New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sacandaga challenge  (Read 19998 times)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
Re: sacandaga challenge
« Reply #330 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I drilled and sounded three holes Friday, then about 6:45 drilled new holes right next to them at 7 baited those three then drilled the other two and set up. The guys that did  get caught will not do that again. That kind of cold weather it is tough to keep holes open

Offline Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #331 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:03 AM »
I agree with Hunts, 1500 is the right amount of fisherman and yes, this would be a great lake if the state would stock...which we stocked walleye last fall for the first time in a long while. Once the forage base gets better established the walleye sizes and weights will increase too. The big problem we will never overcome is the lack of a vegetated shoreline to provide nursery habitat for forage fish as well as pike, walleye and bass. With the HRRD dropping water levels to supply the Hudson every year...this is something we will never see.

I think the start time is fine, its a tricky lake in the winter and I think if more people went out in the dark there would be safety issues. More guys heading out early in the AM could be a liability for the sponsors. Keep in mind this is more about having fun than getting lots of big fish. We entered 9 and won $$ for one. Last year we entered 2 and won $$ for one of those. Regardless, and we fish hard, we were there to have a good time and posibly win a prize or two. A few more fisherman may work...that's a lot of tip-ups!!! I like the fact that the sponsors went around and curbed early fishing..nobody likes a cheater. Other than that, I did not hear of any other problems with the fisherman cheating...no Mohawk fish entered. Also, this lake gets hammered with tournaments throughout the year, GSLFF, BASS, wally's F&F...etc. Not a bad thing but in this type of lake it has an impact over the years.

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #332 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:17 PM »
so are walleyes the only fish you can weigh in

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:21 PM »
so are walleyes the only fish you can weigh in
Yes
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Hunts, Dave knows Lee and myself personally and we love the Sac but when we go to Vermont the regs on the lake we fish is 1 walleye above 19 & nothing between 17-19 and we did see some better walleye but won't happen overnight.
Got Bugs?

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #335 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:04 PM »
If they raise the slot it will take about two yrs to see a differance.Well worth the wait

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:59 AM »
Here is my take on the WC. I believe that 1500 fishermen is the right number, but it should be 1500 people who fish. If you really are going to fish buy the wrist band. For those that only want to get tickets for the prizes there should be a way to get a ticket for that only. It would add more money for prizes and at the same time allow those of us who fish to have a better chance of getting into the contest.
The walleyes do re-produce in this lake but it would be good to stock. The state collect 300million+ eggs every year. Even if only ONE million were put into the lake on a regular basis it would help offset those years where there isn't a good hatch with the fish in the lake. Not all of those ONE million are going to make it, but even 10,000 is better than none.
Changing the hours of fishing is a toss up issue. Sure fishing the early and late bite is great but no matter what the hours, it is the same for all who enter and you will never stop those that want to cheat.
If we all want better walleye fishing on this lake the state should look real hard at changing the rules to 3 fish a day of 18". Now is the time to do this as there are a higher percentage of those fish in the lake at this time than there has been in years. If all those 16/17" fish that are being kept today were back in the lake we could have a great walleye lake in a few years....hunts2long
I Agree
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #337 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:53 AM »
that may be how its done for the "northern challenge" but for the "Walleye Challenge" taxes ARE PAID!!

If we have over 1200 registrants in the NYS IPA events, we will do the same with the taxes being paid on the wheelers.  Less than that number and it isn't feasible, and I suspect it is the same for the N.C. I also agree with the concept of more prizes spread across more anglers, rather than one larger prize. However, if something like a truck can be acquired as a sponsorship (without dimishing the prize pool), then I would say it is a plus.
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:55 AM »
Our laws here in Ct. 18"+ and 2 fish daily, Our lakes that do have walleye,have some real monsters in them. some of are lakes are stocked with Walleye,Most of them they do not reproduce in

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #339 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:59 PM »
i would love to see 2 or 3 a day at 18 plus inches.sick of catching big head pencils out of the lake.we do catch a nice one here and there but not alot.for how delicious they are they need to do something.I for 1 keep 0.and that goes for the trout we catch too.put em back guys then they get bigger!easy concept but hey to each their own.  ;D

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #340 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:52 PM »
hunts i like the way you think about these things.......aint gonna lie..i fished all night the night before..and about 1/2 hr bfoe contest started..i got a 2.4 lb walleye...yup you coulda came by my shack..it was stiff as a board..dint weigh it in cuz i wasn't cheatin...we weiged in i think 7 fish that day an hit the money twice...but alas none were mine...should i have had my tips out ..prolly...but i knew i didn't cheat...so i can live with myself...but anyway..good point you make about the challenge and the lake in general...
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.