New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1339329 times)

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #8370 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Not for us walkers  :o

I walked well over a mile to our fishing hole last week and was it ever worth it   .....  but i'm not sure if I want to attempt it with a foot of snow.

If only you knew someone willing to pull y9u out with his sled on Sunday wink wink nudge nudge.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8371 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Yeah uncut angling is great. That’s small compared to some of his other trout. That’s the kinda fish they have in Canada !  He’s been slow on his videos this year tho  :'(

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8372 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:45 PM »
The absolute best videos watch all of them not just the ice for some reason he’s entertaining

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8373 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:32 PM »
That snow is a blessing ! My pop up actually was warm this week without the glair ice ! I have kold  kutter studs in my tires I was going 40mph no problem in that snow.

I was watching one of your recent videos...pretty cool stuff.  What are those anchors called you are using on your shanty? 

(We actually talked in the parking lot Tuesday as you were loading up...I had the jeep)

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8374 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Yeah I can remember you , that last video was the same day we talked. The ice anchors work really good. I got sick of bending the clam ones and it’s a pain in the butt to install them by hand. I just drill a hole down before you hit water and drop it in and pull up and it grabs the hole. I use an 8 inch auger. To unhook it I just tap on the top with my boot and pull up. I normally drill out the holes before I head out. Only down side is you need like 8 inches for them to work.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8375 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:25 PM »
Thought the fellas that do all the laker fishing might enjoy this video from Canada. I'm not a laker guy and I still enjoyed it ;D

Interesting channel... man his perch vid couldn't be any different from LG. Jigging 8lb test  :blink:

Offline mazdaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8376 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Yeah I can remember you , that last video was the same day we talked. The ice anchors work really good. I got sick of bending the clam ones and it’s a pain in the butt to install them by hand. I just drill a hole down before you hit water and drop it in and pull up and it grabs the hole. I use an 8 inch auger. To unhook it I just tap on the top with my boot and pull up. I normally drill out the holes before I head out. Only down side is you need like 8 inches for them to work.

Thank you.  always looking for better and easier ways to hook to the ice.  Those gusts that move the walls are not fun when your alone. 

Offline krobin222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8377 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Well i take it there fishing it then....

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8378 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Well i take it there fishing it then....

Maybe, or maybe not. If you only live in Queensbury take a ride up and check it out. I did that twice previously and reported it here. Two weeks ago there was still open water just a few hundred yards form the beach. I did hear there were people out near the edge, but I’m not that daring. I was going to go up last Sunday and check again but that 1-3” predicted turned into 11” and I had to plow snow. I’ll try to get up there this weekend for another peek, weather pending, and unless someone beats me to it.

JJ

« Reply #8379 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:05 AM »
I just talked to DEC fisheries, Hearthstone will be plowed later today. I asked if they could plow out the lower parking lot in addition to the beach so there will be more room to park.

Also, they closed the south gate and opened the north one because they have to cut about 60 pines down and don't want people parked in the way. So stay out of that area to the south.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8380 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Maybe, or maybe not. If you only live in Queensbury take a ride up and check it out. I did that twice previously and reported it here. Two weeks ago there was still open water just a few hundred yards form the beach. I did hear there were people out near the edge, but I’m not that daring. I was going to go up last Sunday and check again but that 1-3” predicted turned into 11” and I had to plow snow. I’ll try to get up there this weekend for another peek, weather pending, and unless someone beats me to it.

2 weekends ago 2 gentlemen took a swim of FAB.  I was south and heard the sirens...found out later that evening what happened...they found the thin ice.  There has been a ton of current out that way this year. 

Nice work JJ.  I moved that tree branch blocking part of the road leading to the lower lot.  It was driving me nuts!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8381 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I just talked to DEC fisheries, Hearthstone will be plowed later today. I asked if they could plow out the lower parking lot in addition to the beach so there will be more room to park.

Also, they closed the south gate and opened the north one because they have to cut about 60 pines down and don't want people parked in the way. So stay out of that area to the south.

thank you JJ!!   Was good to see you the other day!

JJ

« Reply #8382 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:26 AM »
No problem, nice running into you too, Lance.

Offline Hardwaterlipn147

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8383 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Everything still good at vets? Ok for machines out there?
weekend hooker!

JJ

« Reply #8384 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Hearthstone was plowed this afternoon. I drove down and the beach has been well cleared but the lower lot was not plowed. For some reason they plowed a big snow bank right up to the entrance to the lake, had my shovel and opened up a good spot to get through. Took a while.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8385 on: Feb 09, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for the update JJ. At least they cleared some of it.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8386 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Thanks as well.
Atv able to navigate on the lake ?

JJ

« Reply #8387 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:22 PM »
With chains, yes. Only about 11-12" of snow, it settled a lot.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8388 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Thanks again for helpful information.  Happy fishing

Offline DShooo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8389 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Vets is a slopfest as expected... Bite was great though.  WARNING to all, two fisherman on a sled went through and lost their snowmobile at the ridge that always forms along Crown Island.  They went in about 150 yards north of the northern point of Crown Island..beware.  They got out with a little help and met rescue team back at the lot.  Stay on top guys.
Side note...I caught at least 40 monster gills today.  I always catch about half a dozen targeting perch...never had one of these days though.
I'd rather be fishing...

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8390 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I have never caught a bluegill ice fishing LG.  I catch quite a few punkinseeds, are the gills in different locations??

JJ

« Reply #8391 on: Feb 10, 2018, 05:42 PM »
They are most likely seeds, the other species of sunfish in LG are redbreasts.

Offline DShooo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8392 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:44 PM »
They actually were seeds.  I have a habit of calling them all gills.  Sorry.
I'd rather be fishing...

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8393 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Do you guys catch pike ice fishing in Lake George?

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #8394 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:09 AM »

Oh yes... that's was my target when I started ice fishing the lake over 40 years ago.  A neighbor caught a 22 lb. Northern at Huletts when I was a teenager.

Tight lines,
Bob

Fishmon

« Reply #8395 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:33 AM »

There are some real monsters in there.  Largest I have seen is a 26 pounder caught in NW bay.

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8396 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:54 PM »
A lot more of the north end has crusted over in the past week.   Still some open water between silver bay and Hague.  I would use extreme caution if you are not familiar with the area.  Snow pack was way down today to the point wheelers could be used again.    Found all the dink perch you could ever want at 46'

Offline mike thebutcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8397 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:56 AM »
Hitting LG this morning if anyone wants to meet up. Gonna give MDB a go if the ice is cooperative. Shoot me a pm if anyone would like to get together.

Offline adkPhisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8398 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:46 AM »
My first time posting, But anyone going to Heartstone.  The final hill is extremely Icy.  We were there on Saturday, Two 4X4 trucks crashed into trees.  I was lucky enough to be pulled out by some awesome guy.  My recommendation is park on top and walk down.  Lakers were biting Sat am, but get there early if you go.

Offline rreale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8399 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:44 AM »
lot of water on ice at MDB, yesterday
ralph

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.