Author Topic: Who's up for Uintas trip in December?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Who's up for Uintas trip in December?
« on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I missed my own party last year and you guys posted some super excellent pictures and posts to show me what I missed.  So, let's give it a go again this year and maybe, just maybe, I'll not be knocked down with a super bad cold this year.

Last year we did it on December 29th (a Friday).  Likely date would be one of these three - Thursday (27), Friday (28), or Saturday (29).  Since this is a major holiday break for most folks, there will be lots of folks out snowmobiling on any of those days, but Saturday will probably be the worst.  I'd like Thursday, but being retired, any of them will work for me.

As with last year, we'll meet for breakfast at The Cutting Board in Kamas.  They open at 7 AM.  That should put us at the SR150 Trail Head lot between 8:00 and 8:30 AM.  There are several lakes we can hit and we can decide which one later.

So who's in and which date do you prefer?
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Who's up for Uintas trip in December?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I'm in and fine with any of the dates listed as I will more than likely be off that week. I hope the lakes up there are fairing better than the other side of the mountain. I have been talking with some friends that are hunting up towards Whitney and he says its way, way low and has never seen it like that before. He said he would be surprised to see anything make it through this winter up there which is crazy, but thats what happens when you have a bad winter followed by vertually no rain all summer
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I WISH!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Hey Bob put me down as a definite maybe.... I'd like to, not sure what will be going on then and it's a busy time for family stuff... If I can, I'd like to join in... Jeff

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I'm in! Any of those days are fine with me. Though I, too, think Thurs may be best for crowd avoidance. But, whatever day works best for the group is fine.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Well I will more than likely be interested on going it just depends on the day.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Can it be much longer?  Bold Mountain Pass this AM.

Temps forecast is low 30's for the high and high teens and low 20s for the low.

So are you in yet?   :thumbsup:

Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I like the way that cam looks
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Big Earl and I are heading up tomorrow morning.  Not sure which lake we'll hit, but will look at/consider Trial, Moosehorn, and Mirror.  Should be 5 or more inches of ice by now with the temps being well below freezing (single digits even) this past week.  I'll post a report later this weekend.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Definitely let us know how the ice is and the road conditions. Son and I are likely headed up Sat morning early and likely start at Trial and then go from there.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:27 AM »
Good luck to you Bob!

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2018, 02:08 PM »
I was up there on Monday and it was -8 when we pulled up to mirror lake, didnt fish there as we had hit it 6 times already in the last two weeks but stopped to take a pic of the lake (buddy is a photographer) we went to a farther lake and same thing there -8 and there was 4.5 to 5 inches on most of the lake. Im guessing there is at least 6 inches on mirror because sunday we fished with 4 inches on it.

I hope you guys do some good and have a blast. I will say the lake i fished we ran out of wax worms in an hour and a half (50 count of waxies) we used just VMC tungsten Ice Flies in green and jigged those and the bite got more aggressive and more often than with bait on. We fished from 8am to 1:30pm and caught 100+ fish between two guys. Best producing size and numbers ive ever had up in the Uintas.

https://www.facebook.com/spencer.dom

this is to my facebook not sure it will work but i put a post on there with some pics

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2018, 08:55 PM »
We got a very late start leaving Ogden due to a dead battery in my truck.  Walmart helped us out with a replacement.   ;D

Got to Trial about 9:30.  Unbelievably low and we didn't even check the ice.  Went over to Moosehorn and found sled tracks and a SOLID 6" of the good ice covered with maybe 2 inches of snow - not recent.  Fished it for an hour and caught 1 fish each.  Went to Mirror about Noon and stayed until 3:30.  Some very friendly jays kept us company looking for hand-outs.  I fished first in 11 fow and caught 3 or 4 and then moved out to 15 fow.  I caught 3 the first 10 minutes there; then it slowed down.  Finished the day with about 4 more and that was it.  I has using several different jigs and ice baits and tipped all of them with a piece of night crawler.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous with temps just above freezing and the sky was severe clear.  The breeze came and went several times but nothing major.  Got checked by a CO and he said that some guys were at Lily the day before and caught over 60 fish.

The ice is good at 6" plus on all the lakes up top.  The roads are 100% clear and open.  The road down to Mirror was completely snow packed on the bottom half but 2-wheel drive cars were coming and going all day.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Glade you guys had a great day

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2018, 09:42 AM »
I have absolutely no clue about adding pictures.  I can find no reference to doing this and clicking "add image to post" lets me select an image to upload, but doesn't tell me where it is uploaded to or how I can add it to my post.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Thanks Bob for the intell. Glad you had a fun and safe trip.
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2018, 03:57 PM »
I couldn't figure out the IS "Add image to post", but I did figure out I could just use my IMGUR account and usu the BBC codes from there.  Here are the pictures.

This is what Trial Lake looked like yesterday morning:

Moosehorn one and only fish:

A couple of fish from Mirror:

Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Nice job. Good healthy fish right there.

Offline ifnoiceImnotfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Nice first fish!!  looks like some good start on ice too.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Okay folks; its time to get serious now that the Henry's Extravaganza is over with.   ;D

Its time to get serious about a Uinta trip just after Christmas.  There didn't seem to be a lot preference for any day mentioned, so lets just plan on doing this on Friday, December 28th.  We'll meet in Kamas at 7 AM for breakfast.  We can decide on which lake we want to target that morning at breakfast.  There are several lakes available near Bald Mountain that are all within a mile of each other.  There's Washington, Trial, Lilly, Lost, Moosehorn, and Mirror.  I don't think Trial is viable due to the extremely low water level we saw there in November.

Again, I think that because of the distance by snowmobile, we should have at least 5 machines to preclude any major difficulties with breakdowns.  So with that in mind, who (besides me) is in?

List:
1.  Bob Hicks (dubob)
2.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Bob,
   I moved to Arizona and sold my snowmobiles, but will be in Utah for the holidays and should have a snowmobile by tha Friday.  I’ll confirm as it gets closer but I am interested.
Still learning...

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Bob,
   I moved to Arizona and sold my snowmobiles, but will be in Utah for the holidays and should have a snowmobile by tha Friday.  I’ll confirm as it gets closer but I am interested.
Thanks.  Hope it works out for you to come join us.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.