Author Topic: Sled or ATV  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sled or ATV
« on: Jul 13, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I'm thinking about selling my snowmobile to buy an ATV for ice fishing. I am moving to Minnesota in a year and I have one last ice season left in Michigan. I have been using my snowmobile the past two years for ice fishing, but when I move I dont think I will have the room for it, the snowmobile trailer etc.... If anyone could chip in their opinion and offer pros/cons and what I would need out of an ATV for ice fishing (such as 4X4 a must? What cc is enough etc...) and experience/brands I would be greatful.

Right now I have a 1997 Arctic Cat Z440 in pretty good shape for the year. I have neglected to do much trail riding the last few years and I can honestly say the only time it was used last season was for two trail rides under 30 miles, and a few ice fishing trips as we have been using another snowmobile for ice fishing. So it has pretty much sat all of last year. I like the idea of an ATV because I can use it year round, and I am not much into snowmobiling anymore, I would rather spend my weekends on the ice  :tipup:

My budget will probably be around $2500, I am planning on selling this sled and getting at least $800 out of it, and then the rest I will be supplying

Here is a pic of my sled, because everyone loves pictures...
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sled or ATV
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:56 PM »
While we do get a mild winter here every so often, I would probably stick with the sled if I were you. That is just my personal opinion though. You could definately get by with a heavy duty ATV. Its just that during those heavy snowfall type winters here you are gonna be wishing you hung on to that sled you got there. I do not own either, just have my truck to get me out there. But there were a couple times last year when no raods were plowed at all after a heavy snow and I couldnt get out on the ice at all.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:50 PM »
Actually I have another snowmobile, its my fiance's that we could use for those really snowy days/winters. I just wanted something that I could use year round including ice fishing. I drive over an hour to go fishing and in one direction there is so much snow a snowmobile barely will make it through, and the other way its all ice, no snow and I have a hard time getting on the ice from the launch due to lack of snow conditions. I guess I should also say I am moving to St. Cloud, not really sure what the snow conditions are like out there. Michigan varys greatly depending on where you are located and lake effect conditions.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2011, 09:51 PM »
I opted for a snowmobile...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2011, 06:57 AM »
I had to run the sled last year with all the snow and slush we had, the year before it was just the opposite, Glare ice ! I do love the ATV for working around the property and saving my back by dragging Bambi for me and clearing the driveway  ! :thumbsup:  Both machines have their place on the ice for me !

The only tough part is waitin for the ice !  :'( :roflmao:

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2011, 05:51 PM »
i use a lifted golfcart works great

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:06 PM »
 ;D Love the waiting on the ice pic. I think I have seen it in another thread.

Both have their merits thats very true. Since I have moved to the UP I walked, had a sled/atv and last year only snowmobiles. My 2nd year there was signficant snowfall but the ATV always made it on/off the ice, whereas last year we were so low on snow we couldnt use the snowmobile hardly. I think we ran it on more dirt than snow.  I think I am going to opt to buy an ATV as I could use it for deer huntin, duck and goose hunting, and general yard work. More well rounded vehicle. I will miss snowmobiling but these days I am too poor and/or gas is too high. Ahh well theres always a snowmobile for sale eh?

But back to topic what do I need out of an ATV? Surflizzard, I see you have a Polaris Sportsman no? I have a softspot for them. I have seen a bunch around me going from $1500-$2500 in 500's and 400 4X4's. And downstate I have seen the same year range and condition go for $2500-$3500. I am not sure what size ATV will cut it on the ice. I have used my father in laws Kawasaki Prarie 700 but I am not sure if that was needed or a little overkill. I see lots of 500's out there as well. Is a 400 4X4 enough?

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:27 PM »
You won't regret it Ryderr, I sold my Polaris Indy 3 years ago, No snow ! Last year we got buried here, too much for the Wheeler, kept bottoming out and hanging up ! Had to buy another sled !  :%$#!: The Xplorer 400 I have has more than enough power for me, I run V-bar chains on the back when it the ice is bare. With the 2 man Frabill and the Medium Otter sled and all the gear, I thinks it close to 300,350 lbs I'm pulling and with LLT on the back we pretty much go where ever we want, with in reason ! I pull out 2 big Permy's for my friends with no problem, so I have no complaints ! The best part is I got it for 1000 bucks cash with the plow and the rear trunk, No payments ! :thumbsup: There are deals out there, I looked for 4 months before I found this one up in Northern Maine, Good excuse for a road trip !  :roflmao:

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Thats certainly a steal. I am going to wait it out some but I really need to sell my sled first. I'm hopin the prices will come down in the fall/winter but we'll see.  ::) How much snow do you estimate you can take on? Or rather what days are you like no way am I bringing the ATV.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2011, 08:02 PM »
i use a lifted golfcart works great

Hey dont bash it. My great grandmother used to ice fish out of her golf cart all the time. You should of seen her...auger mount and everything. She quit fishing after she got her last DUI on the ice.  ::) ;D

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2011, 06:23 AM »
The snow isn't really a problem, I've run the wheeler thru 16,17 inches of snow, It's the overflow of water on the ice under the snow when the weight of the snow forces the water up. It creates the slush pockets and then the wheeler breaks thru and the frame hangs up !  :'( I google searched used ATVs for sale in the northeast and it gave me literally hundreds of wheelers for sale to pick thru !  :thumbsup:

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the info thats good to hear.  ;D

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2011, 12:35 AM »
I suppose you could always get the tracks for your ATV if you wanted to do that. But I think it would be cheaper for you to hang on to one of your sleds and get an ATV and have both. Just an idea for you to think about though. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2011, 07:38 AM »

having both is really the way to go last year without a sled ,atv's were parked for 20 days to much snow and slush ,, but most years a wheeler will get by ,I prefere to run my sled , and it also depends how often you can go, here i get about 12 weeks in and go almost every day ,it's one of those things darned if do darned if you don't , if you go for the wheeler tire chains are a great tool , just an ol buzzards .02

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:10 AM »
Sleds and atv's both have pro's and con's but at least the ATV is'nt a seasonal machine.....This is what I have and it works for me..

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:56 AM »
That is one Seriously heavy duty Hitch right there SD, got any close up shots of it ?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:19 AM »
This gets brought up each yr, as mentioned above both have an important role.  If you have to pick one, it depends on your location, weather, average ice conditions, size of lake, & your habits.   As FR mentioned above, guys with wheelers only, were stranded for almost a month or walking/bumming rides this past winter here.  As far as size of wheeler, again the depends on all of the above, & your equipment.  Every yr I watch 400's struggle badly when pulling heavy flips in snow.  The wheelers rut it up pretty good, the flip often tips into a rut, the front then acts like a snowplow, forcing the guy to get off and clear the snow.  So if you often have 2 people with lots of gear in snow, then a bigger machine is ness, if you have a light rig, then not so much.  It's a question that's answered differently by everyone.

Offline Pikemaster1500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jul 20, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Hay Ryderr
if you want to sell it how much? and when your passing through WI to get to Minnasota u could drop it off lol ;D

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Heres my experiences. I have had both. I only use a sled now.

Sled all the way if you don't want to get stuck or limit your days on the ice. But you NEED studs and if you have a big hut, get a big sled 800cc++

Atv is just "ok" but you NEED a powerful one 500cc ++ 800cc is better, with good/huge paddles and or chains for treads. but you will still have limited days on ice due to sluch and deep snow. My polaris got stuck all the time, and really pissed me off. (it was a 450cc)

Sleds are SAFER and can travel on water, if need be........ atv-- can't, your dead.

Sleds are much funner, but ATV's can be drove in summer fall etc.....I have no use for a atv, as I dont go to "the hunt camp" nore can I ride it around my home.

So, a sled is the logical, fast, safe, fun way to go.

An atv will work, but I go sick of being stuck and never knowing if I was going to be able to pull sled in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.