Author Topic: Moore Reservoir  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Moore Reservoir
« on: Feb 19, 2024, 04:10 AM »
I see the Moore Reservoir has a half dozen launches and some are listed as having a restroom.  Does anyone know if they are year round or seasonal only?  I thought the visitor center might be the best bet.  The wife gets a little irritable about the bucket thing.  It's probably not the best spot for toothy critters, but with potty it might be worth the trade off.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moore Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2024, 10:31 AM »
Not sure if the center is open in the winter? I have fished there but it's spotty for catching anything. Pike fishing has been going downhill for years on the Reservoir. The left hand cove at Old Waterford landing could produce some pike but there was a large pressure crack there awhile back,not sure if it's gone down. A few miles up river from Perkins landing is the best spot BUT no ATV traffic had been there as of early last week. There was 9 inches of ice as of last Friday in the non current areas. If you do fish at the Visitor center go to the the cove on the right from the parking lot,if you go straight out you'll be in 80 feet of water very quickly.

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2024, 04:27 AM »
thanks for the help.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2024, 08:18 PM »
I can't speak on which places have open restrooms during the winter as I haven't had to learn the hard way... but I bought a cottage in Littleton at the beginning of last summer and was there 2 weeks ago, looks like they lowered the water levels a lot recently given how low the water levels looked I opted to fish elsewhere. I've heard stories of guys ice fishing there having issues with dropping water levels after the ice forms. Not to scare you away by any means but keep that in mind. I'm sure fishingdigit who responded above me is more familiar with this than I am and doesn't seem concerned but figured it was worth mentioning

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2024, 10:38 PM »
I have heard those stories too, cut the ice and the water is a couple feet down

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2024, 06:02 AM »
I have heard those stories too, cut the ice and the water is a couple feet down

I have fished there for over 40 years and NEVER once seen that . The ice follows the water down as the dam always lets the water out very slowly. I have seen pressure from the ice pushing down on the water with water spewing 10 feet in the air as you drill through the ice, makes for a good bath if you don't back away quickly. If the power company holds the water back it will flood the edges overnight making access impossible some mornings. Currently 9 inches on the reservoir which is pretty bad for late February.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2024, 06:47 PM »
9in isn’t much for late Feb up there

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2024, 02:01 PM »
The ice floats on top of the water.  The edges get funky as the water goes up and down.  The ice does not suspend above the water when the levels change.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.