Author Topic: Eating fish...  (Read 8003 times)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eating fish...
« Reply #30 on: Mar 01, 2005, 04:57 PM »
never tried it with mustard do you just add a dab or what :tipup:

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 01, 2005, 05:00 PM »
tarter sauce is homemade zucchini relish, miracle whip and mustard to taste...MMMMMMMMMM Good... ;)2

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2005, 05:08 PM »
The last few walleye have been done like this....cut fillets into bite size pieces run through egg and plain bread crumbs.  Melt 1/2 stick of butter/1/4 cup of zesty italian/ and a few shakes of parmesean(sp) cheese and a 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar in a hot pan....cook about 1 minute on each side.  Works good with little mess if your only cooking for 1 or2. Wife is  threatening to make me cook more often.
Just finished supper using your recipe for walleye swantucky. The walleye were Delicious. The Mrs. said she could get used to me fixing supper real fast. I changed a couple things due to a shortage of ingredients. Used pancake flour and red wine . There were no leftovers, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:40 AM »
here you go fishergurl13,

fish cakes:

2lbs fish filets(pike, perch, gils, what ever you catch)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/8 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 or 4 cloves of garlic chopped (1 or 2 if you have a date)
1 jalapeno chopped(seeds removed)
1 egg
1/2 cup Helmanns mayo
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Place fish in food processor and pulse a few times (until its chopped 4-5 pulses)
Add remaining ingredients and pulse again until everything is combined (do not over mix! keep it chunky..pulse 5-6 times)

Form mixture into patties ( a little smaller than hambergers)...dredge in seasoned bread crumbs and refridgerate for 1 hour.

Add a cup of vege oil to fry pan on med-high heat..Cook patties until golden brown!

Serve with garlic tarter sauce/ mayo.pickle.jalapeno.s alt.pepper.parsley

enjoy :woot:

Rock Bottom

« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:51 AM »
Yes arch you do not need much of it, just use it to take the sweetness away from the relish. This is a basic tarter sauce you can modify it however you like with your favorite spices. crushed garlic would make a nice touch I think. I really like the sound of the fish patties Rayfish...

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Can't beat a beer batter perch fry with homemade fries and tumbleweeds to get the arteries hard.  As an aside.....I'm really surprised people on IS eat freshwater fish so often, especially with the inorganic toxins present.  Here in NY there is a health advisory which states that no one should consume more than one meal per week from ANY water not otherwise listed under those with higher levels of contamination.  I worked for a lab a few summers ago that tested fish for PCB's, mercury, and polycyclic hydrocarbons as part of an ongoing statewide monitoring program.  ALL of the species tested contained easily detected levels these contaminants, even fish from some of the adirondack lakes some would consider the "cleanest".  The advisories are in effect for a reason.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2005, 10:59 AM »
CAUTION......Never,Ever click on a thread like this at 11:00 AM now you guys and gals have my stomach rumblin' and growlin'. I may have to have an early lunch. Great recipes,thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:48 PM »
Me and my buddies don't need a light when we night fish in the shanty. There is a warm glow exuding from our bodies that may be from the toxins in all the fish we eat.
Our attitude is simple. The fish live in the water we drink and on the air we breath.
The alternatives are rather stark, Dehydration, Starvation, Asphyxiation or You can just EAT, DRINK, FISH and be MERRY as long as you are here. ;D
Think the DEC gives out permits for all those toxins in the water so they MUST be OK ???
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

hali-man

« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:07 PM »
The alternatives are rather stark, Dehydration, Starvation, Asphyctiation or You can just EAT, DRINK, FISH and be MERRY as long as you are here.

Amen to that! I think people worry too much about what they eat, cleanliness, safe sex, and a bunch of other things!  8)

Anyway- my favorite fish dish is a simple bluegill-fillet with Italian seasoned bread cumbs, fried of course. Quick, easy and delicious.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:16 PM »
yeah but that nuisance chemo or radiation treatment really cuts into the fishin time

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Post those great recipes in the Hardwater Cuisine board so they don't get lost in the cleanup.  MMM MMM :tipup:

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:12 AM »
Lindz..just because I am cautious about how much fish I consume does not imply that I do not enjoy eating some of my catch.  I have seen first hand what these fish contain so I am a bit more concious and aware of what I eat.  Who would turn down a fresh side of home-smoked whites or laker?

hali-man

« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:16 AM »
So you limit yourself to eating fish once a week?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Hali...It's a personal choice to eat as much fish as one wants. I don't eat fish every single week of the year so on occasion (mostly during ice season) some weeks I will eat it a few times a week.  I'm still young and do it solely for health reasons.  Maybe I'm even more cautious due to the fact that my grandfather worked for GE for 25 years and ended up dying of cancer at age 62...he worked around PCB containing transformers everyday.

Offline fishergurl13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:29 AM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanx for all your responses, I have lots of new recipes now! Now maybe if I could find a man I could cook some fish for him!  :(
Fishergurl13

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2005, 10:32 AM »
i think your only problem will be finding a worthy man ;)

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2005, 01:43 PM »
Soak in milk, cover in breadcrumbs with a little bit of spice in them. Pan fry 375 for 2 minutes per side tops. Finish it off with some nice fresh grated Rybicki Cheese. Ever hear of it?

Watching the calories, broil instead of fry for about 3 minutes per side....... then do the cheese thing!

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2005, 01:47 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanx for all your responses, I have lots of new recipes now! Now maybe if I could find a man I could cook some fish for him! :(

If you feed them, the'll never go home!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2005, 02:35 PM »
If you feed them they get sleepy! :pinch:

hali-man

« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2005, 05:47 PM »
i think your only problem will be finding a worthy man ;)

There's gotta be some guy here that's worthy.
Yeah right!  >:D

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2005, 07:49 AM »
Equal amounts of flour and corn meal seasoned with black and red pepper.Dip in egg wash and coat with above. Then panfry in about 1 inch of olive oil.

Similar to my usual preparation regimen, except that I skip the red pepper, and depending on my mood sometimes I skip the egg wash and just coat in flour for a lighter breading effect. The olive oil is heart healthy. With the white flaky species of fish I am careful not to overcook, because they get rubbery and not as good. As soon as the flesh changes from the translucent appearance to white all the way through they are done cooking. Any longer than that in the pan and the quality of your meal starts to go downhill, IMO.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline techyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Favorite way now is scrod!!!!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #52 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:04 AM »
Oh boy.  I eat a LOT of fish and like to have it at least 4 or 5 nights a week so I have a few great ways to cook em.   Walleye newburgh is awesome and consists of a simple cream sauce over sauteed walleye served on pasta.  That's a real good one.  The other is fishcakes that uses mashed potatoes in the recipe and green onions.  Awesome.  Another favorite for medium or large walleyes uses a nice white wine sauce and breadcrumbs to finish it off.  Then there's the usual fried, baked, broiled, grilled, sauteed or whatever else you like.  Here's a link to some of the recipes I use a lot.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/recipes/

Good thing that you are not " a woman of child-bearing age or a child under 15 years of age " as the reg. book says.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #53 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Oh boy.  I eat a LOT of fish and like to have it at least 4 or 5 nights a week so I have a few great ways to cook em.   Walleye newburgh is awesome and consists of a simple cream sauce over sauteed walleye served on pasta.  That's a real good one.  The other is fishcakes that uses mashed potatoes in the recipe and green onions.  Awesome.  Another favorite for medium or large walleyes uses a nice white wine sauce and breadcrumbs to finish it off.  Then there's the usual fried, baked, broiled, grilled, sauteed or whatever else you like.  Here's a link to some of the recipes I use a lot.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/recipes/

If you caught a " Newburgh walleye " you would probably want to use everything you listed in the recipe except the actual fish.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:32 AM »
Me and my buddies don't need a light when we night fish in the shanty. There is a warm glow exuding from our bodies that may be from the toxins in all the fish we eat.
Our attitude is simple. The fish live in the water we drink and on the air we breath.
The alternatives are rather stark, Dehydration, Starvation, Asphyxiation or You can just EAT, DRINK, FISH and be MERRY as long as you are here. ;D
Think the DEC gives out permits for all those toxins in the water so they MUST be OK ???

While I won't stop eating all the fish I want to from " clean " NY waters, my yearly average rarely exceeds the 1/2 pound per week recommendation from DEC. Some weeks I will binge on several pounds. I always have in the back of my mind the possibility that the fish may contain dangerous levels of PCB, Mercury or other toxins even from crystal clear waters. Hopefully I am removing as much as possible by making skinless fillets. Bigredonice had some positive info. on this a few months ago. The problem is not the actual concentration of toxin in the water, it is bioaccumulation which essentially means that the toxins rise to higher and higher levels the more you go up the food chain. Fatty species like trout and salmon can accumalate the most organics, and the danger level in general is usually proportional to the size/age of the fish.

Release of toxic chemicals into the atmosphere is an unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of the industrial age. The only way to keep them out of the water is to stop it from raining. While the US and Europe have righted many of their past environmental wrongs, don't expect China and Russia and others to comply with our standards for many years to come if ever. China is realeasing a scary amount of pollution into the atmosphere as they rapidly industrialize. Mercury and sulfur from dirty coal are a big culprit there. Until they find a way for the air over China to stop mixing with ours, guess what - their pollution is also ours. I hope that there are still safe fish to eat by the time my children are old enough to have them.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #55 on: Mar 07, 2005, 08:58 AM »
With all the toxin talk you guys are creeping me out.  I love to eat perch and Walleyes but I do limit the amount of fresh water fish I consume.

As for Recipes:

Yesterday I went to a fish fry at my local Rod and Gun Club and they used a commercial clam dip batter obtained from a local restaurant (fryer temp. 375*).  This produced a very light breading that allowed the flavor of the fish to come through with just enough spices to make things interesting.  This is now my favorite method and will not use any other in the future.

Fishergurl: A girl who fishes, cooks, and post on IceShanty; I wouldn't worry about finding an interested guy.  You sound like a "Keeper" to me.  It almost makes me wish I lived in Wisconson  ::)

Tight Lines,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Rock Bottom

« Reply #56 on: Mar 10, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I second that.. ;D If I were your dad id be stocking up on shotgun shells to  keep the trollers away..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.