Author Topic: Dacron or Braid???  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
Dacron or Braid???
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:26 AM »
I just got 5 new Polar Arctic Fire tip-ups for Christmas ;D.  Well, they don't come with line so I was wondering what you guys use.  My standard wooden tip-ups had the Dacron line that worked well enough, but did tend to freeze and hold the ice.  The packaging on the tip-ups says to use "27 to 45 lb test braid or ice fishing line".  Recommendations ?????
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
Re: Dacron or Braid???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:34 AM »
U.S. Line, Premium grade braided nylon specially treated not to stiffen, kink or break in cold water,Holds No Memory

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:11 PM »
HT vinyl coated tip up line. Will not freeze under any conditions. Braid can cut the heck out of you if a fish makes a strong run. I wouldn't use anything but the HT vinyl coated tip up line.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2004, 05:08 PM »
i have used 25 -35 # dacron foy many years without any troubles or complaints.i always bring my traps in to dry overnight.this prevents frozen spools the next morning

dwayne

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I use dacron fly line backing.  I like it because it is fluorescent colored, easy to see which way the walleye are headed during the low light conditions.  Does freeze up but I bring my tip ups in the house every night after fishing and dry them up.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Anything's good, as long as it's Tough Line XP.  Whatever lb test is up to you.  I like it cuz it doesn't stretch at all like the dacron.  When you have a 15-25 lb fish take out 130 yards of line, you need something that's not gonna stretch so you can get a nice, positive hookset.  If you're not careful, it can cut ya perty good, though.  That's why I always wear a thin pair of gloves underneath my choppers. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.