Author Topic: Wading Walleye  (Read 4365 times)

megabait28

Wading Walleye
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 01:58 PM »
I've heard of people wading praire creek res. in the early spring for eyes.  Was wondering if anyone here has tried it or had any luck at the res. this early in the year.  Pontoon and bass boat are still in storage so I'm stuck in my waders or on bank.  Thanks for the help

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Re: Wading Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2005, 04:28 PM »
Still just a tad to early yet, but dont count them out.

Offline stonecold16

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Hey Kid how and when do you do that?  Can you use a fly rod ?

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:59 PM »
I wouldnt recommend using a fly rod and the wind is usually a factor into the bite. It has to be blowing in to the shore and you would be fighting it trying to cast.

Offline bestshot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Why would you need to wade out in the water ?.  The walleye will move up shallow enough that you can cast to them. Best to try it after dark. They often move up to 1' or 2' deep.
This time of year, early morning or late evening, cast along the rip rap with a slow retrieve. Small shallow diving crankbaits are the ticket.
Like the Kid said, fish the wind blown shore, bundle up, that wind off the water is very cold.

I was out in the boat 3:00 am easter morning. Used my spot light, seen several glowing eyes right up against the shore line.
I didn't catch anything. I had a bad headache so I only fished one hour, then left.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2005, 08:39 AM »
I was out there till Dark Saturday evening managed 3 hook ups and missed several more. Its the quest of stalking my prey in there own habitat that I like trying to be stealthy enough to get them dudes. I love a challenge of fishing like that and sight fishing is another one of my favorites, but thats a whole different topic.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.