Author Topic: Burbot Highway  (Read 7100 times)

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont catch today? There is alway's tommorow!!
Burbot Highway
« on: Mar 14, 2005, 05:04 PM »
How many of you have fished Lake Manitoba (Delta) this winter, how were you doing catching those burbot?

Well here is my report from sunday the 13th. I got out (Delta) at about 8:30, walked about 20 min. from the diversion practicly straight out. As I was drilling my first hole, the wind picked up and what a wind for about 1 hour there was a complete white out, I droped my line and right away had my first perch, but the wind was such a pain that I quit fishing and started building my self a nice little shelter 40 min. later I droped my line down again and practicly hammerd the perch for a while. At about 1 jumbo master came out and drilled a couple of holes and right away started catching aswell. No to the burbot, before jumbo master came out I had two burbot on the line but both got off, after jumbo master came I caught 2 in a 1 hour period and had another two on that I could not bring trough the hole (I drill holes with a 6 inch hand auger). I had jumbo master helping me out but I just could not bring it's head in the hole. That was my best day for burbot on the lake. Now I have an official name for that strech from the diversion out to the lake and I call it "Burbot Highway". ;D
<'(()))<

Offline Jumbo Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its not a passion, its an obsession!!
Re: Burbot Highway
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Hey icebraker, That name for Delta is the best man!!! That was a lot of fun on Sunday, other that the stinking wind. Once we put up that wall it made a world of difference!!! ;D ;D  On the way home i thought I should get some of those "special" minnows you were using. Write me a PM and let me know where you got them :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
    Happy Fishing, Tightlines!!!!!!!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Quote "I should get some of those "special" minnows you were using. Write me a PM and let me know where you got them "
Sounds like fishing secrets to me.......I thought this forum was beyond that  ???
Guess I'll have to be more discreet in my details   ;)2
From what I've heard, the Red is still dead........so maybe......I'll take the Burbot Highway myself   :thumbsup:

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Stinkin' burbot...grrr...just a couple days away from a prize...grrr....

Sorry, just had to vent a bit.  I wanted to get into burbot this winter, but it just didn't happen.  I'd say it is time for more auger if you are going to try to get into something you can't get up the hole.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2005, 05:29 AM »
When we pulled up to the diversion yesterday some fool left a huge burbot on the road. What a waste. >:( >:(
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:14 PM »
I know what you mean big walleye, I don't understand people that do that if they don't want them they should release them. I think people that do that take things for granted and don't appreciate our good fishing resources. They don't know anything else but to waste.
<'(()))<

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Your right icebraker. I also saw a lot of wasted tullibee today that did not come from the commercial fisherman. People must learn to release these fish or keep them for consumption. Tullibee also make nice bait for Pike and channel cat.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2005, 10:09 PM »
BW I agree if people aren't going to eat them or use them for bait like you said they should definatly release them as they are a MAJOR foodsource For burbot pike and walleyes in that lake!!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:02 AM »
How many of you have fished Lake Manitoba (Delta) this winter, how were you doing catching those burbot?

Well here is my report from sunday the 13th. I got out (Delta) at about 8:30, walked about 20 min. from the diversion practicly straight out. As I was drilling my first hole, the wind picked up and what a wind for about 1 hour there was a complete white out, I droped my line and right away had my first perch, but the wind was such a pain that I quit fishing and started building my self a nice little shelter 40 min. later I droped my line down again and practicly hammerd the perch for a while. At about 1 jumbo master came out and drilled a couple of holes and right away started catching aswell. No to the burbot, before jumbo master came out I had two burbot on the line but both got off, after jumbo master came I caught 2 in a 1 hour period and had another two on that I could not bring trough the hole (I drill holes with a 6 inch hand auger). I had jumbo master helping me out but I just could not bring it's head in the hole. That was my best day for burbot on the lake. Now I have an official name for that strech from the diversion out to the lake and I call it "Burbot Highway". ;D

Come on boys. Do some of us BCers have to come over and teach you how to fish for burbot? Never fish in a 6 inch hole for burbys. 8 inch minimum. Nice to know we will have some competition next year in the burbot category from you friendly Manitobans. If your going to fish a 6 inch hole then drill 3 in a triangle fashion to get a bigger hole. Think BIG= Get BIG.

Offline tk10fire

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm baaaack let the fishing begin
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Sorry for being ignorant, (and really bad at spelling) but is there a friendly little competition going on here or what.
Tim

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2005, 12:05 PM »
heck this is getting interesting.  BC vs manitoba in a annual burbot fest.  ::) ::) ::) I love it.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Sounds good to this BC boy. A little friendly competition for bragging rights next year. Bring it on.... Just watch out for icechip from BC. We may push the old boy to a world record, then we would all be drooling. :P :P :P

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:52 PM »
Go big or go home, eh Terry?  I never really got a chance to get out and target burbot this year, but hopefully next year...I can't believe people call them ugly...then again, what do I know about beauty?

Derek

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2005, 08:41 AM »
Meeeeoooowww........

[/img]
[/img]

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2005, 08:47 AM »
i have no idea how this friendly competition may have started.... :angel...Grump

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Well i am headed out for burbys saturday  :D.  The whitefish and burbot are in full throttle at the lake we are going to.  Buddy of mine lost a burbot last weekend that couldnt fit through a 8 inch hole :o.  He ran out of gas on the power auger(10 inch) ::) ::)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:21 AM »
i have no idea how this friendly competition may have started.... :angel...Grump
You remind me of my grandfather Grump: Kind of a devilish angel.
At work I'm known as pleasantly disgusting.

I believe your ling are smaller than our monsters :woot: :woot: :woot:. Next year we will prove it. Icechip will take me in 22kms to his "World Record" lake. Have to go by horseback and will spend a few nights in there.

grumpymoe

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:19 AM »
yadda yadda yadda!!!!....bc ling will eat manitoba ling for breaky....ya ya...well....here's Mountainmama's first one in December.....and there's bigger!!!....Grump                                                                                         

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:22 AM »
WTG MM!! Grump tomorrow nessie is coming to see the hardside of the ice !!!!!! ;D

icefishinnut

« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:49 AM »
hey everyone

heading out to the delta diversion tomorrow with icefishinwalnut hope the mariah are biting or anything else for that matter lol

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2005, 05:47 PM »
Let's go MANITOBA!!!!

The challange is on now boy's.
<'(()))<

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Looks like a litter of BC kittens.....meeeow.... I think someone stuck their foot in their mouth on this one  :roflmao: :clap: :whistle:

Offline Jumbo Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its not a passion, its an obsession!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2005, 06:10 PM »
   Here we go boys, lets show these BC boys what we are made of !!!!!!!!!! :woot: :woot: :clap: :clap:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2005, 07:09 PM »
yadda yadda yadda!!!!....bc ling will eat manitoba ling for breaky....ya ya...well....here's Mountainmama's first one in December.....and there's bigger!!!....Grump                                                                                          (Image removed from quote.)

We don't need to see your baitfish Grump :woot: :woot:

Sorry boys, I'm done for this year as have to get going on building my house but next season. You guys should start now though to practice up for next season.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2005, 07:22 PM »
Careful Tgf...I might have to come up to PG and poke your good eye out  ;D

I had my first taste of burbot a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed...they are worthwhile to target...again, really, except to the women, does size really matter?

;)   :-*

Derek

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Yawn. So sleepy. Must be the fight that I had with little reels Nessie this afternoon. Hey BC if you need real burbot sent your way give us a call. Yawn. ;D ;D ;D

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Yes I was hoping to see some real burbot challenges come out of Manitoba in the tourney.... guess not this year heh guys. Grump got me a little excited with his last entry.... but that was it (burbot) from Manitoba. Next year the challenge will be on. Till then you can view our certificates on the BC site (when we get them). Good summer to all and practice up. If any of you Manitoba boys are out this way in August, let me know and we can connect you up with some springs in some of our rivers.

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2005, 12:15 AM »
Here are some of our Lake Manitoba Burbot!!!

Just some nice burbot we have caught this year. We have caught a few other ones but unfortunatly we did not have the camera with us!!!! :-[ :-[
<'(()))<

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:17 AM »
Careful Tgf...I might have to come up to PG and poke your good eye out  ;D

I had my first taste of burbot a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed...they are worthwhile to target...again, really, except to the women, does size really matter?

;)   :-*

I like the 4-8lbers for eating, definately. The 8-18 lbers taste a little different, not as sweet.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:58 AM »
Hey icebraker I think TGF already said we don't want to see your guys' bait! ;D LOL Better luck next year! Watch out cause I'll be entering for sure!!
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.