Author Topic: Henry's Lake  (Read 14604 times)

Offline sledmanwinder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Henry's Lake
« Reply #60 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:38 AM »
what baits seem to be working the best on henrys lake? what part of the lake has been really good? and how do i get to the hatchery side of the lake thanks
Fish Slayer

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #61 on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Best action I have had has been on a larger 3/8oz round head glow jig with green mister twister tail. Also been doing well on night crawlers and a yellow marshmallow. You can park at the fish hatchery but if you want a spot get there early as there limited parking spots. Everywhere I have been on the lake has been producing well except by the State Park boat launch area.

HooknHunter

« Reply #62 on: Dec 01, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Everywhere I have been on the lake has been producing well except by the State Park boat launch area.

RIGHT!   ;) ;) ;)
j/k.....

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:04 PM »
RIGHT!   ;) ;) ;)
j/k.....
I know nothing! ;D

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:27 PM »
I talked to the gal doing the survey every day and she said they are catching fish all around the lake . She has measured 5 - 27 1/2" Hybreds . All caught in differtent spots on the lake . The information she a gathering is going to determine the future of ice fishing in the coming years . If they think there is very little impact they may open it year round . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:56 PM »
The hatchery is on the north east corner of the lake . Drive past the turn off for the State Park . About a mile up the road there will be an intersection that turns left take it and its on the left hand side before Wild Rose Ranch . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Angulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:40 PM »
If I understand the regulations, you can have five rods. Is this correct?

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:57 PM »
If I understand the regulations, you can have five rods. Is this correct?
Yes 5 rods is correct.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Just wondering about conditions.  What is the current ice thickness and depth of snow.  Do they do any plowing around the lake?

HooknHunter

« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:20 PM »
Ice is free of snow.  I you access from the county dock and have a machine you can get anywhere on the lake.  Otherwise, it might be hit and miss as to getting on the ice with an ATV.  County dock should be plowed or at least easily accessable.  Fishing was slower today, so I'm told by a friend on another forum, but someone caught a 29" 11 lb cut at Staley's today.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Thanks for info.  Another guy and myself are planning a 3 day ice fishing trip for a group of older scouts.  We are going Dec 29-31.  Just trying to figure a place to go.  Worried the snow might give us problems.  We have some ATV's, but maybe only 1 snow machine.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Thanks for info.  Another guy and myself are planning a 3 day ice fishing trip for a group of older scouts.  We are going Dec 29-31.  Just trying to figure a place to go.  Worried the snow might give us problems.  We have some ATV's, but maybe only 1 snow machine.
Its not that far of a walk from the county boat dock to Staley Springs. Maybe 500-600 yards tops. I wouldn't hassle with the sleds or 4 wheels. Ive been there almost every week since ice up and done very well everywhere I walked to.

HooknHunter

« Reply #72 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:27 PM »
Beware, conditions could be completely different by then.  Good luck.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:41 PM »

That is what we are worried about. :-\

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:38 PM »
Didn't know if anyone has read the Post Register had a nice write up of a guy with his 2 boys who spent the night up on the lake already and said there is 12" of ice.  Pulled a nice 27" rainbow that the paper had pictures of.  Sounds like quite a few people are already up there.

Remember keep your stick on the ice!
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:42 AM »
A couple of days ago I caught a 25" Cutthrought and a guy that had to be 80 years old caught a 30" 11 1/2 pound Cutthrought .  Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:12 PM »
How its the night fishing on henrys?
sick days are for fishing!

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #77 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:06 PM »
How did you end up doing today HooknHunter? Did your GPS peak feeding times prove to be accurate? It was great to meet you out there today. Small world it is huh? It was still a beautiful day even though the fishing was slow! ;D

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Going to be up there on the 18th-19th near Staley. Look for black Cabela's shelter and one of us in a puffy "blueberry" ice suit. Swing by and say hi!
Any additional bait tips not yet mentioned above, specifically for the lunkers?
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Haha funny guy

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Hey, I didn't name names...but guess everyone knows who the blueberry is now.   ;D
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

HooknHunter

« Reply #81 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:44 PM »
How did you end up doing today HooknHunter? Did your GPS peak feeding times prove to be accurate? It was great to meet you out there today. Small world it is huh? It was still a beautiful day even though the fishing was slow! ;D

I ended up with 8.  The largest was about 21.  It was a slow day.  More pics may follow (if I ever get them).

The one pictured is a 22 inch Brook from the day before.

GPS peak times did seem to have some accuracy too them but it was such a slow day, it would be hard to say for sure.

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Mr. blueberry too you

Offline TLKN2LK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:28 PM »
We iced 33 over the weekend.  Lots of real nice cuts and hybrids.  Biggest brookie was 19".

Offline TLKN2LK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Oh yeah.  Around Staley.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Did anybody fish Henry's during Christmas break last year? I'm assuming it's going to be a zoo with all of the people, but were the fish in a funk by then or was it still pretty productive? Thanks for any info.

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:58 PM »
mooseymo and I fished it last year on the New Year's Day one day opening and yes, it was a zoo, but mostly because it was only open that one day.  I'm assuming it should be a little better this year since you can go whatever day you would like as opposed to everyone flocking to it on the same day.  It was also FREAKIN cold last year at -22 (as a high I think?!) and there were still plenty of hardwater troopers there toughing it out.  We still landed a few and heard of some hawgs pulled out even being that cold, but we didn't really know where we should have been fishing, we just followed the herds.  Also only had 1 hole each as the hand auger and thick ice didn't encourage us to drill too many, aside from the fact they would freeze up in minutes if not covered.

Going this weekend and the forecast is much more friendly.  :thumbsup:

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #87 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:12 PM »
mooseymo and I fished it last year on the New Year's Day one day opening and yes, it was a zoo, but mostly because it was only open that one day.  I'm assuming it should be a little better this year since you can go whatever day you would like as opposed to everyone flocking to it on the same day.  It was also FREAKIN cold last year at -22 (as a high I think?!) and there were still plenty of hardwater troopers there toughing it out.  We still landed a few and heard of some hawgs pulled out even being that cold, but we didn't really know where we should have been fishing, we just followed the herds.  Also only had 1 hole each as the hand auger and thick ice didn't encourage us to drill too many, aside from the fact they would freeze up in minutes if not covered.

Going this weekend and the forecast is much more friendly.  :thumbsup:
I have been going mid week and the most I have seen is 8 that includes the north county boat dock the heathery also been catching lots of 14 to 18" cuts 1 Brook 19" figured around 4# and one cutbow around 5# but there has been some hogs caught also.Nightcrowlers and marshmellow were most productive for us ice is about 7 to 8 " going tomarrow I'll let you know how it is.

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Im excited for henrys.  Hoping for a 10 lber

HooknHunter

« Reply #89 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Finally getting around to posting my pictures from my trip last week end.  Good luck to all headed up there.  Hope you get a HOG!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.