight for the freedom they deserve. :clap:

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:32 AM »
I definately agree w/ people that are against it as well as people that are strongly for it such as IceTroll.  There definately needs to be a country willing to step up and fix the problem - who better than the US.  ANyways.. I have a few friends that are also over in Iraq right now for a govt contractor doing IT business and computer stuff.  I definately worry about them all the time - but they say for the most part they are not too terribly concerned w/ being over there.  Still - it's a lot to think about - and they're pulling in about $6k a month I believe.  STill - IMO - not worth my life too  ;D

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:44 AM »
No...........nowhere to ice fish.....

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:46 AM »
SIGN ME UP! WHO WOULD BE BETTER ? US OLD FARTS WITH A ATTITUDE.
willing to learn new tactics

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2005, 12:38 PM »
Depends where the job was and what it was. For 30Gs I would strongy concider going.
Anthony

trapperdirk

« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2005, 02:35 PM »
SIGN ME UP! WHO WOULD BE BETTER ? US OLD FARTS WITH A ATTITUDE.

Your darn tootin . ;D Well so far theres a few of us so come on VC show us the money .Were ready to hire on . ;D

TD

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:37 PM »
A: You must be Canadian
B: You have to have oil & gas background.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.