Author Topic: Spot For Treble Hook  (Read 4266 times)

CR

Spot For Treble Hook
« on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:39 AM »
Does anyone have a idea how to hook the treble hook on the spool of a tipup,without sticking it in the line on the spool when finished fishing?Tried felt came off,tried silicone ripped,any ideas? Thanks CR

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Spot For Treble Hook
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:58 AM »
Good question  ;D I have tried putting a rubber band on the spool when I have it wound almost up and then hook the treble in the rubber band. That helps a bit but it would be nice if tip ups had a hook keeper of some kind on them. Hopefully somebody has some other ides for this problem.....

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 10:00 AM »
ideas that is.... never could spell too good ;D

acsacmboy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:14 PM »
read somewhere on here put them in a old film canister. just cut a slot for the line, out it in, and throw a rubberband on the spool.

acsacmboy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:14 PM »
i meant throw them in. woops. ::) :P ; :D

perchfisher90

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Well, i just tie a swivel to the line. I don't really bother using leaders because the line is very hard to knick or cut. When i am done, i just take the treble off the swivle and put a rubber band on the spool so that the swivil is underneath the band (so there is no loose swivils getting caught on things) and then when I go back to fish i just put my treble back on.
Hope this helps :)

bdperch

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Have tried many different things but the best is to put a small brad(nail) into the tip up. Hook the hook on it the wind tight. This works great on my beaver dams, don't know about the other styles.

JohnP

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2004, 01:34 PM »
I use the polars and what I did was glue a small strip of cork onto the legs of the trap. I stick the hook in there. Still can tangle with the other tip-ups if you have a treble on but keeps it from sticking into the ice line.
JohnP

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2004, 10:05 PM »
drill a small hole in the end of a Beaver Dam and glue some cork in it.  Also heard of people screwing a small eye bolt onto the tipup and hooking the treble hook to that.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Hman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2004, 11:36 PM »
Take a couple of zip-ties and place them around the tip-up. that wy you can slide the hook tight after you place the flag in the slot.
Hman

bomshack

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:30 PM »
When I wind up the spool of my beaver dam I hook the thimble on the spool. When the tip up is folded up I continue to take up the last slack and put the flag wire in the available hole of the spool to hold tension. At this time the thimble is held tight to the wooden edge of the tip up. I hope this is understandable!
  Then what works really cool is to modify a "Hi-Tech" tip up case to hold my 6 tip ups. Which neatly rolls them together for storage.

;D ;D ;D

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2004, 12:23 AM »
Look at the thread "Keeping Treble Hooks Out Of Everything" This works extremely well for me.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:23 PM »
I tried zip ties a couple years ago and they didn't work well for me.  I had better luck using rubber bands.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:18 PM »
For treble hooks order the plastic hook protectors from bass pro shops or cabelas they cover all of the hook and with an elastic band stay on the spool. Also protects you from getting tangles amongst traps and keeps hooks from sticking you. ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2004, 08:16 PM »
I used a hot glue gun and glued a hearing protection ear plug ( like you would use in a noisy work place ) to my tip-up  and push the hook into that. It works pretty good. ;)

PIKEGUY

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2004, 12:49 PM »
The "HT" Tipups have a grat piece of material on the spool that holds a treble hook EVERY Time. They are also one of the best for not getting false flags & never fail to pop up when a fish is on(Like the frabill does)

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2004, 01:01 PM »
After fishing past dark the other day ahd the temp and wind were not to my liking I had put the tipups back in my box with out being able to see to well. A few days later I went out again and had a real mess. Infact I had to use my backup set. Well that nite I got on this thread and read all the ideas I could find.  At that point I found some wine bottle corks (great excuse to drink)cut them in half and glued them to my wooden cross tipups. (When you do this make sure you find what side will not affect the folding, flag and spool.) Used my wife's waterproof craft glue. since then It has helped cut down time on setup and teardown. The big thing is I can now do it with my gloves on!  

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
Re: Spot For Treble Hook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2004, 01:32 PM »
Good wide elastic bands, like the kind they use on lobster claws.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.