Author Topic: Time to go battery  (Read 5946 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Time to go battery
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2021, 07:15 AM »
This will be my 4th season with a 10" ion and what a pleasure it is to just pull the trigger and have it instantly cutting.  No working up a sweat getting the auger started and running.  No spilling gas, no fowling plugs.  On really cold days you will need to keep your battery warm in between running it.  I have a cheap, insulated lunch bag that I use.  You don't leave it in your car overnight.

Enjoy!

I miss the sound of an old gas auger ripping through ice as the sun comes up in the morning. That's my only complaint with electric.
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2021, 08:59 AM »
I miss the sound of an old gas auger ripping through ice as the sun comes up in the morning. That's my only complaint with electric.

I hardly fish sun ups anymore..more of an mid afternoon till past dark angler ...and then some ..but hearing first light augers and the smell of exhaust fumes is a thing especially on those mid February days when the ice is as hard as rock .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Sep 28, 2021, 05:31 AM »

I do too. That said, it almost catches me by surprise at this point when you hear one fire up in the dark.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Sep 28, 2021, 06:58 PM »
You won't regret going electric! I bought an Ion last year, because the old Jiffy model 30 was getting hard to pull with the bad shoulder. You'll appreciate the weight difference early and late season when the wheeler isn't out, too.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2021, 11:05 AM »
My input, for what it's worth.. I have two buddies that bought Ions in the last few years. They are great augers but if you are hard on equipment I would be wary of them. Both have had issues with the trigger/switch mechanism- albeit completely self inflicted. Don't just toss it in the jet sled and pull with a machine, you might beat it up. Personally I am a big fan of my Milwaukee/K-drill setup because they are so incredibly rugged. The chipper blade doesn't win any speed or beauty contests but they are just incredibly durable. I don't worry about how I treat my setup, you basically can't break that drill (I have a mud mixer as well as the big drill). I have a 6" and the almost 8" and I find myself preferring the 6" almost all the time. It's quicker and I prefer the smaller holes in my flip over. I will admit to missing a 10" auger later in the season when the ice gets thick and the winter is real cold- 10" holes are just way better in that situation. I'll drill overlapping triple holes when I need to but a 10" auger would be nice. One thing is for sure, I'll echo what everyone else says, it's worth the money. Electric augers are wayyyy superior to gas. Pull the trigger and it's steady, constant, instant cutting power.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2021, 02:03 PM »
My input, for what it's worth.. I have two buddies that bought Ions in the last few years. They are great augers but if you are hard on equipment I would be wary of them. Both have had issues with the trigger/switch mechanism- albeit completely self inflicted. Don't just toss it in the jet sled and pull with a machine, you might beat it up. Personally I am a big fan of my Milwaukee/K-drill setup because they are so incredibly rugged. The chipper blade doesn't win any speed or beauty contests but they are just incredibly durable. I don't worry about how I treat my setup, you basically can't break that drill (I have a mud mixer as well as the big drill). I have a 6" and the almost 8" and I find myself preferring the 6" almost all the time. It's quicker and I prefer the smaller holes in my flip over. I will admit to missing a 10" auger later in the season when the ice gets thick and the winter is real cold- 10" holes are just way better in that situation. I'll drill overlapping triple holes when I need to but a 10" auger would be nice. One thing is for sure, I'll echo what everyone else says, it's worth the money. Electric augers are wayyyy superior to gas. Pull the trigger and it's steady, constant, instant cutting power.
Had my Ion 4-5 seasons and no issues whatsoever but I baby my stuff.
IMHO, if you beat up your stuff, you deserve to have it let you down. I know the “younger” generations like to roughhouse equipment…wheelies, spinouts, donuts, etc.
But at some point I’m sure they pay for it one way or another.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2021, 03:36 PM »
IMHO, if you beat up your stuff, you deserve to have it let you down. I know the “younger” generations like to roughhouse equipment…wheelies, spinouts, donuts, etc.

I'm in total agreement on that....

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 20, 2021, 11:35 PM »

Yep, both those buddies are the type that hoot and holler all day, drinking beers and towing their jet sleds across glare ice too fast with the wheelers... I saw one time he flipped the whole freakin' jet sled and all his traps and cooler and Ion auger skipped all over the ice. Unfortunately "younger generation" doesn't apply, he's 10 years older than me and I'm a half century old myself.

To be fair, both their Ions are still working beauty, they just had to do a little surgery to the handle/switch mechanism. I treat my gear well but I'm a contractor so I typically use tools pretty hard and the auger is just another tool. I already had the Milwaukee platform so the k-drills made sense but I strongly considered the Ion. The 10" would be killer. I often consider adding a nice shaver style auger to the quiver, but its not necessary. I sure don't miss that 3hp Jiffy and how big/heavy it is but I'll admit it was pretty fun once it was finally standing up and running!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #38 on: Nov 21, 2021, 06:41 AM »

Me too. Maybe they could come with an add on auger engine device...reminds me of one from my childhood... ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 21, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Yep, both those buddies are the type that hoot and holler all day, drinking beers and towing their jet sleds across glare ice too fast with the wheelers... I saw one time he flipped the whole freakin' jet sled and all his traps and cooler and Ion auger skipped all over the ice. Unfortunately "younger generation" doesn't apply, he's 10 years older than me and I'm a half century old myself.

To be fair, both their Ions are still working beauty, they just had to do a little surgery to the handle/switch mechanism. I treat my gear well but I'm a contractor so I typically use tools pretty hard and the auger is just another tool. I already had the Milwaukee platform so the k-drills made sense but I strongly considered the Ion. The 10" would be killer. I often consider adding a nice shaver style auger to the quiver, but its not necessary. I sure don't miss that 3hp Jiffy and how big/heavy it is but I'll admit it was pretty fun once it was finally standing up and running!
Nothing wrong with the sound of a motor chugging at sunrise! In my case I went from old school chisel (one of those “Laconia” chisels my dad owned) right to the Ion at 65+ years old…man! What a lifesaver! 😂

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:29 PM »
Any thoughts on the strike master version versus the ion? Seems to be a couple hundred bucks less

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 22, 2021, 05:53 PM »
I have the strike master 10” everyone I’ve let try it who owned a ion bought one after  ;D

I don’t remember it being any cheaper though when I bought it 3 seasons ago
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2021, 08:56 AM »
I have the strike master 10” everyone I’ve let try it who owned a ion bought one after  ;D

I don’t remember it being any cheaper though when I bought it 3 seasons ago
i just got a strikemaster 10
Inch 3 weeks ago  ..no more jiffy stealth ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2021, 10:24 AM »

Same thing buddy, got rid of the 10” jiffy stealth 3 horse and shedded 20 lbs, no gas smell, more stealthy than the “ stealth” and the light in the dark is nice. The other Jason saw the difference 2 holes to one against the ion and made the switch  ;) more homes per battery too

I have multiple friends on here with the Ion who love it, and they are quality outdoorsman in there own right so I guess whatever shoe fits.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2021, 10:39 AM »
The strike master i saw listed for 399 which I thought was a pretty significant discount off ion which I thought was over 500, edit, nevermind I see the difference 24V v 40V on the price

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2021, 10:58 AM »
The strike master i saw listed for 399 which I thought was a pretty significant discount off ion which I thought was over 500, edit, nevermind I see the difference 24V v 40V on the price

I think there's quite a few Ion models, ranging from around $400 up to $700 for the flagship unit.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:02 AM »
I own 4 augers, 3 Generations of Jiffy and an Ion.. I like the Ion just fine, am I gaga over it , no, but it is way more than adequate , when I bought it, the strikemaster was not an option, if I did it over again, I'd most likely buy the strikemaster.. at this stage of my life I'm not buying any more fishing crap!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:31 AM »

Now that makes more sense  ;)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:32 AM »
I own 4 augers, 3 Generations of Jiffy and an Ion.. I like the Ion just fine, am I gaga over it , no, but it is way more than adequate , when I bought it, the strikemaster was not an option, if I did it over again, I'd most likely buy the strikemaster.. at this stage of my life I'm not buying any more fishing crap!

I know if you do buy anymore that 4 wheeler is coming home to me whatever the cost

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:45 AM »
 ;D
I know if you do buy anymore that 4 wheeler is coming home to me whatever the cost
;D ;D ;D

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:53 AM »

I just  replaced the stock marshmallow springs with some legit beefier ones.. also added a snow plow...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Nov 23, 2021, 01:09 PM »
I just  replaced the stock marshmallow springs with some legit beefier ones.. also added a snow plow...

Love it!

Hoping to fill my Maine Tag still I’ve scored a few times in NH then I’ll get the plow in too

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 23, 2021, 01:12 PM »
My Buddy just bought a place on Winnisqaum his wife hit me up and said he wanted an auger for Christmas i sent her a link for a strikemaster 40v have never used one i just bought a k-drill. Frank keeps raving about his so i want to try one on his dime ;D. hopefully he'll like it.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Nov 23, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Haha. He will

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 23, 2021, 05:07 PM »
Lv2hunt I got the strikemaster 40v 10" this summer, when the ice comes in we can get together and you can try it out since we dont live that far apart and you would more than likely have to come north to fish before you get ice down your way.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #55 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:08 PM »
Smart man
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2021, 09:09 PM »
Same thing buddy, got rid of the 10” jiffy stealth 3 horse and shedded 20 lbs, no gas smell, more stealthy than the “ stealth” and the light in the dark is nice. The other Jason saw the difference 2 holes to one against the ion and made the switch  ;) more homes per battery too

I have multiple friends on here with the Ion who love it, and they are quality outdoorsman in there own right so I guess whatever shoe fits.
Strike or GTFO !  ;D
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 24, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Lv2hunt I got the strikemaster 40v 10" this summer, when the ice comes in we can get together and you can try it out since we dont live that far apart and you would more than likely have to come north to fish before you get ice down your way.

sounds good 2 more weeks of hunting and then I'm all in on hardwater. going to try some smelt fishing this year too already loaded up on sabiki rigs hopefully the Kennebec freezes up this year.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:48 AM »
Froze great last year I did well that handful of tides I went up. hell I even did well locally when no one else even noticed you could get on  ;)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Nov 24, 2021, 09:49 AM »
The Smelting isn’t as bad as it’s portrayed though it def has slowed. It’s the poor ice that’s the real issue

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.