Author Topic: Air fryer  (Read 2097 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Air fryer
« on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Always done my fish in the pan but wondering if anybody does them in an air fryer?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Air fryer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:37 PM »
I like my airfryer for lots of things but i dont like fish in it.it doesnt turn out the same as frying.

Offline freeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:47 PM »
If you like fish baked in the oven then the air fryer works great. I use it for crappie and perch for fish tacos.
Always done my fish in the pan but wondering if anybody does them in an air fryer?

sunniewally

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Any fish you like baked it works great. But for panfish I like mine fried in butter!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Of course everything taste better in butter, oil, lard whatever. But aside for convenience my main reason for using is the obvious health factor. You can laugh if you want but I'm going on 68 and trying hard to keep my weight and cholesterol down so I can enjoy my family and fishing for several more years. You can dip in egg, and bread crumbs and cook with no oil and maybe it's not quite as good but with some home made tartar sauce and an adult beverage it's pretty good. Plus I like any recipe that starts with: acquire some fresh pan fish...

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2021, 05:57 PM »
 We have done perch fillets in air fryer and as V.C. states, still good, ours are not quite as crispy as pan fried,but still tasty!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:43 PM »
I like my airfryer for lots of things but i dont like fish in it.it doesnt turn out the same as frying.

Well of course not silly, it's an airfyer!  :wacko:   ;D

My buddy does his that way and loves it. I haven't been lucky enough to try it that way yet....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2021, 10:35 PM »
I'll stay with the cast iron and a little oil. For health reasons I'll cut back somewhere else. Maybe bacon.. No... not bacon.. Maybe carrots. 

Offline Nipissing43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I also find the air fryer is slow.  If you get any sized gang together for a serious fish fry, the air fryer cant even get close to the speed of a deep fryer.

I wish they were faster as VC said, us older folks got to take care of ourselves and air frying is a healthier way of doing up your fish.

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2021, 09:09 AM »
Instead of using the egg~milk wash I use Mayo. Coat fish dip in crumbs air fry.  I also do chicken and chops this way.  Mayo keeps the moisture in.  Outside crispy. I do it this way because of a bad ticker.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2021, 10:28 AM »
I agree with some of the sentiments already expressed here.  It does not make them as crispy as frying in oil.  It is more comparable to baking them.
Personally, I like my panfish really crispy, so I don't use the air fryer for that anymore (but the air fryer makes great chicken wings and fries!).

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2021, 11:03 AM »
We are still working on perfecting the air fryer. It does a great job on frozen battered fish and shrimp, but most of that is battered and fried before it is frozen, so that is hard to replicate from fresh. We have done the dipped version- dredge in flour with salt and pepper/then egg wash, then panic with Parmesan and whatever herbs you like. That is the closest to a batter crust we have found.
If you can forgo the crispy/greasy batter part of the fish, this recipe is good and different:

You can also adjust the spices to Mexican with taco seasoning and cumin, and it makes a good start for fish tacos.

We still break to the fryer now and again, but the air fryer has become the standard for health reasons.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2021, 01:42 PM »
badger132,

That looks really good!  I am going to have to try that!
I think that is the key if you want it to crisp up; to not use any batter or bread crumbs.  Just let the meat be exposed to the air so that crisps up.  I think that is why it works will with chicken wings.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:42 PM »
Some say fish come out better if sprayed with oil or cooking spray before going into an air fryer. They claim it helps to crisp them. I haven't tried it yet.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline sawbelliesam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2021, 03:30 PM »
Tried the air fryer the other day on a big brown trout fillet. I brushed it with olive oil and seasoned with montreal steak seasoning, which is what I use for everything because it's got the ingredients that I prefer. It was very good. It wasn't like deep fried, but I like fish, and I'm doing the healthy thing as well. Better than baked, not as good as fried in the good stuff. The other case for the deep fryer is the fact that whatever you are cooking is suspended and allows the fat and any contaminates to leave the meat, leaving you with as little contamination in your fish as possible, short of not eating fish.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2021, 05:49 PM »
ice dawg,

Yes, I did try that once.  I coated the fish in Panko crumbs, and sprayed them with cooking spray.  They came out a little crispier than my first attempt, but not as crispy as oil fried (which is to be expected, I guess).

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:17 PM »
ice dawg,

Yes, I did try that once.  I coated the fish in Panko crumbs, and sprayed them with cooking spray.  They came out a little crispier than my first attempt, but not as crispy as oil fried (which is to be expected, I guess).
We have an air fryer. My wife used it couple times and put it somewhere in the pantry. Been there for a few years now.

Offline mugsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2021, 09:44 PM »
had a heart attack 2 yrs ago feb 16.  promptly changed my diet and bought anair fryer.
its just a countertop convection oven when you get down to it, mine has relegated my oven to desserts and reheating pizza.
mine has a vent , vent open is crispier.  i let anything breaded stand on a rack to set up and dry slightly. spray with cooking spray andpop it in.  everything comes out great even  fish is good.........but i still fry the fish

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2021, 11:37 PM »
Tried the air fryer the other day on a big brown trout fillet. I brushed it with olive oil and seasoned with montreal steak seasoning, which is what I use for everything because it's got the ingredients that I prefer. It was very good. It wasn't like deep fried, but I like fish, and I'm doing the healthy thing as well. Better than baked, not as good as fried in the good stuff. The other case for the deep fryer is the fact that whatever you are cooking is suspended and allows the fat and any contaminates to leave the meat, leaving you with as little contamination in your fish as possible, short of not eating fish.
I did this with a big Rainbow.  Brushed with olive oil and used lemon pepper seasoning.  It turned out great. In fact, it was just as good as when I cook it in a cast iron skillet.  Maybe the breaded, dipped in egg way isn't as crispy.  But trout with olive oil is excellent.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:06 AM »
Get a handful of smoked almonds and pulverize them in a food processor, dredge fillets in flour, dip in egg then cost with the smoked almonds powder. Spray with a cooking spray and air fry. Pretty killer and a different option to panko. Another great way to do this is use pulverized white cheddar cheese it's instead of the almonds. Phenomenal stuff!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:08 AM »
I jut broiled some walleye filets with dill butter last nite in my 25 yo countertop oven......still kickin' away, and broiled fish is about the healthiest you can get. Still considering an air fryer, but would like to find a cheaper used one first to see if I like it. Should be a few out ther for sale...just like the George Foreman grill fad.  ;)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:14 AM »
I jut broiled some walleye filets with dill butter last nite in my 25 yo countertop oven......still kickin' away, and broiled fish is about the healthiest you can get. Still considering an air fryer, but would like to find a cheaper used one first to see if I like it. Should be a few out ther for sale...just like the George Foreman grill fad.  ;)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chefman-turbofry-3-7qt-3-5l-analog-air-fryer-dual-dial-control-dishwasher-safe-basket-black-black/6330670.p?ref=8575135&loc=2a0f52e0751811eb9d2296097eac07130INT&acampID=2a0f52e0751811eb9d2296097eac07130INT&skuId=6330670

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:26 AM »
Ha! Just looking at that and this one too...great rating

.https://www.bestbuy.com/site/emerald-4l-digital-air-fryer-black/6317689.p?skuId=6317689&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAyc2BBhAaEiwA44-wW_FXq3HX9ByqU7yLR5FvXnMiiZvEhkytEMzxNJXm8odUMa1vRs97eRoCajUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course, they don't have it at MY store, order only. %$#@! I wanna see it in person.....thinking about just ordering it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:07 PM »
We have a NuWave Oven that is great for about anything I want to cook. I have done whole chickens, 12 lb turkeys, hams, steaks, roasts and lobster tails. They all turned out great. I think fish would be good in it too.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Instead of using the egg~milk wash I use Mayo. Coat fish dip in crumbs air fry.  I also do chicken and chops this way.  Mayo keeps the moisture in.  Outside crispy. I do it this way because of a bad ticker.
Is coating in mayo any better than deep frying?
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2021, 04:17 PM »
Mayo has a lot of oil in it.........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.