Author Topic: 3 wheeler  (Read 7966 times)

Offline kchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chopper, the minnow eater
3 wheeler
« on: Aug 05, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Any one use a 3 wheeler on the ice to haul there gear?  How does it work out for you?

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
Re: 3 wheeler
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Any one use a 3 wheeler on the ice to haul there gear?  How does it work out for you?
I see them out on the ice all the time and the guys seem to love um that use um.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2009, 10:19 PM »
They suck in snow. I have had my fair share of 3 wheelers, and all of them were helpless in snow. If it was a necessity, I would recommend using the narrowest tractor style drive tires you can find and a pizza cutter steer.

If you are looking for a machine for ice fishing, a 3 wheeler is far from ideal unless you have no snow.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2009, 05:18 AM »
I'm with Skipper  -  3-wheelers SUCK in the snow.  They just won't do the job.  I've tried chains and tires, no help in snow.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2009, 06:38 AM »
Have to let my neighbor know about that snow thing.We started working on an old 1985 110 Honda for him to ride on the ice this year the other day......

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2009, 07:15 AM »
I agree that they don't go too good in snow, But I use to use a Honda 70 with screws in the tires. It sure beat walking! I found that through the years the snow was not as deep on the lake as it was in my driveway. The light weight three wheeler could get stuck but I could lift it out and just keep going.

Now I use a 125 four wheeler.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline kchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Chopper, the minnow eater
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have a Honda 200 3 wheeler that I bought for $90 and thought it would be nice to use on the ice.  Maybe I'll give it try without the snow.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2009, 10:13 PM »
I had a Honda 200 big red for years. It was a bullet proof machine that was TONS of fun to ride. The problem with winter riding was the mostly the tires. The rears were 12'' wide floats and they just climbed up on the snow and spun. The solid rear axle was great for mud, but would not let you steer on ice or snow. My theory on ATVs and ice fishing is this; Bring a snow shovel and stop before you need it. Remember that ice is always level and you can ride out in your own tracks. The worst case you will have to deal with is digging the machine out of a drift and getting it turned around and back in its own trail.

Offline captain walleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:47 PM »
I am going to look at the 200 Big Red on Saturday, I have a wheel house and a 4 wheeler will not fit in it due to the trailer wheel in the floor sticking up. I need transportation on the ice, should I just stay away from this bike or get different tires with screws in them ?

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I used to see a honda 200 on the ice by me all the time. The guy had chains on the back and a sled attached somehow under the front tire.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:21 PM »
I studied mine up after I tried to get going on flat ice. On snow no real need for studs this year first snow in go the studs.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2010, 03:32 PM »
i had a big red and used it on the ice with up to 1-2' of snow, no studs or chains, just my fat arse. great machine

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:22 AM »
I used mine with and without the studs. I could make it work, but the thing would not pull enough stuff for me on the bare ice. I also had problem turning without some studs or screws.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline captain walleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:37 PM »
I got the big red. I ordered new back tires and screws, I am looking to see if I can attach a sled on the front tire or a ski. Thanks for all the info, I will let you know how it works.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:23 AM »
i have a yamaha 225 dx.  it stays at my parents all winter long on the lake to use for fishing.  last year until it got real slushy i used it.  worked pretty good even in some snow.  i wouldnt pull a huge shanty with it or nothing like that but it did the job for me last winter.

Offline runswithdeer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:41 AM »
I still have an old ATC 175, it's seen a lot of time on the ice.  It has long been retired, but still get it out once in awhile in the summer.

I studded the tires, and was fine with up to 4-6 inches of snow.

I agree, in deep snow they are no good.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.