Author Topic: Multiple Jig per Line Knot  (Read 7226 times)

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Multiple Jig per Line Knot
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 11:46 PM »
I was wondering what the name of the knot was that allowed a person to tie 2 or 3 jigs to one line. I've been trying to find a way to tie multiple lures onto my icefishing line, but do not know how to do so, or how to find out. If you can help me out, that would be great! thanks!!!
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Multiple Jig per Line Knot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2003, 03:42 AM »
i use my regular knot and just leave a very long tail end in order to put another jig on. I think this may be called the lazy mans knot or the sorry fishermans knot. Doesnt always look pretty but works.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 04:37 AM »
mod auger
You can use what Mr Seaguar says or you could use the smallest swivel you can get. Put it about 12 to 18" above the top rig and tie a short dropper off it ,then tie the bottom jig with a longer dropper to the swivel both will be tied to the swivel in one eye. Don't use a snap swivel just a plain swivel this way you won't be putting pressure on the main line where your knots are. I think the swivels are a 00 or 0 size
Cold Feet

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 06:01 AM »
I use a Palamor knot make sure when you tie your first jig on you start with a long tail.Then space in your next lure and do it again.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 06:27 AM »
 The knot you're looking for is called a Dropper Loop.
Go to   www.netknots.com    for a full illustration.

If you can find Berkley's "Red book of knots" buy it!

When you master the Bimini Twist...you're a knotsman!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 06:58 AM »
I actually tie a snell knot on the top hook. When a bottom hook or weight is added, it pulls the top hook more horizontal, away from the line. I feel this gives a better presentation of the bait. Snell knots also work for the bottom hook.
Pete Lewis

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2003, 05:38 PM »
why not just use a crappie rig and replace the hooks with jigs? seems like it should work. ::)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2003, 07:10 PM »
chumster, the crappie rig is WAY to heavy and bulkey for Icefishing and you might not want to use the distance between the droppers the way they come. My set up is just like eyedokr's set up except i use a fly for my highest lure.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:37 PM »
Alrighty then.... just thought i'd ask.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2003, 04:23 AM »
Eyedocktr,
I've used the Polamar knot as well but that 2lb is starting to look invisible these days and pushing the loop through those tiny eyelets with my fat fingers is near impossible in the cold.

With a dropper loop the jig can be fed onto the standing line and the loop tied around it...you can vary the length of the loop to vary the fluttering action of the jig. I use this same rig with a sinker on the bottom for open water fishing. I believe the extra length of the loop allows the fish to inhale the bait more deeply so you can set the hook better.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2003, 01:03 PM »
I've always used the dropper loop, with a little different twist.  I learned from an old guy fishing nymphs in a stream to let the dropper loop knot collapse down on itself, but with a lighter line (leader) pushed through it.  He put a figure 8 knot on the end of the leader, and snugged it all up tight.  Using it his way, you could make the leader any length that you wanted.  Then, he'd drop shot rig it.  It may not be pretty, but you can make it look like the crappie spreader rig, and you can add as many droppers as your heart desires (as long as it's legal).

Fishrmn  
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.