Author Topic: Whiteshell Road Trip!!  (Read 2023 times)

Whiteshell Guru

Whiteshell Road Trip!!
« on: Mar 19, 2005, 12:50 AM »
Howdy!

Just came back from a 2 day trip of the Whiteshell Provincial Park. I would just like to complement the snowmobile trail groomers on their job. I can't remember any time the trails have been that nice in the middle of March.....ever. Excellent job guys!

Anyway a buddy of mine and my uncle headed out to Mud Turtle and Malloy on Wednesday and Thursday. This is how it went.

At about 12:30 we headed out to Mud Turtle to try and catch our supper. We went through a bag of bait, but only managed to get 4 through the ice. They were nice size though.....all 3.5 to 5 pounds. We were using anchovies and smelts with quick sets. The jacks would steal the bait, but if you were not sitting by your line, it was a hopeless cause. By 4:30, we only had 2 on the ice. We seemed to get more bites at about 5 or 5:30. But none the less, it was a slow day. While filleting the fish that we caught, we noticed that their stomachs were full with small bass. One of the bass in the stomach as in fairly good shape, so I put it on a hook and the next thing I know I caught one that broke my leader (I was sour). I also did some jigging and pulled one out using a glow in the dark jig and peach colored "yum" twisters. We finally called it a day at about 6:30

The next day we headed out to Malloy. Things were a bit better as far as quantity goes. With three guys, we pulled out 14 jacks. The action seemed a bit slow, but there was no certain time the fish were biting. All 6 hole pulled out atleast 1 fish, so they were biting everywhere. We didn't catch anything big though. The biggest was 4.4 pounds but the majority were about 2.5-3.5 pounds. A group fishing next to us pulled out a 22 pound pike, and like the excellent fisherman they are, released it. It was only about 39" and figured out that it must have been full of eggs, and wanted to catch more next fishing season. Good job guys! We finally headed back to the shack at about 5:30 with almost our limit. All in all, we couldn't have asked for better weather and better fishing.

We got back to the shack and had a few "wobblies" to end a fun 2 days.

The only part of the trip I was disappointed with is when we got to Malloy, there was a lot of garbage on the lake. I guess some people camped out there as there was cut wood all over the fishing area and tree limbs where I guess they slept on. I wish some people could clean up after themselves to make it more enjoyable for the next fishermen that visit. During the slow times I picked up the garbage and cleaned up the wood so the "regulars" won't get blamed for it.

As for Beauchemin, I did have a chance to fish it this week, but my dad and his fishing buddies plan on heading out early next week. I will be sure to give a report (Wednesday or Thursday). I talked to a few locals and they say that pike fishing has been a bit slower their than other lakes but the average size of the fish have been a bit bigger (4-5 pound average). The spot that has seen the most action is a little bay on the east side of the lake, across from the warm up shack. Nobody has seen to find a spot were the walleye this winter yet. If anybody knows where they are, that would be great.

This was the first time I got to check out the new warm up shack at Red Rock. It is awsome.

Well, that's the report that I have for this week. Good luck to all of those that are heading out to Falcon for the derby on Sunday. I wish I can make it, but can't. I would love to have won the guided trip with Craig Stapon. That would be wicked.

Until next, Keep fit and good fishing!

Whiteshell Guru

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
Re: Whiteshell Road Trip!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2005, 01:12 AM »
Great report Whiteshell Guru.
Unfortunately messy people are all around. Always end up picking up empty containers and lids at Lockport, and today at Birch same problem. Seems people just take and don't seem to think they need to do anything in return.
Sorry for harping on the bad.
Sounds like you had a great time. Keep up the good fishin and great reports.
Tim

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2005, 09:07 AM »
Way to go WG sounds like you had a pretty good day.Good to se other fisherman taking thier part in catch and realese.!!!TIGHTLINES!!! :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Awesome report dude, and thanks for picking up after the dumbasses.....crapty to have to clean up after people, but know that it is appreciated. :)
Let there be ice.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Guru great trip report bud. The world needs more people like you for picking up someone else's garbage. I did the samething  today at the daiphin derby. Some people I tell you.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2005, 07:21 AM »
Sounds like that was a great trail trip  ;D
Access to the Lockport wall was lost to the shore fishermen for the same reason.....slobs leaving garbage everywhere. Heck, they posted warning signs and they even had garbage cans out for people to use.........but NOOOOOO.......too lazy.....they must think the other guys will pick up after them  :%$#!: :cookoo: :%$#!:
If everyone did their part.......congrats to you WG. :clap:
Sorry for venting  :tipup:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:11 AM »
BI you have the right to vent. People need to be more repomsible when it comes to picking up garbage. Again this year I will be bringing a garbage bag or two with me when I go shore fishing to pick up some garbage as the bite slos.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.