Author Topic: Tip-up rigging  (Read 1423 times)

Offline jtprzn

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-up rigging
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:04 AM »
Has anyone ever used circle hooks on their tip ups with shiners/fatheads? Wondering if this would help stop some gut hookings.

Cheers

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-up rigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:13 AM »
I do , work very good , when used properly. I typically use about 4-5 in shiners. 95% hooked in corner of mouth

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:35 AM »
i use them as well.....be sure to use the inline point version (not offset) to prevent gut hooking....1/0 will catch perch to gator pike....they are tricky to use at first...do not set the hook....i pull in a steady "hard" manner to get the hook to set...you will likely miss a few fish before you get the hang of it but once you the fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth

https://www.gamakatsu.com/product/octopus-hooks-circle-inline-point/

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:50 PM »
forgot to mention be sure to tie the hook with a snell knot....

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:30 AM »
i use them too for a few years now.  once you get used to it you won't miss any more fish than normal and once a fish is hooked on a circle hook all the way, there's much less chance they come off. 

like squatch said, make sure it's the inline type not offset and it has to be the right size for the bait you're using/target fish size.  a 1/0 gamakatsu will work with med to large shiners and will hook up well with large perch up to nice sized pike.  doesn't work every time but nothing does really.  some people don't like them, but i can assure you once you get used to it, it works and it works well.  I highly prefer them to regular hooks for tip ups. 

if the fish is running hard, wait to touch the line (same i'd recommend for regular hooks too).  if it slows down but is still moving, pinch the line down with your fingers (this will put the hook in the corner of the mouth most times) and IMMEDIATELY when you feel the fish start smoothly but firmly pulling the line in.  Pull in as fast as the weight/fight of the fish will allow (again, same as regular hook).  If the fish is not moving at all you'll need to slowly tighten up the line by slowly and smoothly pulling it in and then, same as before, immediately when feeling the fish start that smooth firm retrieve to make sure the hook goes all the way in.

I pretty much never gut hook fish unless i screw up with the above^ and i get cut off much much less by pickerel and pike without having to increase my leader test.

oh and make sure the circle hooks are needle sharp!  if they are not maximum sticky get a new one.  they are almost impossible to sharpen while maintaining full efficiency due to the design.  you can't get away with a kind of sharp or pretty sharp hook point with circle hooks...at least i wouldn't chance it.

Offline jtprzn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Thank you both for the tips/explanation. Heading out next weekend and plan to try setting some up this way.

Tight lines!

Offline Chrisper4694

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:53 AM »
np, don't get frustrated, i does take a little getting used to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.