New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bubbler Petition  (Read 4441 times)

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Bubbler Petition
« on: Jan 14, 2022, 11:41 AM »
A woman in Brant Lake has started this petition to regulate bubblers after her grandson's dog drowned.

Ice anglers should find this interesting.

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/regulations-for-winter-ice-eaters-bubblers-on-our-waterways?source=facebook&&fbclid=IwAR20FdJk4W9OfQVnJ5oY3_AxVo4lzBJoZaN_eTRZgePgdw1HL9ErjofdSv8

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: Bubbler Petition
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:00 PM »
That's an easy thing to sign. ban all the ice eaters  :bow:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2022, 12:11 PM »
first this  is  opinion and  no  way reflects the opinion of  iceshanty or it's  employees ....ice  bubblers protect  property these are  the home owners  that  will be calling town legislators to stop parking if  we   upset them ...they are protecting  their  docks  (legally)  i'm sorry  about the  dog  but  isn't there a  thing called a  leash law? i think the people  that live  on brant lake and  pay taxes  are  going to win this  fight  .... a new  dock  can  cost thousands and  thousands  a  leash  for a  dog a  few  dollars....common since

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2022, 07:36 PM »
I see your points Frogger, but please consider other anglers and locations, and especially at public access locations. There are two places I fish with public access that would benefit all ice anglers from this proposed 300/20-foot regulation. One is iffy as I write this, and solely because of bubblers. This is the case year after year and the intentions of the dock owner(s) are routinely questioned. I'm sure there are other situations like this across NY and the Northeast. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2022, 02:34 AM »
Signed.  Thanks for sharing. 

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:27 AM »
As a lake George fisherman,  I will gladly sign this. 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:46 AM »
It’s simple people run the bubblers to be lazy and have never been told no. There is a person fighting for there house over this issue dec mandated the home owner remove it. I beleive dec had to remove. It was aimed at the launch and not under the dock.
Homeowner put another one back. Please remember that no one owns the lake/river/creek banks or bottom so at the end of the day anyone with a bubbler is breaking the law by having equipment set up on not there property. My thoughts and opinions. I’ll sign tho I don’t fish anywhere it effects me.
Where’s the paperwork
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Done..👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Fishmon

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:03 AM »
Had the misfortune of going through the ice on Lake George back in the 80s when I walked across an area that had refrozen approximately an inch thick about 150 feet from a dock.  The ice eater had shut off due to a power failure and the open water refroze.  The main lake ice was well over a foot thick with hardly any snow on it.  We had an inch or two of new snow so the refrozen area was indistinguishable from the main lake ice.  I went through in about 10 feet of water.  I was super lucky and got both of my arms on thick edge and got right back on ice.  Guys I was fishing with said I came out like a Polaris missile.   It was really cold and I looked like a snow cone before I got back to vehicle.   Not a recommended experience.   

I feel sorry for  the lady from Brant lake and I do think there is some liability for lake front owners that operate these devices.   Some of the ice eaters will open up to100 yards of water and undermine ice that was thick.  My main issue is use of these devices around public access areas where adjacent owners intentionally direct the device toward the access points.  That is being total irresponsible.  Be safe around these areas.

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:05 AM »
Signed it 👍

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:07 AM »
Signed.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2022, 07:35 AM »
This reaks of the trailer hitch law. Someone not paying attention to their dog was the problem. Just like the lawmaker not paying attention to where she was walking when she banged her shin on the hitch. We should not be fixing stupid with laws.

Now I can see not being able to erode ice around a public access. But we have many big boat harbors around central NY that you cant pull docks because they are peirs.. I am definitely not in favor of banning them, so I will wait to see what the final bill looks like.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2022, 09:04 AM »
first this  is  opinion and  no  way reflects the opinion of  iceshanty or it's  employees ....ice  bubblers protect  property these are  the home owners  that  will be calling town legislators to stop parking if  we   upset them ...they are protecting  their  docks  (legally)  i'm sorry  about the  dog  but  isn't there a  thing called a  leash law? i think the people  that live  on brant lake and  pay taxes  are  going to win this  fight  .... a new  dock  can  cost thousands and  thousands  a  leash  for a  dog a  few  dollars....common since
[/quote    World of difference between ice eaters and bubblers...I have no problem with bubblers but ice eaters should be banned. They destroy more docks than they help because the ice breaks away much earlier than normal and when the flows start bouncing around and destroys shorelines along with docks.  Lake George has a big war against invasives, but they allow underwater fans to blow stuff all over. Crazy when they are set up next to mats trying to kill the weed. A lot of the dock owners with the big ice eaters are doing it to keep people away not to save a dock. One knuckle head in Bolton did even have a dock. Just a matter of time before someone drowns and it goes to court.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2022, 09:42 AM »
we  have lost members that walked into a  bubbler  and  drowned ...i'm not  sure  but i  don't think the  dock owner  was held liable ,you start telling land  owners  they have  to  pull docks  to  suit ice fisherman i see  parking and  access  being lost fast! remember we park on the  roads  that their towns operate i see no parking signs going up  i see  posted  signs   and in truth  all  thats needed is a little common sence on the  part of ice  fisherman  and  use a spud  around  docks

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2022, 10:45 AM »
 ::) ::) ::)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2022, 12:31 PM »

I feel sorry for  the lady from Brant lake and I do think there is some liability for lake front owners that operate these devices.   Some of the ice eaters will open up to100 yards of water and undermine ice that was thick.  My main issue is use of these devices around public access areas where adjacent owners intentionally direct the device toward the access points.  That is being total irresponsible.  Be safe around these areas.

Guy next to vets memorial park...same thing happened.  Dog drown.  Guy has been told not to point at the access, does it anyways.  Has no dock either.  Im all for that being stopped.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2022, 02:34 PM »
People need to be responsible for their own actions on any ice formation.... any time a person goes on ice they should realize there are gas holes, uneven formation of ice, streams coming in, springs under the ice, etc ..... even area's around docks and/or fallen tree's w/o bubblers are dangerous.  There are no safe ice conditions - people that don't know and don't take the proper precautions that will fall thru.  I'm assuming this petition is more about lake access than safety though......
It is about safety ... those ice eaters can make it unsafe for a huge area around dock. The lake is owned by the people of the state and not dock owners ....

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2022, 02:56 PM »
Unbelievable folks would sign such a poorly written petition.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11:48 PM »
we  have lost members that walked into a  bubbler  and  drowned ...i'm not  sure  but i  don't think the  dock owner  was held liable ,you start telling land  owners  they have  to  pull docks  to  suit ice fisherman i see  parking and  access  being lost fast! remember we park on the  roads  that their towns operate i see no parking signs going up  i see  posted  signs   and in truth  all  thats needed is a little common sence on the  part of ice  fisherman  and  use a spud  around  docks
I agree.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:57 AM »
Must be an Indiana thing ..... save it for your own midwest folks.  ??? ???

haha no its a freedom thing bra.  i have seen a few around here but not many.  most just remove their docks.

maybe they should just mark them with a flag.  then they could save the docks and the fishermen. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Unbelievable folks would sign such a poorly written petition.
Just a tip: if you are petitioning your representatives, look up how to spell their name first.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:29 PM »
don't invite the man into your life

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:20 PM »
totally agree .....
This petition is inviting the man into your life.... ::).

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:29 PM »
My property, my choice!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2022, 04:04 AM »
My property, my choice!
Just know that once you leave shore you are on state property
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:18 AM »
You are correct ..... I just wish that a lot of the people that use that state land didn't leave behind so much trash for the land owners to clean up, and treat the land around the lakes, and the lakes themselves with more respect.  I've picked up enough trash on "our" lake in the last 20 years to fill a landfill. Thats partly why I'm willing to cut the bubbler people some slack if the action of protecting their dock also keeps people off in the winter. Between the paper and plastics and empty propane containers and bottles of motor oil and cigarettes and cigars (and resulting areas of spittle) and piles of feces, its a mess out there after most days of fishing ...... Certainly there are an awful lot of good fisherman that take all their crap off the ice, in addition to crap other people leave, but it only takes a handful to ruin things for everyone ....... If I had to guess, I bet that plays a huge part in it.

All valid points, no doubt. But should the ethical anglers be punished for what the knuckleheads do? I feel that no more than 20 feet of water around a dock and nothing within 300 feet of a public access location is not too much to ask. It's not like the municipalities that regulate bubblers are banning them, they're just asking for some flexibility.

Offline sgdhaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2022, 05:17 PM »
There is a town ordnance on one of the bays I fish, docks with bubblers must have  a flashing yellow warning light. The lights are visible 24/7.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:49 AM »
We have 3 ice eaters we use for waterfowl hunting. Hunting season is over by the time ice fishing is going so never been a problem. Also we use ours in swamp and ponds 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2022, 01:29 PM »
isn't it funny, we  have  ice to  fish on  so these  threads  go  to the way side

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2022, 07:19 AM »
don't invite the man into your life
I would add to this " or you get what you deserve"
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.