Author Topic: hooking bait  (Read 7329 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
hooking bait
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:12 AM »
when you hook the bait where do you all put the hook. towards the head or tail? i had two steal the bait the other day before i even got there and want to improve my ratio. thanks.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: hooking bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:39 AM »
We usually hook the bait just infront of the dorsal fin. Also try a smaller hook size. and check the action of your tip-up to make sure it releases smooth and easy, not hard.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline nativetrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best time of the year!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:51 AM »
I wish smelts would live a little longer when hooked up in the head area cause I think you hook more that way. Last weekend had a smelts head almost bitten off, but did not catch the fish. Obviously taken front the front and not swallowed yet. Any areas in the head region that allow the smelt to remain lively?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I wish smelts would live a little longer when hooked up in the head area cause I think you hook more that way. Last weekend had a smelts head almost bitten off, but did not catch the fish. Obviously taken front the front and not swallowed yet. Any areas in the head region that allow the smelt to remain lively?

We are not allowed to use live smelt in NY anymore unless it is jigged out of the lake it will be used on. Also some of our waters don't allow the possesion of smelt as bait or food at all.

When we could use smelt we found that hooking them a little behind the head kept them alive all day.

Offline nativetrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best time of the year!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Thanx adkRoy, I'll try that. Are you still in front of the gills?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:12 AM »
Thanx adkRoy, I'll try that. Are you still in front of the gills?

No I am just behind them too.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:14 AM »

I've been hooking mine through the top of the eye socket with my first hook and through the back behind the dorsal with my second hook of a quick strike rig.  Stay alive all day if they make it that long ;)

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I hook mine through the eye sockets and fish em' all day.

Sometimes the smelts will die if you just look at them wrong.

They aren't a hearty fish at all.

Offline rayfrommaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I hook mine through both lips from the bottom.  Good hook ups and never killed one.

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:32 PM »
I'm kind of new to this forum and think it's great. I notice a few postings for useing small trebels with smelt. Althoug I'm sure it's effective, I would try to disuade it for anything that you may want to release. I fish a lot of lakes in Northern New England for salmon. Keepers are say 14" - 16" depending on the lake. Many places you catch a few shorts for each keeper and with the small trebels and swallowed hooks, the mortality rate for releases must be high. I'd recommend very shy gear for salmon. Depending on the lake, I like 6-10 pound flouro leaders 2'-8' long. Try snelling gamakatsu octopus hooks directly to your leader. Use a hook size to match your bait and mono size. For average 4" smelt and 6lb leader use a #6 hook. Go bigger or smaller to match the gear, get it?  Use smelt or shiners, whatever is locally prefered. I have always liked hooking the bait in the back just behind the dorsal fin but not too deep as to hit the backbone. Also Smelt tend to circle down there and sometimes swim up so you got to use a weight on the leader to keep them down but sometimes I use another swivel tied into my leader about a foot from the bait instead of lead. It helps with twisting is you get one of those demon posessed smelt that just want to swim in circles at 35 mph and is usually enough weight to keep the bait down and away from fouling up in your hole.  But hey what do I know, I just being a "newbie" and all.
Good luck!

Offline JAB198

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:06 AM »
through the lips. i like small red trebble hooks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.