The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hathaway Point  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
Hathaway Point
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:40 AM »
I took a ride to Killkare yesterday. There was 2 people on the left side of Hathaway Point fishing. The ice is not good at the park and not sure if it will firm up this week. Might need a boat to fish for white perch. Looks like I won’t be fishing for white perch this year. Been fishing for yellow perch at Carmi this past week.

I was going to drive down Hathaway Point Road but backed out before I got to the big tree on the left. I have a bigger truck this year and was concerned trying to back out with the mirrors folded if I couldn’t turn around.  :o

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hathaway Point
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2024, 04:24 PM »
GF saw a FB post today about someone catching white perch by the can. I went up there about noon and squeezed my truck down Hathaway Point Road. 2 trucks parked there. Stopped at Kill Kare first, 2 trucks there. Talked to 2 guys who were fishing for yellow perch, they haven't seen any white perch. There was a shanty out by the can. I drilled a hole here and there and only caught some dink yellow perch. Went out to align with the can but not near the other guys. Fourth hole I drilled was about 25'. Caught a couple white perch with a forage jig and some spikes. The bottom 5' was lit up with white perch on the Vexilar. I took 2 eyes from one of the perch and filled a bucket with that jig and the same eye. Started a second bucket, fish in the first bucket were jumping out. Broke the hook on the jig getting it out from a big perch. Had another one ready to go with an eye. Caught them until I left at 3:30pm. The other guys in the shanties left and I don't like being on the ice by myself. I left with fish biting like crazy.

Caught several yellow perch from the same hole as the white perch and threw them back.

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2024, 07:08 PM »
Glad to see someone catching some whites. Took a ride there after pike fishing Saturday around 2pm. Not a single person out. Ice didn't  look too good. This weeks weather won't help. Be safe everyone!

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2024, 08:49 PM »
Two years ago when I got back into ice fishing, I lucked out when the white perch migration happened. Everyone was very helpful. I had a bucket full of white perch and filleted them with a regular fillet knife. Took me 2.5 hours. I have since got a Mr. Twister and a 110v Rapala fillet knife. I used the Mr. Twister today and took me 1.75 hours to clean the bucket plus.

My GF is always good sport and did the bagging, tagging and freezing as I kept filleting. She helps butcher deer with me as long as I do the dragging, skinning and quartering!

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2024, 07:33 AM »
Took a ride to Kill Kare and Hathaway Point yesterday afternoon. 2 cars at Kill Kare. I could see 2 individuals way out in the bay. I thought that it was a little risky. Saw two guys getting ready to go out to Hathaway Point for white perch. I told them where I caught them on Sunday. I recognized one of them from 2 years ago during a white perch frenzy. He has the state record for white perch.

I'm officially done for the season. I fished at Carmi for several trips this year for yellow perch as the ice was good. Fished there this past Saturday. Fished Champlain only once and that was Sunday. Ate some of the yellow perch when only had a few, put 7 packages in the freezer with another 10 packages of white perch.

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2024, 11:17 AM »
Going to ride up Wednesday to try to get out, it'll suck if I can't . But at least it will be a nice day. Just sucks it's   almost 2 hours from west hartford vt

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2024, 02:23 PM »
Good luck and be safe, it's 65 here today. I put my ice fishing stuff away and washed my truck!!

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2024, 03:17 PM »
Thanks Bob, I will post again if I am successful

Offline FishinRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2024, 04:43 PM »
Just went to Killkare and the shoreline is pretty broken up. First 3-4 feet is all big chunks floating, be careful if you attempt to venture on. There was still 1 person out there, looked like he parked on Point Rd and walked on from there.

Offline JRK22.250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2024, 03:00 PM »
Checked killkare this morning.  Found a spot 100 yards or so before boat ramp to get on with a board. Didn't  go out very far because I was the only one there. Couldn't get on off pt road anywere. Only 5" of not great ice. Self preservation told me not to bother and wait untill next year.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2024, 03:56 PM »
went for drive around the st.albans bay area . stopped at Georgia town park and the white caps were 3 feet and no ice in site. I have never seen ice out in the bay this early and I've been fishing the bay for over 50 years. If your in the area you should check it out.  Unbelievable ..People were out 300 yards off shore 2 days ago fishing.   

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:20 PM »
We took a ride to Kill Kare and Hathaway Point today mid-day. No sign of ice except for the stuff washed up on shore from the wind and waves. There is some punky ice by the Hathaway boat ramp and the general area, but I wouldn't walk on it. Saw a bald eagle flying around the waters edge at the end of Point Road.

Hard to believe I was just fishing there last weekend. I have a boat but it's kind of a pain to get it out now for fishing. Wish I had a small boat to take out in St. Albans Bay to fish for perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.