The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone been to Holiday Harbor lately???  (Read 1058 times)

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
Anyone been to Holiday Harbor lately???
« on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Heading up next week looking for that Monster Pike,was wondering how they are hitting. Thanks

Offline hardwater3006

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone been to Holiday Harbor lately???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:30 PM »
My son and I were up there Monday.  Landed 10 pike, 3 pickerel and some small perch.  The three largest pike were 8,10,12 lbs and he had a ball.  up to 15" of ice close to shore but less than 5" out by the channel.  We were using 6" goldens in about 2 to 4 feet of water is where they were hitting.  Good luck!

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Sounds like a good day Hardwater. Thanks for the info

Offline Bruscus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2012, 05:20 AM »
It's March 2 and we're still holding on to a good ice pack here in the Alburgh Passage.  Open water is appearing under the North Hero Bridge and beginning to run down the center of the Passage but the shorelines are tight and I measured 14" of solid great ice as I moved shantys along the edges of the Bay (Macomb aka Paquette's).  We have some wind and warm weather coming in for a couple of days, then back to cold temps Sat., Sun. and Monday.   Vehicles are still OK for this weekend - quads and sleds after that.  I'm planning on at least one and maybe two more solid weekends of ice fishing up this way.  Shantys usually come off by the middle week of March - I need my tractor for that and I really like my tractor!

Fishing action for pike has moved from the edges of the channel into the bays and especially along the outside edges of weedlines.  One group caught 16 fish on Wed.- a couple nice clean fish in the 12-14# range.  Perch are everywhere and sunnies/gills are moving in again.

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Great report Bruscus.  I may be heading up there next week, thanks for the info!!

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Thanks Bruce see ya next week

Offline walking on water

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Bruce, stopped by to give you a pike for supper must of just missed you,be back on monday!!! PIGPEN

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Any updates for this weekend?

Offline Bruscus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:50 PM »
We're full again this weekend (3/7-12). Guys caught an 8 and 10lb fish as soon as they arrived -  jumped out of the truck and set up right out in front of the boat launch.  Sleds and quads are running up and down the Passage but staying closer to shore because the channel is opening up from the NH bridge south.  I measured 13" of ice on Tuesday while dragging the shantys back home w/ my tractor along the east shoreline and into Macomb aka Paquette's Bay.   Shorelines are still good and tight although this week's temps (both daytime an nightime) will tell the story, along with whatever we get for rain and wind.  Old 10" holes can get a lot bigger real quick - I won't put people out on the ice if I won't go out myself; I do like to fish but I also like to stay dry!  You can check back middle of next week or call (802) 372-4077. 

If the ice continues to stay stable, I will do one last weekend (next), then shut down until open water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.