New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1338944 times)

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9510 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:52 PM »
I would guess 13-14.  I was told rule of thumb is 10 lbs for 30 inches and a pound per inch after. Obviously it varies a bit but that’s in the ballpark. In any case what a fish on a tiny little jigging rod😎

Yeah, I bet.

I was thinking the same weight.

Offline icehouserlt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9511 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:11 PM »
I'm stoked for my first trip to lg!!!! Just knowing I got a chance at a monster!! Friday can't get here soon enough!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9512 on: Feb 10, 2019, 09:32 PM »
I'm stoked for my first trip to lg!!!! Just knowing I got a chance at a monster!! Friday can't get here soon enough!!

Gonna be a hard walk out there on Friday for ya.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9513 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:10 AM »

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9514 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Grab one of these Allen, they work great and don't take up much room. https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AMW-SR-5-Digital-HanGinG/dp/B0012T9QNA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?keywords=aws%2Bsr-5%2Bscale&qid=1549886649&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr1&th=1

But it only goes up to 44 pounds  ;D

I think it's safe for the lakers but i wouldn't be surprised to see a Hudson River Striper bottom it out this year  @)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9515 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:36 AM »
I do have a digital scale but Its dead and I keep forgetting to pick up new batteries.  It takes the flat round watch style ones
AM

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9516 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:07 AM »
I keep a lip grabbing tool hooked ontop if my flasher at all times when laker fishing. Also has a built in scale. Works great for snatching fish from the hole. 

Offline daytondedrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9517 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:36 AM »
They dont call him fishmarket for nuttin! So...any of you laker guys familar with deepwater sculpin? I know they are down there and the lakers feed on them. Copper colored and easily replicated. Ever find one in the bellies of the beasts? Seen one? Catch one? The old timers say they are down there.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9518 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:42 AM »
I keep a lip grabbing tool hooked ontop if my flasher at all times when laker fishing. Also has a built in scale. Works great for snatching fish from the hole.
I need to buy one. I lost my personal best Laker at the hole yesterday. Couldnt get it's head up long enough to grab it w my hand. Would of had opportunity or 2 with lip grabber. Felt like amateur hr for us. My brother lost a nice Laker messing with his drag. I lost mine at the hole. I broke the tip of my rod trying to get ice off it. Few Lookers, some chasers and couple that got off. Make sure you guys wear creepers. Saw a guy take hard fall yesterday off vets. Laid there for bit.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9519 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Yeah it’s really a good tool. It’s the pistol grip style. It locks shut. I’ll stick my hand down the hole and pull it out . When you get to that point that the fish has it’s head out of the water and starts to flop around is when they like to spit the hook. Also good for pics and stuff. You sick the fish back in the hole and take it back out for a pic or measurement with out the fear of it slipping from your fingers.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9520 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:36 AM »
anyone see the MORON with the 4 seat UTV on sunday at Vets?  He was running his machine wide open between tipups and people, hitting the rev limiter the whole way out and back.     He was going so fast he squared the huge pressure ridge and just about killed himself and the two kids with him.    How drunk was that guy?   Incredible reckless operation.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9521 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:49 AM »
anyone see the MORON with the 4 seat UTV on sunday at Vets?  He was running his machine wide open between tipups and people, hitting the rev limiter the whole way out and back.     He was going so fast he squared the huge pressure ridge and just about killed himself and the two kids with him.    How drunk was that guy?   Incredible reckless operation.
Did it have light bar on top of it?  We got off just before dark. Handful of trucks in lot when we left. Lot was packed earlier in day

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9522 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:55 AM »

I saw him and heard him hit the pressure ridge. What is wrong with people. No sense at all.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9523 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:40 AM »

I think the guy was showing off and it turned into a little more than he bargained for when he hit that water.  To put yourself in that situation is one thing but to put your children in danger like that was just insane :-\  I'm glad nobody got hurt but wow. 

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9524 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:43 AM »
I do have a digital scale but Its dead and I keep forgetting to pick up new batteries.  It takes the flat round watch style ones

Wow that's a monster WTG :thumbsup:   With a fish like that it might be best to not hold it vertical anyway just for a weight like they recommend for pike and musky but at that point whether it's 11 or 15lbs what does it matter.   Must have been something getting that on a jig rod. 

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9525 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:53 AM »

I seen him pulling into the parking lot when I was loaded my gear up to leave they were unloading it right where the entrance opened up to the parking lol blocking the way out and had his kids just standing around in the entrance rd blocking traffic while he talking to somebody. I had to beep to get them out of the way so I could leave. After seeing that I'm not surprised he hit the ridge. You know what they say can't fix stupid
Go big or go home

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9526 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:55 PM »
anyone see the MORON with the 4 seat UTV on sunday at Vets?  He was running his machine wide open between tipups and people, hitting the rev limiter the whole way out and back.     He was going so
fast he squared the huge
pressure ridge and just about
killed himself and the two kids
with him.    How drunk was that
guy?   Incredible reckless
operation.

It amazes me more people don’t go through the ice or have accidents. Idiots rip all over the lake, most have no concept of ice depth, pressure ridges, and weep holes and how much it can make ice vary on LG. It’s just assumed that the ice on the pond in there home town is 18” and there’s machines all over MDB the whole lake must be fine.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9527 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Talking about ice variations. I was drilling ice 18" to 8 or 9" yesterday and it was only maybe 200 yards apart. Same depth. North basin. Be safe out there.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9528 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:22 PM »
It amazes me more people don’t go through the ice or have accidents. Idiots rip all over the lake, most have no concept of ice depth, pressure ridges, and weep holes and how much it can make ice vary on LG. It’s just assumed that the ice on the pond in there home town is 18” and there’s machines all over MDB the whole lake must be fine.

We were out of Pilot Knob last weekend on 5.5 inches of ice and had someone drive up in a vehicle very similar and ask how thick the ice was …..  when my buddy told them they said so we should probably turn around and did just that.

If it was me my answer would have been at least 2 inches everywhere i've drilled  ;D

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9529 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:28 PM »

Should report that idiot to CPS/cops next time. Being dumb is one thing, endangering kids not acceptable.

Online carpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9530 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:04 PM »
Yeah bigred, we saw the MORON hit that pressure ridge. We were out in deep water. We were talking about if he was gonna roll it over. He was out there last weekend driving the same way. :tipup:

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9531 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:48 PM »
gunna make a trip up soon. how long yall think the ice will last and still be good near Ripley point?

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9532 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Talking about ice variations. I was drilling ice 18" to 8 or 9" yesterday and it was only maybe 200 yards apart. Same depth. North basin. Be safe out there.

18" on the north end?  I find that hard to believe unless you were on the extreme north end by prisoners island.  I haven't been on more than 6 all season up here
AM

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9533 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Wow that's a monster WTG :thumbsup:   With a fish like that it might be best to not hold it vertical anyway just for a weight like they recommend for pike and musky but at that point whether it's 11 or 15lbs what does it matter.   Must have been something getting that on a jig rod.

Thanks slipbob and yes its probably better you dont hold a fish like that vertical hanging by the mouth.
AM

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9534 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:31 PM »
I saw him and heard him hit the pressure ridge. What is wrong with people. No sense at all.

The big ridge?  Ouch that had to sting.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9535 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:41 PM »

same here.   PK area.  anywhere from 12 or 13 inches down to 5 or 6.  Was drilling  over 15+ a mile north of MDB....300 yards away...8 inches.  Just know what your standing on!!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9536 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Lol. Ice ridge got me this weekend also. Busted up the ice sled.

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9537 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:46 PM »
They dont call him fishmarket for nuttin! So...any of you laker guys familar with deepwater sculpin? I know they are down there and the lakers feed on them. Copper colored and easily replicated. Ever find one in the bellies of the beasts? Seen one? Catch one? The old timers say they are down there.

I was up on the lake Jan 28th and we caught a laker on a trap baited with a 9” Cisco. When we pulled the laker in it spit up a sculpin. My friends and I were fishing with Captain JJ and he identified the sculpin. They’re definitely in there.
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

JJ

« Reply #9538 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Yes, slimy sculpin are in there, just not in the numbers of schooling forage like smelt and cisco. I have seen lakers spit them up alive several times and even found a few lives ones hiding in plastic bags or fabric that gets caught on a downrigger ball. Find them once in a while in their stomachs when cleaning them; found one with about 15 a couple years ago, not sure how it managed to find that many to eat.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9539 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:03 PM »
I was around huletts area when I drilled 18" my drill was buried. Couple hundred yards away was 8-9. I did not hit it with a measuring tape but it was definitely over 16". I was going to hit the ice today but I came up with the plague yesterday. Now all the snow will be here tomorrow and back to the terrible drags. Next year I will have another 4 wheeler no doubt!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.