Author Topic: Best Burbot Lure/Bait  (Read 71272 times)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Best Burbot Lure/Bait
« on: Oct 03, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Ok, I'm done screwing around with baits for these buggers, I go to Eelpout Fest every year in Walker, MN and have yet to catch one. I just want to catch some to eat not to try and win the tournament. Anyone have any tips on the best lures or baits for these guys? Something that isn't $12 for a Northland Airplane jig please? Thanks guys!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
Re: Best Burbot Lure/Bait
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2011, 10:22 PM »
ive personally never caught or seen one but i see alot of people using heavy jigging spoons and a either a small shiner or half of one.just pound it off the bottom alot is all im told.rattle spoons work good from what i hear as well

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Custom Jigs and Spins 5/16 Slender spoon with a Dropper chain Work well for me ! $ 2.89 each !  :thumbsup:

I take sucker fillet strips or whole shiners, put them in a ziplock bag with squirt of anise based fish attractant, WD 40 works also. I put the bag near some sort of heat or sunny widow sill and let em stew for awhile, Burbot are real keen on Dead stuff, they don't have to use energy chasing it ! Normally a couple days will do it, if it is strong enough to knock a buzzard off a Honey wagon, its just right ! :sick: :thumbsup: I started experimenting with the Berkley gulp alive last March too and it is showing a lot of potential ! Fish em Low and Slow, if you can drag em on bottom, they will Slam em ! :icefish:

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:33 AM »
TY SURF!! You're the man!

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Up here they bite on a jig and frozen shinner, usually cath them when fishing for perch or eyes. Got to love the fight they put up with all the twisting and turning. Caught a couple in the 8lb range last year and they fight like hell

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:46 AM »
I think this coming year with us planning on going for a whole week rather than the 4 days like we did this year we will have a better chance at locating them.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:53 AM »
I try to locate clear patches of bottom between rockpiles, All those above came out a small cave under a rock pile !

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Just after sunset with glow in the dark spoons (green). Cleo's or similar type spoons.
Just after sunset seems to be the most active time & minnows also work. A glow in the dark spoon will also draw them into the area of the minnows.

Good Luck: Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2011, 10:29 PM »
You can fish for burbot all winter long, but for the largest concentrations of them try fishing near their spawn time of late Feb. to late March.

They can usually be caught on set lines or jigging with lures you would use for, pike, walleye or perch, on or near the bottom.
A lure that has lots of smell and noise is a good choice for them.

Check out this webpage http://regina.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101209/sask-reg-reel-101209/20110525/?hub=Regina and click on CTV New Video The Burbs, for some more ideas. ;)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:43 AM »
Awesome link Water Wolf, Thanks for posting it !! :thumbsup:

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://myworld.ebay.com/piatu/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:42 PM »
At here we use this kind of lures at prawning time:

No any bait on these.

And:

Piece of fish to singlehook.

Fisherman bounce both of these against bottom quite active....burbots must hear lure. ;)

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Wow,You guys are armed for Bear over there Piatu ! What is the average size of the Burbot over there at Spawning time ??

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Difficult to say...

I myself got usually ~0.5-1,5kg burbots at my places.Biggest one was litte over 4 kilos.We usually fish burbots at nighttime.

Not bigones but pretty nices for fishsoup.

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:27 PM »
We make chowder/soup out of them too, but I lightly fry it and serve it with drawn butter !  :thumbsup:

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:33 PM »
Piatu,
That sinker with the wires hanging out of it.... Is that used to keep it hung on the bottom in river current?  If so, will it pull right out because it is flexible wire?  You're jigs are very interesting too!!!

As for the original question to "what" to use?  We use pretty large glow in the dark twister tail jigs designed for deep sea fishing up here in AK.  Fisherman Jake found that one out eh!  Anyways, I'm one for using extremely fresh bait for burbot and not aged...  They prefer the fresh to stinky hands down up here and we use squid, salmon strips, herring, whitefish, and sucker strips.  I have fished them in Wisconsin at night many times and the same goes there as well.  FRESH BAIT preferably live, (which we cannot use in AK), and a glow in the dark or double glow jig head bounced off bottom with a 4" sucker minnow etc...  Perfect bait!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Piatu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I'm not sure, that i undestand right....

But that wire keep bait and hook little outside from line and line is non flexible.
Burbot fishing is quite rough at here. ::)
Before spawning time is very active they usually eat bait and in spawning these usually are caught by bottomhooks.

fbksmtnman

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011, 01:59 AM »
I agree with Barleydog,  I've found the fresher my bait the better.  Ive caught them with everything he mentioned but found whitefish is the best so if you have any varieties where you live I'd try to aquire some.  Eels work great too just a small cut peice.  But the oiler baits work so much better.  Test it by just tossing a piece in clear shallow water,  if a miny oilslick starts to form around the surface you're on the right track.  Bait size is totaly dependant on the average burbot size, up here I use larger chunks but a one inch square or 1X2 inch chunk works OK on rod and reel.   I've caught 8 inch burbot on the same size piece I've caught 15#ers  so no need to waist bait if you have a limited supply of the goodstuff.  Goodluck

Offline fishdontbish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I've found Northland Buckshot rattle spoons to work well.  (or similar rattle spoons in glow).  I also have had good luck with soft plastics in glow.  In particular last year I started using Exude products (Mr. Twister).  These are artificially enhanced with scent, and they have a variety of good plastics in glow - the burbot seemed to favor it over regular plastics.  I usually tip with chubs, sucker, carp, etc.  Worms actually work well too.

I'm hearing more and more about people using crayfish too.

In my opinion how close your bait / lure is to the bottom is more important than what you are fishing with.  I've heard people do well with large 6-8" plastics... no bait.

Offline byron basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I've had the best luck with a minnow off the bottom under a tip up.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2011, 08:51 PM »
You can fish for burbot all winter long, but for the largest concentrations of them try fishing near their spawn time of late Feb. to late March.

They can usually be caught on set lines or jigging with lures you would use for, pike, walleye or perch, on or near the bottom.
A lure that has lots of smell and noise is a good choice for them.

Check out this webpage http://regina.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101209/sask-reg-reel-101209/20110525/?hub=Regina and click on CTV New Video The Burbs, for some more ideas. ;)

WW

Thanks WW.  I needed that little fix.  Can't wait till our burb fest down at last mountain again.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2011, 04:28 PM »
LOL, no problem jpicks.

I am also eagerly looking forward to the annual burbot spawn at LML. @)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline theburbotking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:50 PM »
I like large softplastics.  8" is the biggest i use.  sometimes i'll tip with a small piece of sucker or carp, chub, whatever. 

these fish are not that picky...

Offline Newkidsonthedock2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:22 AM »
I use Chicken gizzards and liver. Buy Them frozen and leave them out overnight. let them thaw and refreeze them. makes them good and smelly (kinda gross for rigging up), put the liver on first and then a gizzard to hold it on the hook and jig it slow anywhere near bottom. I let my hook slam bottom about every 2-3 minutes . catches lots of burbot.

Good luck.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Ok I havent tried this jig yet... but have ordered a couple to try this winter...developed for Leech Lake eelpout!  I ordered the ones with the rattles as Big Northland buckshot spoons have worked well for Pout for me.    http://www.bignastytackle.com/index.html

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:20 PM »
4" blue glow in the dark tube jig tipped with sucker meat or a chunk of bullhead.
"I throw back the ones I don't eat"

Offline laWy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:53 AM »
I've had good luck with the blue holographic buzz bombs and sucker meat
I hope that after I die my wife doesn't sell my toys for the same price I told her I bought them for

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I've heard lots of guys around here say that unless you want to see mariah down your hole all day the next day you shouldn't clean your fish and toss the guts down the ice. Apparently if you do the mariah come in and feast that evening and usually hang around for quite a while and can be all you hook if you plan to fish the next morning. This has led me to think that if you are trying to catch them (so many people here just kill them cause they think they're a pest and have no plan on keeping them...) you should think about doing something like chumming or tossing down some sort of home made concoction.
I have actually only ever hooked one but would love to get more. All I was doing was ledgering with a weight on the bottom and a salted minnow. This occurred just as the sun had gone down. From what I hear they become very active at night.
Other than this all I can offer up is that as they are a predator just about any sort of jig or lure that smacks the senses should help draw them in.

Offline Gumboots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I think the most important thing is fishing near the bottom.
I use glow jigs with a power bait and a small piece of squid. These guys will eat Anything, I've even found piece's of wood in their stomach's. Best time of year seems to be late
Feb- march just after sundown close to shore. Good Luck!

Offline dukes69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2012, 08:27 PM »
I caught this years tourney fish on a williams wobbler with a little squid on the end.   If you want to have success bounce it off the bottom constantly as you jig,  worked well for me over the years.  I found glow lures work the best I just happened to have something else on that day.  good luck and be sure to post some pics ;D
2012 Burbot 1st place
2015 Burbot 1st place
2016 Lake Trout 1st place
2017 Burbot 3rd place
2018 Lake Trout 3rd place

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Caught mine at Pout Fest on a Northland buckshot minnow 3/4 oz size. Bought some Big Nasty Tackle ones, talk about Big Epic Fail. They wanted nothing to do with the color, it didn't last long, the Northland's outlasted anything I put on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.