The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Suckers?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Pike Dude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suckers?
« on: Nov 27, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Are suckers legal in Vermont this year, or is that out also?

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Suckers?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:57 AM »
yes you can use them

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Yes , suckers are legal. The tricky part is getting your hands on some.  Read the FAQ on the F&W website, I don't think you can trap your own in a brook and then use them on Lake Champlain.

And Lake Champlain dealers can't import from other than Lake Champlain . 

I'm glad I like jigging for bluegills ;>).

gofish33

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:12 PM »
We all might be jigging for the gills until this thing shakes out.  When and if.  It doesn't appear that new Hampshire is going through the same dilema.  Might have to migrate.  Anybody know about bait availability in southern VT.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:31 PM »
Suckers are legal to use in Champlain if obtained from a Lake Champlain Zone bait dealer.

If there is a source of commercially available disease free farm raised suckers that Inland Zone bait dealers could get there hand on, then yes, you can use those suckers for Inland waters.

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:17 PM »
I don't see any bait shops listed in southeast VT.  I see one in Wallingford near Rutland. I'm thinking I'll use my VT license to fish the CT setbacks in New Hampshire assuming there are some bait shops in NH along the border.  I guess Vermont VHS rules will apply to the CT setbacks west of the state line like Hunts Meadows, Herricks and Whites Coves.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:22 PM »
Keep an eye on the list of bait dealers on the VT F&W website. I had an old list of dealers and there were a lot of mom and pop stores I never heard of. Then saw the recent listings, which are slowly being updated, last week Hog Island Wholesale wasn't listed and now it is. Both my local shops aren't listed yet but will probably be selling bait.

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I've been checking the web site, but there is nothing.  I'm starting to think there may be some safe ice.  One of the bait shops in Brattleboro ws on the trust system. Given that they need to give receipt of time and date, I bet that won't reopen.  Sadly in Wilmington, by Harriman Reservoir, the owner of the bait shop Delar Depot died last year, so it seems that shop has closed.  I'm not liing the pros[ects thus far.

Any hue alewife stuffed steelies coming up Lewis yet?  What are the odds we'll see great lakes sized fish running out of Champ given the millions of alewives.  I'm not even going to rant about the lost opportunity on the Lamoille. LOl.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Lewis for me this year was a bust, I may try it again next week when I have a day off. I was lucky enough to catch one keeper salmon and one average laker on Champlain on one of three trips out. Dunmore trib/shorline was a bust too. A few salmon went up Sucker brook mid October, but didn't see anything after that for weeks.

As for monster steelies, we'll see how big they get on a pellet diet first. Our broodfish are reaching age three this spring. As of now they are around 2.5 lbs each guestimate, eating fairly well, probably 1% could give us eggs in a month, the remainder are males starting to milt or bright and tight females. We are going to keep an eye on them every month until they start to give us eggs, hopefully when it is warm in March or April.

Offline Donquad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:58 PM »
I don't see any bait shops listed in southeast VT.  I see one in Wallingford near Rutland. I'm thinking I'll use my VT license to fish the CT setbacks in New Hampshire assuming there are some bait shops in NH along the border.  I guess Vermont VHS rules will apply to the CT setbacks west of the state line like Hunts Meadows, Herricks and Whites Coves.

There are no shops on the NH side unless you go to keene or swanzey. The only other one i know is the guy in Brattleboro VT up past memorial park. There was Big Daves in Hinsdale but they closed 2 years ago now.
I fished the setbacks often! Good luck!
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.