Author Topic: First tip up's  (Read 1485 times)

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First tip up's
« on: Jan 27, 2005, 12:59 PM »
I've used tip-up's in the past, but I currently don't own any.  I would like to purchase a couple for Walleye and Perch.  From reading here I'm kind of leaning towards the Beaver Damn's, but I just seen the Frabill Classic Tip-up's on sale for $5.00 each.  Should I hold off and buy the Beaver Damns, or pick up the Frabill's before they sell out?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
Re: First tip up's
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2005, 01:08 PM »
IF YOU ARE LIKE MOST OF THE REST OF ICE FISHERMAN, WHY WAIT BUY BOTH!
willing to learn new tactics

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:11 PM »
My order of preferance would be heritage lakers,  you can't beat em' visability,  drag,  durabilty
next would be a jack trap(way over priced)
then a Moosehead
then a polar, or frabil

if you have to buy a couple to start out on then do it that way,  buy the best,  you'll wish that you had if you don't.  I've bought 2 heritage lakers every yr for the past 8yrs,  even was able to get six one yr on clearance at $2 a piece,  I'll tell you what WAL-MART never saw it coming.  "hey these don't have a price on them they're in the clearance bin,  will you take $2 a piece for em?"  sure will I put those in there this morning the lady said.   

The 2 heritage lakers this yr will set me back $60, thats line, leader, hooks, traps

you can get by with cheaper traps but they just don't perform like a heritage. 

just my 2 cents

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:19 PM »
I have a set of tip- ups that are the classic type that have the one piece of wood that is sticking up with the two acres the bottom that i got for X-mas not sure of brand but their green and work good i think wal-mart usually has them in stock and their a fairly good deal for what you getting, if you don't mind spending money get the Heritage laker's their extremely reliable but they cost 18 to 20 bucks a piece.

P.S don't buy pre-lined tip-ups, my friend bought some and when i rigged them i noticed that the line was coming of the spool the wrong way and when stripped them down the other end was note tied on just as easy to buy the line separate and put it on your self :tipup:

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.