Author Topic: '96 Polaris XPlorer 400  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
'96 Polaris XPlorer 400
« on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this quad? I am looking at buying one and the oil injection on the 2 stroke engine is making me a little nervious..... not sure why exactly.... 'cuz my boat is the exact same set-up. This would just be my 1st quad and I am a little nervious I guess. It only has 522 miles. Thanks for the input!!

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: '96 Polaris XPlorer 400
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Good machine. I have a 94' no issues. Engine runs like a top. Grease it, oil the chains, and change the 10cc of counter balancer oil every fall and your good to go. Slap some chains on the back and it will pull. remember to use low when pulling. Easier on the belt and clutches.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:02 AM »
OK... like I said... this would be my 1st quad.... what is counter balancer oil and what type (weight) of oil is it??

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Oh, and are there good quality "repair / mantainence" manuals out there? I am a handy guy and enjoy working on my own equiptment..... I love my Hayne's repair manual for all my vehicles.... kinda would like something similar for the quad....

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Looks like Haynes makes a repair manual for that bike, you should be able to buy or order one from your local Polaris dealership, or online. I wouldn't worry about the oil injection, odds are its very similar (if not identical) to the oil injection systems they've been using successfully on their snowmobiles for years. Good Luck!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2010, 04:58 PM »
The counter balancer oil is 10w30. There is a small dip stick between the tranny and air box. The drain is found after you remove the skid plate. There are 3 drains, recoil, crankcase and balancer.  You should be able to get a polaris atv repair manual also from your dealer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.