New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lost Pantopix (Not mine)  (Read 10418 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Lost Pantopix (Not mine)
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:27 AM »
you can't blame the people that found it ....they didn't steal it ..... and sorry to say it was the owners neglect ......that being said I hope he recovers it but some options to think about does your car or homeowners cover this? something to thing about ......

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:42 AM »
ok law says  turn it in.......does the guy have it back????? guess that's a dumb law .... check and see if your insurance covers it ...... I'm sure it was STOLEN! .....smh

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:44 AM »
if only that law could efficiently be enforced....

Offline Fihaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Just spoke to Garmin, GPS are passive devices and cannot be tracked. Will be looking.
Born to fish. Forced to work.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:59 AM »
In NY it is illegal to keep something you find:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEP/252

Only in NY  ::)   …..  or maybe California and a couple of other states too  ;D

The question someone asked about is your name on it got me to thinking …..   I know my name isn't on my flasher. It certainly would make it easier for an honest person to get it back to you and there's a good chance whoever finds something would want to do the right thing.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Yup, sticky address labels or engraving name & number for the big ticket items might help in some situations.
Sorry to hear, hope you get your stuff back.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2019, 03:47 PM »
I hope you get it back. Hopefully the ones that found it have a guilty conscience and return it or better yet drop it off at the police station.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:13 PM »
wait a minute  who ever  found it did nothing wrong !  and  without a name on it how can they return it? and as far ad the police  are  concerned  unless he reports it to the station it is dropped off too police can't help ,it will be sold at a auction with the stolen bikes ........

this is called taking responsibility man has a fish finder  that cost more then my  truck and he forgot to put it in the  car????

sorry you lost it  but .......who ever  found it is not responsible ......

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:38 PM »
wait a minute  who ever  found it did nothing wrong !  and  without a name on it how can they return it? and as far ad the police  are  concerned  unless he reports it to the station it is dropped off too police can't help ,it will be sold at a auction with the stolen bikes ........

this is called taking responsibility man has a fish finder  that cost more then my  truck and he forgot to put it in the  car????

sorry you lost it  but .......who ever  found it is not responsible ......

I don't know trap.
If someone found an item,  especially of higher value,  I would hope they would try to return it by contacting someone ( assuming they did) .
Word of mouth gets around eventually to social media.  I'm sure someone would put the word to the owner.
It happened to me upon finding a vex 18 on a private access lake.

I hope they get the unit back to the rightful owner

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:50 PM »
even if someone did find it and advertised that they found a 1400 unit. How do they know that that person coming to claim it is the one who really lost it ? Cut your loss and buy a new unit. I bet it will teach this guy to keep a better eye on his stuff. I always do a truck check list when I head out . I carry about 9 grand worth of equipment in my sled .  Drone .. check camera bag ..check , rod case .. check .. shanty .. check.  Both sonars .. check. If I drop a jaw jacker or camp chair it’s not the end of the word. A lot of fishermen are honest upfront guys that would return it. You also have the same amount of guys that will snatch that in a heart beat,stick it in his case of empties and drive off.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Sucks to learn a lesson like that but it will teach a valuable lesson too.no pun intended..my vexilar is the first thing loaded up.im hoping for the best and its returned.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Sucks to learn a lesson like that but it will teach a valuable lesson too.no pun intended..my vexilar is the first thing loaded up.im hoping for the best and its returned.

Yes a very hard way to learn a lesson, my marcum is the last thing I unload and first thing I load.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Same here. Everytime I get off the ice. 1st thing to go in back seat of the truck is the auger. Then flasher on the floor. Everytime.  Then my empty flip shanty goes in bed of truck. Besides few cheap rods in a hard case. Then I make sure tailgate is shut. Same routine Everytime.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:02 PM »
even if someone did find it and advertised that they found a 1400 unit. How do they know that that person coming to claim it is the one who really lost it ? Cut your loss and buy a new unit. I bet it will teach this guy to keep a better eye on his stuff. I always do a truck check list when I head out . I carry about 9 grand worth of equipment in my sled .  Drone .. check camera bag ..check , rod case .. check .. shanty .. check.  Both sonars .. check. If I drop a jaw jacker or camp chair it’s not the end of the word. A lot of fishermen are honest upfront guys that would return it. You also have the same amount of guys that will snatch that in a heart beat,stick it in his case of empties and drive off.

Your statement started of ok but turned south.
My thoughts were is it a scam.  But I'm a trusted person so I believe the story..
To say cut your losses and learn a lesson is nuts.
You are obviously well off enough to do that.
I'd like to think there are people no matter how big or small that ask help , deserve help. You don't know the circumstances but it seems someone is asking for help locating something that was theirs.
Not crucified for it being taken by someone who it wasn't.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:24 PM »
It's called INTEGRITY is all I'm saying.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:31 PM »
This happened to me on Tuesday.  Had a week long trip planned with motel.  Fished 1/2 day on day 1, all good. Woke up violently ill with virus Tuesday.  Had commitments so powered through day , mostly chumming.  Loaded ATV and an 80lb sled minus gear solo . Spent 4pm until 8 am in bed , woke up and drove 140 miles home only to spend 3 more days in bed. Finally unloaded gear and realized I left some gear on the ice 3 days ago.
Insignificant stuff but it happens.
If it was something I valued,  I surely be asking for help through a community

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:32 PM »
If an honest person had picked it up. They would have contact the police , dec , left a note at the parking lot. Posted it on social media. Told a local bait shop .If the owner who lost it checked those spots Then you don’t have much else to do. The chances of someone finding it and turning it in a couple weeks later is slim to none. You want something nice you gotta take care is it. Didn’t your pa pa teach you that lesson down yander lol  I mean don’t get me wrong, I hope the guy gets it back but the chances are slim at this point. I’ve lost stuff it sucks . But live and learn. I lost the aluminum tailgate off the back of my trailer last month. Made a u turn on the highway and it was already gone. Cost me 150 bucks. Now it’s got an extra strap on it

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Fihaddict...sorry about the loss of the unit. Sure hope you get it returned somehow, someday.

BTW-Does it have a warranty and serial number registered in your name ?
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Full, nice check list, but I didn't see Rowan on it. Is he catching more fish than you?....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Lol Rowan helps me with the check list! He also always rides behind me with his atv just Incase something jumps out !  He caught more eyes then me on the gsl a couple weeks ago  and he caught a bigger laker then I did last week. He’s getting good.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Feb 26, 2019, 08:18 PM »
like I said  could  claim it on home owners or auto insurance  maybe  ...and  ya don't know  if it was turned in  at a police station ..... to bad  but if  someone did find it  doesn't make  it their resposiablity is my point ....... this is why you teach your kids to pick up there  toys when they are  done playing ....or  griund  your kid  when they lose their new glasses....... thank God it wasn't a  hunting rifle just saying

Offline Fihaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:05 PM »
It was completely dark when I was packing my stuff in SUV. To make it easy to put my flip over in I unloaded heavy stuff including Panoptix. Being in black bag without any reflectors I simply must have left it on the ground. When I returned in less than an hour it was gone. I was one of the last people leaving parking lot. It can happen to any of you some day.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 26, 2019, 09:09 PM »
My $.02, if I found it I’d try to find the owner. If I lost it, it’s on me

Offline ditchrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:05 AM »
So what was the other vehicle in the parking lot? That might be a tie bit of info that could help here.

Offline Fihaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:26 AM »
One of the IS members spoke to them afterwards and they did not see anything. That is why I call this a  mistery.

luv2fish2

« Reply #55 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:14 PM »
so sorry bud that sucks , and for all u who say he who found it did nothing wrong i whole heartedly disagree they did not earn it , and there's an easy way to return it take it hardware my buddy found something valuable on ice it was returned. not trying to return it is as bad as stealing it in my book !no matter who "f"  up . you reap what you sow , karma's a b***h

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #56 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:30 PM »
It was completely dark when I was packing my stuff in SUV. To make it easy to put my flip over in I unloaded heavy stuff including Panoptix. Being in black bag without any reflectors I simply must have left it on the ground. When I returned in less than an hour it was gone. I was one of the last people leaving parking lot. It can happen to any of you some day.
i understand i have to do the same thing,unload sled then pack back of super suv and lastly put sled and power auger on top of all the junk i think i need to bring?i put new leds in all the lights to make it brighter to load and unload but still squirm thinking i left some thing behind.im praying you get your p-tix back
GOD HELP HIM
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I have to load the same way and managed to leave an auger behind, so I could definitely imagine leaving a black bag. Remember those two vehicles and next few times you see them fishing make sure to go check what they're catching, and more importantly if they using your gear. If they are, start throwing hands and breakin' rods.. Probably bad advice lol

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Anything taken and  your not the owner and is worth over $1000 in NY is grand larceny.Up to 7yrs in jail.Dosent matter that you found it.Its not your's.I hope you get it back.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:24 AM »
To the person that lost their Panoptix set up:
I am not on Facebook but a very reliable friend who is, said there is a "Garmin Panoptix Tranducer" setup listed for $800 in the Facebook Market Place.  You might want to check that out.
Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.