Author Topic: Respooling twisted line  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Respooling twisted line
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:27 PM »
So the whole spool was put on wrong - the entire thing is twisted - The term "mono-slinky" comes to mind.  I opened the bail with no load (spinning reel obviously) on it and got a mini birds nest...

Is there a prescribed method for removing the line and replacing the line in an untwisted fashion?

Thanks All
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Respooling twisted line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:54 PM »
If it was summer, you could always drag it behind a boat or go to a river or stream and strip it off down current. But, it's winter. You could always go outside and have someone pull the line off and then reel it back on between your fingers. Or you could try stripping it off into a sink of water and then reel it back on. If that doesn't work, then I'd strip it off and put on new line.

Good luck!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:09 PM »
That will also happen if you over-spool your reel or use stiffer line than what your reel can hold.

Maxima Green (for summer) is very stiff and does the same thing in #10 and higher for any of my spinning reels no matter how much, or little, I put on. Not bad for casting reels but spinning...forget about it. Maxima Chameleon works much better for my spinning reels.

If it were me, I'd just re-spool the reel with fresh line and try better to remeber how it's done (been there, done that a bunch). Counter clockwise off the fresh spool, clockwise onto your spinning reel.

What line and # are you using? Reel?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:36 PM »
clock-counterclock:  First time I've heard of that.

Just did it the other day, about 170 yards of 8lb.  Shimano Sienna 2500FD reel, Trilene XT 8lb

I'll explain how the line got on:

I use a nut/bolt/spring assembly to put tension on the line - minimal so as not to stretch or stress the drag on the reel.  I hold the spool in a bench vice.  It's worked well in the past.

The other night I threaded the rod through the guides and the line was pulled off the spool from the underside - from the left side the spool spun counter clockwise - from the right, clockwise and the line was still pulling from underneath.

I have the ability to strip the reel easily, just wondering if there is an advantage.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:55 PM »
clock-counterclock:  First time I've heard of that.

Really?

Mind blown...

<°)))>{

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:38 PM »
Please explain it to a 4 year old - I might have to do the same soon.
Thanks.

Really?

Mind blown...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:51 PM »
Please explain it to a 4 year old - I might have to do the same soon.
Thanks.

Clockwise...

Just like a compass reads...

Never Eat Sour Watermelon..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:57 PM »
You could take the spool off and use it to re-spool another reel backwards to untwist it, then do it again right for the spool it's on..

<°)))>{

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:15 PM »
ended up pissing away all the line spooled - that was fun.

Given the weather I'll have until next year to worry about it.

Thanks to all that replied.

Cheers!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Clockwise...

Just like a compass reads...

Never Eat Sour Watermelon..

<°)))>{

To clarify: I never heard the counter off the spool - clock onto the reel - wish I heard that back in my teens, woulda made for a lot of better trips.  I was born at night (I was there but don't recall exactly what happened) but not last night.

No offense taken and I've never seen a sour watermelon

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:51 PM »
I thought you never heard of the term "clockwise"...

It's coming soon, that some young adults will not have heard that term, and not know how to read a regular clock...

Sorry, carry on...

<°)))>{

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:18 AM »
I gave up on monofilament and use either fireline or a new one I really like is called nanofil by Berkley.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Ok, I'm telling ya once... If you spool your line and memory makes it jump off as soon as you open the ball. Boil up a cup of water, take the spool off the reel and drop it in until the water is cold. You just changed the lines memory.   ;D

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I thought you never heard of the term "clockwise"...

It's coming soon, that some young adults will not have heard that term, and not know how to read a regular clock...

Sorry, carry on...

<°)))>{

What, and give up my digital watch or stop using my cell phone as a pocket watch?

You want to have a laugh?  Ask kids how to tell time with an analog watch/clock and see what they say when you get to terms like "half past..." or "quarter to..." and record their answers and expressions.  ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Ok, I'm telling ya once... If you spool your line and memory makes it jump off as soon as you open the ball. Boil up a cup of water, take the spool off the reel and drop it in until the water is cold. You just changed the lines memory.   ;D

I use hot water every time..

Let's you get that line to the very edge, way further casts..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:17 PM »
What, and give up my digital watch or stop using my cell phone as a pocket watch?

You want to have a laugh?  Ask kids how to tell time with an analog watch/clock and see what they say when you get to terms like "half past..." or "quarter to..." and record their answers and expressions.  ;D

Both hands pointing north..

I was on the phone with a store I've never been to.. I asked how late they were open.. 8:00.. okay, are you guys on the east or west side of the road..

It depends on which way you're coming from...

Lol

<°)))>{

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Just buy Sufix next time!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Going with the tangent conversation...

I live in MN and someone once asked me which direction is West on 94.  I said, "West, double-u for Wisconsin.  Remember that."

Only afterwards did I realize...I ain't in Michigan.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:01 PM »
 X2 with grumpy old dude saw the same thing on a tip from bill dance it changes the memory of the line. Though he did use hot water not sure if it has to boil

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Always use the hot water trick, lets you get more line on for better casts in the soft water too..

But that helps it seat well, I don't think it could untwist line..

<°)))>{

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:32 PM »
I don't know what you consider your time worth. But new mono for an ice reel is $5 or less. Tell yourself you're worth the new line.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:29 PM »
I was wondering if you have to remove the drag washers when you soak the spool in hot water?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:45 PM »
I was wondering if you have to remove the drag washers when you soak the spool in hot water?

I never have, I figured, clean water, on a reel made to be around water....

Some might?

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.