Author Topic: Pencil Weights for light Jigs  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Moldman52

• IceShanty Rookie
Pencil Weights for light Jigs
« on: Nov 10, 2017, 03:14 PM »
On last weeks Midwest Outdoors TV Show there was a segment on Devils Lake perch. They were using pencil weights to get light jigs down deep. Where can you get those pencil weights? All I can find are small bottom bounce weights, is that what they use but also make a loop on the bottom for the lower line to go? Any help is deeply appreciated.
Wishing You All Straight Shooting, Tight Lines and a Limit of Fun

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pencil Weights for light Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2017, 03:48 PM »
I didn't see the show but it sounds like your talking about drop shotting. I use this method all summer and fall for Crappies and Bluegill.  I make my own but you can use a plain sinker. Google drop shotting.
 Good luck
Oops! is too late.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Dropper Rig, plenty of options

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:37 PM »
On last weeks Midwest Outdoors TV Show there was a segment on Devils Lake perch. They were using pencil weights to get light jigs down deep. Where can you get those pencil weights? All I can find are small bottom bounce weights, is that what they use but also make a loop on the bottom for the lower line to go? Any help is deeply appreciated.

I've got a crap load here. You have them at your house cut a piece of hanger smash the 2 ends drill a small hole in each end the add your hardware. They do make heavier versions with a lip easier to see on the flashers and big heavy ones about a 1/4 inch wide.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:14 PM »
OG! Just tell 'em Mendota rigs! Right?  :thumbsup:

Years ago we made our own version and sold 'em out of a local tackle shop. Couldn't hardly make enough. The beads weren't locked so it made noise when you jigged it (think perch talker but we beat that by at least a decade). Wire, a bullet weight and some beads. Done.

In-Fish has touted a jigging spoon as a weight with a dropper and fly from that instead of the traditional hook. I do well with that at times too.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2017, 07:25 PM »
that looks nice yeah mine are the swish rod version ie Mendota rig I use to work with a guy that kinda made the first swishers using movie reels give me a yell when your heading out on mendota

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:18 PM »
I made some out of 1/8" copper tube, cut it to 10", flatten one end and fill with BBs, then flatten the other end and drill a hole thru the flattened ends. Works good for me on Mendota

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2021, 04:38 PM »
that looks nice yeah mine are the swish rod version ie Mendota rig I use to work with a guy that kinda made the first swishers using movie reels give me a yell when your heading out on mendota

I still have one of those rods as well. My first pencil weight was a V8 pushrod. I think they could be a good add for Cascade perch. Would like one like I saw on a Wisconsin TV show with a washer on top so it showed up better on sonar. Are they sold in Madison, or are all home made?

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:38 PM »

That could be the     Bomber made in Janesville,WI.     TNT Tackle  they have the washer built in. 

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2021, 05:54 PM »

That could be the     Bomber made in Janesville,WI.     TNT Tackle  they have the washer built in.

Are they available on line? I could not find them on their web site.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Hah! Nothing more than a take off on a Mendota rig I'll bet. Made locally popular in the Madison WI area for fishing way down deep perch. We sold a home-brew iteration of that at the tackle store in Ocon 30 years ago. Couldn't keep 'em on the pegs...

Kind of a offspring of "Mendota Rig" meets (yet to be invented) "Perch Talker". Go ahead, knock it off. I made it up and there are no rights reserved...  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2021, 10:51 PM »
I have some .093 stainless rod coming for another project. If I can figure a way to get a swivel on either end, I will give that a try. I was fishing 34' last time out, and I bet these would work well for getting the bait down fast without tangling. Bet they would stir up the mud on the bottom too.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:12 PM »
I made my own with small diameter copper tube, cut into 10 or 12in lengths, flatten 1 end, add some BB's for a rattle effect, flatten the other end, drill holes in the flat ends and attached a snap swivel to tie to

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:03 PM »

Why bother with a pencil weight? Just use what you have to add flash.

Use spoons like a shucks jigger? Clam speed spoon, Johnson snare, or and small spoon with a dropper.

If you don’t like the dropper spoons. Simply take a spoon like a Swedish pimple or acme kastmaster and take the hook off. Tie it on the end of your mono line. The tie a 6 to 18in leader off of it to tie your small jig on.

Works the same has any inline weight but can add flash to draw in the fish.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:49 PM »
The idea with a pencil weight is that it is longer than your leader. The pencil is usually a foot or so, and the leader just a little less. This keeps the small jig or fly from tangling around the line because the weight is dragging the bait down, so the bait is trailing behind. Bummer to fish for 15 minutes, not catch anything, and then find out you were fouled on the drop.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:56 PM »
Probably doesnt apply here but i have a lil mac pencil weight mold for bobber doggin steelhead.it molds 3/16 by 3" pencil lead sinkers that i trim depending on current.just some worthless info..

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:14 AM »
 can you use a roll of big dia. of soldering  lead ?
snowsnake

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2021, 12:44 PM »
The idea with a pencil weight is that it is longer than your leader. The pencil is usually a foot or so, and the leader just a little less. This keeps the small jig or fly from tangling around the line because the weight is dragging the bait down, so the bait is trailing behind. Bummer to fish for 15 minutes, not catch anything, and then find out you were fouled on the drop.

Just use a long slender spoon like a deadly Dick.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2021, 05:29 PM »
Simple, attach a split shot to your line about 18" above your jig or ice-fly.  I have used this method for many years when going light.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:58 AM »
It is strange that I have only seen this solution on Madison lakes. I suppose pre-internet, it was harder for ideas to travel, but it is interesting that an idea like this seems so foreign to others. They do more than the usual amount of deep water perch fishing there, so maybe that is it.
I took my old swish rod out yesterday (actually the home built predecessor to the commercial version that gave it that name), and my weight was about 8 inches long, and my leader 12 inches. First time down the hole it came up with the jig snarled up around the main line. I am going to try and get a longer weight and rig it as designed, and try again. I think it should work as well as it ever did- used to be able to get up and down fast enough to keep a school intruded. I will be interested to see what fighting a 12-14 inch perch is like with no drag.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:52 AM »
Simple, attach a split shot to your line about 18" above your jig or ice-fly.  I have used this method for many years when going light.

Love it!  I like the spoon attraction deal, but this is the definition of KISS.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.