Author Topic: Mountain lake????  (Read 7626 times)

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Mountain lake????
« on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:36 AM »
Any reports yet????

MikeThePike

Re: Mountain lake????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:49 PM »
I'm gonna stop and check it on my way back to NJ on Saturday. With it being spring fed I just couldn't see it being "safe" yet. Those springs make the ice unpredictable. You can have 5-6" in 1 place and walk 50 feet and have 1-2." Thats the only reason I won't really fish this place early ice, although the spring water would be a bit warmer if I fell thru... ;)

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Your right I have noticed in the past that the ice there has not been as thick as expected.

Normally I fish near that bar/resturant. It was closed last year and before that they didn't seem to care if you parked there. I see other guys fishing near what appears to be a swimming beach. Is this beach area better?

MikeThePike

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I usually parked in the lot by the boat ramp and fished right out from it. There are 2 bars/ resturants on the lake so which one are you referring to?

There doesn't seem to be 1 area of the lake that produces better than any other. Its just a matter of finding the right depth which is tough seeing as it's a sudden drop off to 30+ feet.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Isn't Mountain Lake supposed to have Tiger Muskies in it?

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Isn't Mountain Lake supposed to have Tiger Muskies in it?

That's why I fish there

MikeThePike

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:10 PM »
I personally have never seen a tiger caught here but I have talked to people who have gotten them. There are a few but its mostly pure strains.

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Put em back their not yours!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I caught a 45" tiger there about 4 years ago and hooked another the very next day that made that one look small, But that was the last time I ever caught one there.
The state stopped stocking the tigers there many years ago.
Also Tigers only live to be 8 to 11 years old.
If you catch one now I would be very suprised.
Today's Tip; Shut up and fish you big baby!!!
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:06 PM »
JYoung we have caught both one Tiger was 13 yrs old. so they can still be in there boys. When it freezes hit it hard you will catch Big Fish. Good Luck see you out there.
Mr.Esox

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2005, 05:15 PM »
I caught a 45" tiger there about 4 years ago and hooked another the very next day that made that one look small, But that was the last time I ever caught one there.
The state stopped stocking the tigers there many years ago.
Also Tigers only live to be 8 to 11 years old.
If you catch one now I would be very suprised.

I thought it was stocked by Muskies Inc.

MikeThePike

« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2005, 02:20 PM »
All stockings are done by the state (with the lone exception being some sportsmans clubs stocking trout). Muskies Inc donates money towards the raising of the fish but couldn't possibly afford to do the stockings themselves.

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Mike is both right and wrong.
The state did stop stocking tigers but yet he is wrong about Muskies Inc not being able to afford stocking Mountain Lake.
Mike no disrespect but I don't believe that you know the history of Muskies Inc. and I dont think you know what goes on in the day to day operation of our club.
I have been an active member of Muskies Inc for 14 years now and we raise more money now than we did 14 years ago and through our hard work that is why there are Muskies here in this state.
We use to buy all the muskies that were brought here in fact the states stocking is directly related to our stocking. The state puts out their nets and uses the fish that we (Muskies Inc) stocked up until around 7 years ago.

Muskies Inc works very hard in conjunction with the state and their stocking efforts. We give them money for bait to raise the fish to a larger size before stocking. We buy them equipment to help them handle the fish with minimal stress. We just bought nets to put over the holding ponds.
So I would say that the reason why we don't buy fish to stock is not because we can't afford to but because we can give the state the same amount of money and get 5 times as many fish to be stocked throughout the state.
If you ever want to read about the history of Muskies Inc. NJ Chapter 22 please feel free to check out our website. www.mi22.com
Go to the library section and read  Bearing Muskie-Fruit in the Garden State
Again no disrespect here just clearing up a miscommuincation.
Jeff
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2005, 11:33 PM »
JYoung we have caught both one Tiger was 13 yrs old. so they can still be in there boys. When it freezes hit it hard you will catch Big Fish. Good Luck see you out there.
Mr. Esox,
How do you know that fish was 13 years old?

Methods of age determination involve counting either growth annuli on the opercular bones or the radial striae on the scales. Both these methods rely on linear growth, but unfortunately as a fish approaches maximum size its linear growth slows down and eventually stops. This means that no more circulii will be laid down on scales or opercular bones, or at best they will be so close together that individual rings can easily be missed.

Did you remove the opercular bone or take a scale sample?
As you can see it is still not an accurate way to age a fish.
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:26 AM »
OK guys where is this place? I would love to try and ice a muskie this season. And then let her go of course

MikeThePike

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:35 AM »
Mike is both right and wrong.
The state did stop stocking tigers but yet he is wrong about Muskies Inc not being able to afford stocking Mountain Lake.
Mike no disrespect but I don't believe that you know the history of Muskies Inc. and I dont think you know what goes on in the day to day operation of our club.
I have been an active member of Muskies Inc for 14 years now and we raise more money now than we did 14 years ago and through our hard work that is why there are Muskies here in this state.
We use to buy all the muskies that were brought here in fact the states stocking is directly related to our stocking. The state puts out their nets and uses the fish that we (Muskies Inc) stocked up until around 7 years ago.

Muskies Inc works very hard in conjunction with the state and their stocking efforts. We give them money for bait to raise the fish to a larger size before stocking. We buy them equipment to help them handle the fish with minimal stress. We just bought nets to put over the holding ponds.
So I would say that the reason why we don't buy fish to stock is not because we can't afford to but because we can give the state the same amount of money and get 5 times as many fish to be stocked throughout the state.
If you ever want to read about the history of Muskies Inc. NJ Chapter 22 please feel free to check out our website. www.mi22.com
Go to the library section and read  Bearing Muskie-Fruit in the Garden State
Again no disrespect here just clearing up a miscommuincation.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew you guys had worked very closely with the state in the stocking of muskies but I hadn't realized you were as involved as you are.

-MTP

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:13 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew you guys had worked very closely with the state in the stocking of muskies but I hadn't realized you were as involved as you are.

-MTP
That's cool Mike,
Allot of people don't know that Muskies inc. NJ chapter 22 and Penn/NJ chapter 50 both donate thousands of dollars a year to the state for rearing muskies.
Jeff
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline Icephishnphreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I come from the land of Lizards
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:18 AM »
That is great news but where the heck is this lake?

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Sorry man,
It's a secret!!! ;D
It is in white township and I have never caught a muskie icefishing there.
That is the truth!!
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2005, 12:02 PM »

Go past the Pequest hatchery going west on 46. Make a right on one of those roads and ride around until you find it.

MikeThePike

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Go past the Pequest hatchery going west on 46. Make a right on one of those roads and ride around until you find it.

Its not hard to find

Sorry man,
It's a secret!!! ;D
It is in white township and I have never caught a muskie icefishing there.
That is the truth!!
I've probably put in a whole lot more time and only gotten 1 musky there.

MikeThePike

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:10 AM »
One more thing, you've got plenty of time to find it because with the forecast there won't be any ice for quite some time.

That was yesterday and the ice was maybe 1.5" and melting with quite a bit of the lake open water.

Offline mark mercer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:17 AM »
muskies huh, id rather catch a walleye or something j/k guys i know you muskie guys work harder for your fish than anyone else so i give u cheers for that, i just never really had any luck with them other thanby accident

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:13 PM »
sully

tell jeff to turn off his heat so that lake freezes

jim :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:28 PM »
when u gonna come fishin?  we did pretty good today... jeff ,john, and me were out in pa..we got a good group goin tomorrow.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:41 PM »
Sully -

Joy here - where you guys going tomorrow? Please take him - he misses you !

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:08 PM »
muskies huh, id rather catch a walleye or something j/k guys i know you muskie guys work harder for your fish than anyone else so i give u cheers for that, i just never really had any luck with them other thanby accident

Walleyes are for eating; muskies are for mounting on the wall

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:03 PM »

Walleyes are for eating; muskies are for mounting on the wall
Brilliant reply ???
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:35 PM »
Mountain is more than 3/4 open water. I guess 4" won't be able to mount any fish this year.
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

MikeThePike

« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:09 AM »
Hey Jeff, did you make it out in the boat?

Cold weathers on the way so hopefully it'll freeze up good for the rest of the ice season.

Offline jyoung

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Mike,
 I ended up doing some crap around the house but a couple of guys from the club went out and they said like 90% of the lake is open and they got nada for their efforts.
But hopefully this week is supposed to be in the high 40's and as long as there is no rain I'm going to try to get out there.
Talk to ya, Jeff
newjerseyhunter.com  sux

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.