Author Topic: Is the ice going to be thick enough?  (Read 743 times)

Offline northernredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
Is the ice going to be thick enough?
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:04 PM »
So I'm newer to this area and was wondering if after all this rain and warmer weather, if there will even be any safe ice around here to fish on? If so where do you think would still be good enough? Thanks in advance guys.
Active Duty Outdoors Pro Staff

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is the ice going to be thick enough?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:35 PM »
should be plenty thick enough at Cascade.... I am headed there tomorrow

Offline solesoaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:11 PM »
give it a week if your concerned about it......might be a little water on top but it will be fine things will be cooling off quick, this heat wave wont last long
what did the fish say when he ran into a brick wall?

HooknHunter

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:41 AM »
So I'm newer to this area and was wondering if after all this rain and warmer weather, if there will even be any safe ice around here to fish on? If so where do you think would still be good enough? Thanks in advance guys.

Just be careful and don't go off helter-shelter.

I was on the north end of Magic all day on Wednesday.  It rained a good portion of the day.  Ice was good.  Fishing, not so much.  We caught fish but it was slow.

I spent all day yesterday on Cascade.  Buzzed all around the south end and ice was good, but you better be very careful around the heaves/pressure ridges.  I crossed one, but refused to cross the 2nd one I came to.  Then I went to the north end, Boulder creek.  Ice was good, but again, there were pressure ridges/heaves.  Otherwise, the ice is still if pretty good shape.  Very messy on top, but good quality and pretty thick for this early in the season.  Fishing was slow for everything.  If I remember correctly I caught 2 trout and about 10-15 perch.  My best fish for the day was about a 12-13 inch perch.  Over half of what I caught yesterday was under 7 inches.  The big ones are eluding me so far this year.  I've a few jumbos and gigantors, but they seem hard to come by so far.

I'm not too worried about this warm spell.  It will most likely cool off again before it becomes a problem.  As always be careful.

Offline northernredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. I'm originally from wisconsin so this warmer weather is throwing me off a little. Thanks again guys and good luck to all.
Active Duty Outdoors Pro Staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.