New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont bay and 3 mile  (Read 15220 times)

Offline Canam800

• IceShanty Rookie
Chaumont bay and 3 mile
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Has anyone been to either of these places.  Would like to find out how the ice and bite is. I have a two hour drive so I want to make sure things are good before a make a trip. Thanks in advance.

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chaumont bay and 3 mile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Ice is good. 10+" as of last Thursday
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline Canam800

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Anyone know how the bite has been?

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:34 AM »
It was really slow saturday the 28th. Alot of dinks

Offline jennsater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:49 AM »
fished chaumont yeaterday 12/30 pretty slow for me ended up with thirty...only a handful over nine my bud set up two hundered yrds away and him and his kid ended up with sixty seven over nine...no other species...ice was great had wheeler everywhere...small schools of fish every now and then no snow on ice bring creepers...12 inches where i was mostly black...

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:50 AM »
X2
boggey how many times do I need to offer you enrollment into cuse school of ice fishing. We are an accredited ice fish academy that strive to teach the average fisherman how to limit out with slobs.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:54 PM »
The fishing was okay for me Saturday and Sunday at Johnsons. Fished 17 fow, left with approx 50 8" and up each day. small black n silver jiggin rap aggressively jigged worked well, they seemed to jump on it on the way down. My buddies were using minnows, the bite was a bit slow for them, though they took home some decent ones too.

Offline mwjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Hey was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to park and get
bait up there thanks

Offline jiggincrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:19 AM »
Hey was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place to park and get
bait up there thanks

Click on the Chaumont hardware sponsor page at the top of the forum. These guys have all of the bait and great info you will need, plus fishing and ice reports. They have topo maps that show parking areas up that way. I have been up there a couple times and these guys were super helpful putting us on fish.

Offline SlimPickins1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:07 AM »
How far is it from state boat launch to Johnson shoals? I can bring my four wheeler if I have to but I don't have chains. Will that work?

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:20 AM »
State Boat Launch to Johnsons is about 2 miles,,,, as of yesterday no need for chains, snow on ice has blown into low drifts, 3 inch max debth of drifts.  debth of ice on Chamont Bay is 12 inches plus all over.  exception lake side of Cherry Island.

Offline mwjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Thanks for the info on bait and stuff

luv2fish2

« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:51 PM »
so i'm coming up friday debating on going off the launch or long point . long point seems to get you deeper quicker lot's of structure anyone wanna give me a clue, gonna  bring the misses  hoping to make it worth the trip sure would appreciate any advice anyone can give thanks in advance

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:01 PM »
If you have a machine go out of the launch by chaumont. Its a 10+ mile drive one way to get out to LP but only a couple on the ice in a straight line. Its closer to the better fishing anyhow.

Offline IRON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Fished long pt for 5 days straight the week of Christmas, my slowest day was about 25lbs. if you have a wheeler or sled id park in Chaumont, like fish said, its a hike going all the way around to the point.

luv2fish2

« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:50 PM »
thanks any advice on bait

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I park at Long Point State Park,,  then just a  walk out on the ice to my spot,,,no wheeler here.  I did 25 Lbs yesterday the 5th,,,weather today and tomorrow makes fishing suck,  oh well

Offline IRON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I have to use the boot lace express too joe don't feel bad!

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Not looking for spots just an idea of distance. Buddy and I thinking about hitting it for the first time Saturday and are both walkers. Just wondering how far of a walk we will have to get on some perch. PM if you want.
I thank God for everything in my life. But I especially thank God for ice.

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Oh Ok Rob,,,,, not a problem,,,, at Long Point,,,, its a short walk to the perch,  with an occasional pike thrown in for good measure,,,,,,,probably a couple hundred yards,,, I normally fish a little further off shore. 

Offline D_wood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:06 PM »
well the ice is good enough to hold my truck :)

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Laughing,,,, so it is D......

luv2fish2

« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:31 AM »
any reports on how much snow your getting looks like lake effect went south of chaumont thinking this wind should keep it blowed pretty clean ( i hope )

Offline D_wood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Weather man said 80 inches of snow, but there is a wicked wind blowing so its mostly drifting anound

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Check Greg's report from Chaumont Hardware.   The wind is just a honking!  Snow blowing around so much its hard to tell if it is snowing or just blowing.  there are real visibility issues today.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Not looking for spots just an idea of distance. Buddy and I thinking about hitting it for the first time Saturday and are both walkers. Just wondering how far of a walk we will have to get on some perch. PM if you want.

LP is a good option for walkers, as is 3mile.  there is a spot to park there if you stop and ask the landowner.  he is a fisherman as well and will give anyone permission, just don't abuse it.

another thought is to hit the boat launch first thing in the morning and try to catch a tow out from someone with a machine. give a few bucks for gas will often get you a ride.  If I've got the room I often help someone else on or off who is walking.

hands down your best bet for bait and info is chaumont hardware, greg usually has the latest info on the bite as well.

Offline travis.kling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I was up on chaumont a few days ago and did pretty good. I was trying to get to long point via chaumont bay but noticed a pressure crack. Does anybody know if it is possible to get a wheeler from chaumont bay to long point right now or do I have to use the highway and go around.

Offline PERCHIN101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No Fish is Safe
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Best bet is to use highway.  Currents get funny on long point side if your not familiar with the bay.  I've watched wheelers go for a swim while trucks were out there.  You never know
I can smell a perch a mile away...

Offline travis.kling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Yeah that's what we were planning on so far. We drilled a hole about 60 yards from the crack on the Chaumot side and still had 16" of ice. My buddy lives on point peninsula and that's where our shanty is so its an easy trip for us to take it to long point but it would be handy to be able to go straight across if there was a for sure safe route.

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Yea,,, that pressure crack is tricky.  Couple of years back, a guy almost lost his sled, he got a tow line on the sled before it went down.  Some people will tell you that they jump the crack,,, I would rather be safe than real sorry!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.