Author Topic: Lake of the Prairies, FINALLY  (Read 6450 times)

Offline sticky

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake of the Prairies, FINALLY
« on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Finally some decent reports from L.O.P. Mitchell Subdivision area and across the lake on the west shore, 22-30ft water, and for you PIRATES that arent going out this weekend, I hear they are airing on OLN/Versus network "Backroads with Ron Schara and Raven" featuring Lake of the Prairies. I did this trip with Ron in June, should be good for the area. Supposed to be on Sunday@ noon, apparently not in Canada, so, again, you PIRATES, let me know how it is if you see it. Not sure if the trout segment will be on or not.

Offline lilchief

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake of the Prairies, FINALLY
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:09 PM »
Thx for the reports sticky and i will maybe try and catch that show on tv tom. if i am up by then that is ;) ;) ;) ;).....lilchief ;D ;D ;D
Matt

Offline FishFrier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:38 AM »
anyone going to be able to catch that one?
i'd like to find a spot to take a look if possible

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Sticky where is this area? How far from Pyotts? I had a report that the Prairies was slow however I will go with your report for sure. Nice to see this body of water is slowly waking up.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Sticky where is this area? How far from Pyotts? I had a report that the Prairies was slow however I will go with your report for sure. Nice to see this body of water is slowly waking up.
The Mitchell Sub-Division is north-west of Pyotts, the cabins (homes) are on the north (east-side) bank, just before the lake turns north.We've been fishing north of Cupar Creek about a mile up on the west side, off and on for 3 weeks.....a few of large fish....too many small ones... and just enough slots to keep your interest up. It has been slow most of the winter out here.

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:54 PM »
welcome aboard Todryk....and thank you very much for the report on LOTP....great gang here that like to share....tightlines... keep em coming....Grump

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:41 AM »
Welcome Todryk. Thanks for the report. Keep us informed. Are youthe angler that just recently caught the 27 incher? Buddy at work has a cabin in your end of the woods. Once again welcome bud!!!

Offline elkkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:00 PM »
anyone going to be able to catch that one?
i'd like to find a spot to take a look if possible

I'll watch it on dishnet.  You can come over if you bring beer.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Has it been easy to get on near the cabins, any big drift or pressure ridges yet!  I usually fish only a Pyotts near the sunken island (large shoal)!  I may try out there soon if the bite is on!

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2007, 10:18 PM »
Welcome Todryk. Thanks for the report. Keep us informed. Are youthe angler that just recently caught the 27 incher? Buddy at work has a cabin in your end of the woods. Once again welcome bud!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D My fishing bud, the Captain, was the fella who caught the biggie ...27.25 inches

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Great stuff. Need to drop an underwater camera down there to see how many of these piggies are swimming around. Can't wait to try this well known paradise in the open water season. Never did make it last year. :'( :'( :'(

thebuckmaster

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Welcome todryk! ;D

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:14 AM »

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ We dropped an aqua-view scout down to have a look.....were not very happy with the picture, nor the visable distance..........mayb e the water is too stained.
We did have a large snot rocket try and eat the camera. Another fella near by was using an Atlantis camera seemed to work better. Does anybody have experience using underwater cameras in stained water? Any opinions on which camera is best in that kind of water? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Offline sticky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:59 AM »
Been using an older Atlantis, Dauphin Lake visibility is 18'', doesnt seem to bother the fish, where it really is valuable is after dark, we keep it pointed to a glow jig, which keeps the jig energized with the led light on the camera. Where we are fishing on Dauphin, you must be very gentle in placing your camera so you dont stir up the silt bottom, then it takes about a half hour to clear up. We set the ballast weights towards the back of the camera, giving you a bit of a downward viewof your jig and the bottom of the lake without stirring up the silt.

Offline sticky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Looks like we do get to see the Lake of the Prairies segment this sunday on Kare 11 at 10:30PM on Minnesota Bound, then on Saturday Feb 10th at 6:30P.M. The trout segments will be aired later this winter, curious to see how it turned out, the boys did catch a ton of walleyes.

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:16 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? What satellite service, what station is kare 11 on........would lve to watch
it if possible. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:36 PM »
kare11.com is an NBC affiliate out of MN...it is the local offering in Wpg for NBC on cable.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:43 PM »
:-\ :-\ :-\Has anyone been out on the LOTP this week or have you been staying warm. Thinking about going out tomorrow or the next day. Has anybody had any luck ? :o :o :o

Offline FishFrier

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2007, 02:29 PM »
went out last week-end.....started at the red on friday.....lotp saturday sunday
then was going to try dauphin on monday.....but i never made it
red - no bites in 3 hours....drilled only a couple holes
lotp saturday....made it for the evening bite???.......perch were stealing the live minnows like mad....was after the big fish
guess next time i'll go after the little buggers
lotp sunday....up with the sun......not a damned bite....pretty cold but i'm use to it....must have drilled 100 holes...nEVer got a bite..3 hours
 >:(... ???
must have been 40 shacks....and not another soul fishing.....could have been a clue that the bite wasnt on

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2007, 02:27 PM »
I watched the show last night on Kare 11. was interesting. Lots of walleyes were caught, showed bait to be used. Regulations that are in effect, such as barbless +the slot limit. Was shot on a beautiful sunny day. Sticky was very informative and a gracious host. Shore lunch looked tasty. Tip of my hat to ' Sticky". Great job of promoting Lake of the Prairies and Manitoba fishing to fishermen of Canada and the united States.

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Kudos! :thumbsup:

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2007, 12:01 PM »
;D ;D Out on Wednesday, fishing by Anderson's (south of Pyott's) lotsa bites, several biggies, a limit of slots, a few perch, but too many little thieves. Almost need an extension on the jiffy, ice about 24 inches with a foot + of packed snow. Going out again on Saturday. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:42 PM »
Great report and nice to hear that this beautiful body of water is producing. Tell us about some of the bigger ones you caught. How big?

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Pictures would be great! ;D

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2007, 12:10 PM »
 ;) ;)Just getting ready to head out ot the LOTP.......will take my camera
along this time.......hopefully we can capture a few biggies today. The ones we caught the other day were in the 24 -26 inch range. Will tell more when i get back tonight. :flex: :flex:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2007, 05:50 PM »
TD looking to get out there in March. You game to meet up??

Offline t-tot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Heading their this weekend wondering where is good right know.  Not to familar with this lake fished it a couple times.  Coming from sask. thanx for the help.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2007, 05:34 PM »
TT read the rest of the post buddy. Try just north of Pyotts on the eastside of the lake.

Offline todryk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:31 AM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[Big Walleye - Sorry for not replying earlier but had to make a quick trip into Saskatoon and Regina.............as long as I still have ice water pumping thru my veins and I'm still sucking air........I'd like to meet up when you're on LOTP in March.........just give me a heads up.
Captain and I are going out today ......will report back later. I picked up a Marmish rod when I was in Saskatoon and I  really want to try it out. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Can you drive on,or drive close by within walking distance?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.