New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339116 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8400 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Anybody out today? how much did the snow condense and how is the drag?

And I figure i'll ask this on the off chance I get an answer - anyone been going out onto the lake out of basin bay??  PM me if you want to keep it quiet. I normally fish the east side but have an appointment in Schroon Lake in the afternoon and want to fish an extra half hour instead of drive from the east side  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8401 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Vets is a slopfest as expected... Bite was great though.  WARNING to all, two fisherman on a sled went through and lost their snowmobile at the ridge that always forms along Crown Island.  They went in about 150 yards north of the northern point of Crown Island..beware.  They got out with a little help and met rescue team back at the lot.  Stay on top guys.
Side note...I caught at least 40 monster gills today.  I always catch about half a dozen targeting perch...never had one of these days though.

That ridge gets someone every year.

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8402 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:13 PM »
fished vets today first time in 15 yrs. lousy drag dinkfest with perch and i mean small.Got one laker by accident forget that spot.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #8403 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:44 PM »
fished vets today first time in 15 yrs. lousy drag dinkfest with perch and i mean small.Got one laker by accident forget that spot.
how was the ice thinking of hitting vets tomorrow afternoon

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8404 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:22 PM »
once you get out good.Lots of slush

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8405 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Anybody know any decent spots to catch Cisco's on the lake ?

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8406 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Do you eat them or just use them for bait ? ^^

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8407 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Bait for big lakers and pike

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8408 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:54 PM »
That’s what I figured,  I’ve never caught one before , a guy told me you catch them perch fishing.

Offline nitro09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8409 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:09 AM »
I caught 5 in huddle bay a few weeks ago perching. Been to the same spot since and none. They were hanging with some big perch.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8410 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Vets wasn't too bad getting around on this morning, but fish were reluctant to bite.  I took a long walk out towards Tongue Mountain and there is new ice out there.  There is a sharp line between the old (8-10") and the new (bare) ice (about 3", too thin for me).  Back in the bay it is considerably thicker.

Four wheelers got the ice chewed up pretty good in some locations, but there are patches of bare ice here and there and lots of snowmobile tracks to walk out on.  Beautiful day, cold but no wind to speak of.  Just wish the fish had been more cooperative.  We fished from 30-38' and had the most bites in the deepest water we fished.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8411 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Vets wasn't too bad getting around on this morning, but fish were reluctant to bite.  I took a long walk out towards Tongue Mountain and there is new ice out there.  There is a sharp line between the old (8-10") and the new (bare) ice (about 3", too thin for me).  Back in the bay it is considerably thicker.
Did you see the big hole that the snowmobile that went through Saturday left?
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8412 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:41 PM »
I figured this thread will be a great place to tap into those with experience fishing deeper water.

I have the Garmin Striker 4,  and I've had success using it as a flasher in waters up to 40 feet deep. This weekend I tried jigging up some Schroon lakers in 80 fow, and my jig disappears after about 45 feet deep. I had the gain up as high as it could go, 200 MHz, and was using some sizable jigs (.75 oz Swedish pimples).  Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? Or is it just a limitation of this unit? Would a dedicated ice flasher (ie Vexilar) easily pick up this jig at this depth?

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I have another question for this unit: I've noticed the surface noise seems very bad, with a ton of red for the first 6-9 feet. I can knock most of it out with the surface noise option, but then I'm worried I'm missing fish suspended near the ice.  Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8413 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:11 PM »
That’s the issue you can have with a graph style sonar. You can try to use a slip zoom if your unit has it. Zoom in on the bottom 20 or so feet .  You probably had a 20 degree transducer and it just can’t pick up that small bait that far down.  If you upside to a large jig head like 3/8 of an oz you’ll probably see it fine. But smaller jigs and spoons are going to get lost past that 50 foot mark. I can use a pimple on my flasher at 100 feet but not on my graph sonar. Also make sure your ducer is down past the bottom ice pointing down. If you have a skimmer rigged up you might be pointing it off to the side and it’s just missing your jig

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8414 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Monster I caught jigging ciscos today, didn't get an exact measurement somewhere between 10"-40". It's funny the only two real small ones I have caught both came like that, and this one would eat the last one. I wonder if they just stay deep for a certain part of they're life.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8415 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Monster I caught jigging ciscos today, didn't get an exact measurement somewhere between 10"-40". It's funny the only two real small ones I have caught both came like that, and this one would eat the last one. I wonder if they just stay deep for a certain part of they're life.

Absolutely!  You avoid being snacks

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8416 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:34 PM »
DerekF_17  I have the striker4 i can see small 2in paddletail in 100ft no problem with the split screen zoom using the graph I zoom the bottom 20-30fow. Like full throttle said make sure the transducer is under the ice and pointing straight down. I don't use the flasher screen I can't see my jig in deeper water using that mode
Go big or go home

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8417 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:33 PM »
The plastic size doesn’t really matter the sonar hits off the hard jig heads. If you have a 1/8 oz jig head it might not even show up. If you jump up to a 3/8 or bigger it will show .

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8418 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:35 PM »
 Does anybody have any recent info on ice condition at Ft Ann Beach ?  Planning a trip up and was wondering if it;s an option...  thanks

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8419 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Does anybody have any recent info on ice condition at Ft Ann Beach ?  Planning a trip up and was wondering if it;s an option...  thanks

Was safe ice about 100-150 yards off shore.  6-7"   A lot of new ice in center...not sure where  the good/ bad line is....but I know it was almost open water out near Dome on Saturday with the warm weather and rain.  The bay around the corner had even less ice...3 inches.  Not sure about pressure cracks around YMCA camp area. 

PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE.....it looks like there is lots of good ice....don't trust what you see!!!!

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8420 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:56 PM »
That’s the issue you can have with a graph style sonar. You can try to use a slip zoom if your unit has it. Zoom in on the bottom 20 or so feet .  You probably had a 20 degree transducer and it just can’t pick up that small bait that far down.  If you upside to a large jig head like 3/8 of an oz you’ll probably see it fine. But smaller jigs and spoons are going to get lost past that 50 foot mark. I can use a pimple on my flasher at 100 feet but not on my graph sonar. Also make sure your ducer is down past the bottom ice pointing down. If you have a skimmer rigged up you might be pointing it off to the side and it’s just missing your jig

Not having the transducer pointing straight down got me the first 2 times I used mine...almost brought it back broken...haha

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8421 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:12 PM »

Was safe ice about 100-150 yards off shore.  6-7"   A lot of new ice in center...not sure where  the good/ bad line is....but I know it was almost open water out near Dome on Saturday with the warm weather and rain.  The bay around the corner had even less ice...3 inches.  Not sure about pressure cracks around YMCA camp area. 

PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE.....it looks like there is lots of good ice....don't trust what you see!!!!

thanks for the info..I heard it was starting to make safe ice but I figured this weather beat it up pretty bad..... don't like the odds..time for plan B

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8422 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:19 PM »
That’s why the ice ducer is nice. They always point down lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8423 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:56 AM »
200hz is too high to penetrate deep water.  If you have 77hz or anything lower than 200hz it will help. If you have lots of surface noise lower the ducer a bit.  Ensure its clearing the bottom of the ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8424 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:58 AM »

Not from the warm water and rain sir.  It never really froze out there all season.   ;)

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8425 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:11 AM »
The plastic size doesn’t really matter the sonar hits off the hard jig heads. If you have a 1/8 oz jig head it might not even show up. If you jump up to a 3/8 or bigger it will show .

I mostly use storm style paddletail with the internal lead. Jon next time I'm up jigging lakers I'll try the 77hz mode but as u know I see my jigs just fine with the 200hz
Go big or go home

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8426 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:45 AM »
I  have a Garmin as well and was fishing in 80 fow and had problem seeing a tiny tungsten with a small perch plastic on it. Mine is on 200 Hz mostly and if I put it on 55 Hz that deep, I can't pick it up.

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8427 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Not from the warm water and rain sir.  It never really froze out there all season.   ;)

I agree 100%.  It looks safe...but it's not.  I'm afraid someone is going to see it and walk out without checking.....PLEASE DON'T.  BE SMART AND CHECK WHERE YOUR GOING.

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8428 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:12 PM »

I agree 100%.  It looks safe...but it's not.  I'm afraid someone is going to see it and walk out without checking.....PLEASE DON'T.  BE SMART AND CHECK WHERE YOUR GOING.

I drove up to Pilot Knob after work on Monday and there were two guy fishing right in front of the beach, maybe 100 yards out, if that. I like to fish there, but I'm passing for now, especially with the forecast well into next week calling for a warm-up.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8429 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Mdb launch is a mess .  The over flow froze then broke up again. About a foot deep of slop when pulling onto the ice. Noticed a hole big enough to swallow a small child about 150 ft out. Real mess. It would have been fine if they didn’t plow it. I don’t even think you could get a vehicle on the ice. It wasn’t broken up in the morning but it was when I came back . It’s going to get even worse with this warm weather coming. Took the wheeler out about past Long Island . I didn’t venture out over the deep stuff the snow started to get wet. Seen some guys off pilot knob about 1/2 way to dome . I didn’t even think that was frozen yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.